Tumbao w open slap pattern

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Tumbao w open slap pattern

Postby TONE74 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Practicing this morning with some timba in the background and using a tumbao that I put together myself with a piece of a Tomasito pattern.

Same as regular tumbao but with slaps its goes: l o slap- r o slap- l bass- l tip- r o slap- l o slap -r open- r open then the 2 side playing regular tumbao bass tip slap tip base tip open open then you can also play the big drum as a regular tumbao but starting with 3 slaps: l o slap- r o slap- l o open slap followed by the first pattern. if you make it swing it sounds pretty good specially if your open slaps are crisp...

I'm sure you guys have similar patterns that sound like or same (ya todo esta inventao)to this but if you don't its something you can throw in the mix..

Oh and if you guys have any muff patterns for timba and don't mind sharing I would be interested since I only have one or two....
TONE74

Re: Tumbao w open slap pattern

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

The Tumbao with the "open slap' patterns are not new..I call it the "open hand style" of playing(which is the first style I learned back in the 60's from my teacher who was taught by Armando Peraza)...Mongo played that way and made his 8th note slaps in his Tumbao become 'patented'...now patterns of course in Timba are 'open handed' playing without the traditional Heel Tip Slap Tip Heel Tip Tone Tone, this is the 'marcha tipica'... the thing about playing Timba, as I have learned it, is that it's the 'changing of the gears' that changes what you play as well and how...there are also a ton of muff patterns as well as all the rest with tone,slap, palm,heel tip, etc..
JohnnyConga

Postby TONE74 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:03 am

Hey JC, yeah I know its nothing new that's why I said "ya todo esta inventao" but I figured to some people starting out it would be something useful. Would you happen to have any muff patterns you can share I got a lot of versions of tumbao but none with muffs...
TONE74

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 am

Asere aprenda esto, despues del coro de "Si tu me dice hermano... Yo te digo vamos ... x2" No es tumbao es una variacion de tres golpe de guaguanco moderno en clave de son 3/2, nice use of muffs on the tumba. Escucha las letras tambien que son bien buenas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW79beht ... re=related
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 am

Just to chime in on Tirso, his latest CD is awesome, recorded with his French based band, La Mecanica Loca. Great modern Cuban Salsa.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm

I just listened to some of the songs on that new album by Tirso Duarte y La Mecanica Loca on YouTube. It is nice, but I like some of his older stuff better. Tirso is a super talented singer, pianist and songwriter, the best of the best, he has sung with all the top bands in Cuba but he needs to stay with a band that can do him justice. The tumbador on the new album sounds competent but a little uninspired, not the best example of timba patterns to learn from.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Agreed. 8)
His early break came as being the pianist for Charanga Habanera in their early days ie Lola Lola, El Condon, Agua Mala etc etc.
I caught up with him while I was in Cuba, he was back for a while, taking a break from his promoter work in Colombia, he absolutely killed at casa de la musica miramar when he got up with Elito Reve y su Charangon. Great singer with amazing range and sabor. Been a fan of his for many many years.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby TONE74 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Jorge, K vuelta asere? Saw you in Cetral Park a couple of weeks ago. Was gonna say whats up but you were on clave and dint want to distract. I agree about your opinion on that Tirso song. Actually got that cd but haven't focused on it since I have a few on heavy rotation.
Gonna give it some attention though and see if I can absorb something. THanks
TONE74

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 pm

No te vi mi hermano, next time don't worry about distracting me, even that Dominican bongocero de bachata that tries to play quinto can't throw off my clave! Como esta la familia? If you can get away from the baby this afternoon and get to the Central Park rumba, I can show you the part, it fits right into the rumba too. I plan to get there around 5 or so. Otherwise, another day.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Jorge why do they start so late with the Rumba?...In my day we were already playing at noon time ...
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 pm

With your permission, a quick thread detour...
Because the cops kick us out at 10 pm and no one can play 10 hours straight. Actually 5 is early, because it is getting late in the year and gets dark earlier. A lot of times in the summer it doesn't start until 6 or 7. I think the tambores are mostly earlier in the afternoons and people come after that. I haven't been to a rumba at noon for over 30 years, usually they end much earlier than that, by 5 or 6 am. :D :D :D
Seriously, we tried for years to get the winter Sunday rumbas to start by 6 or 7. Every week people would come later and later, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. About 6 or 8 years ago at the Sports Plus Sunday night rumbas in the Bronx, I remember a few times no one being there yet at midnight, but by 2 am the place was packed. People would head over there after the Esquina Habanera rumba in NJ ended at 1:30 am. Protests from some of us that we had to work early Monday morning fell on deaf ears, we were clearly in the minority. If you know a secret to starting rumbas at 3 pm without paying for free beer/rum please let us know. Now let me go, I can't be late for the rumba...
jorge

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises