rumba abierta??

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: rumba abierta??

Postby onile » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Humility! Humbleness! Honesty!
These go a long way when used sparingly, and at the right time!

I'm very proud of you JC! You applied all three, and exactly where they were needed!
Unfortunately, others seem to just go along with the Alpha Male when it serves them.

I personally, heard, and recognized his pattern as rumba abierta, both in my own lessons/and teaching, as well as in other styles used over the years! Teaching is not about crashing down on someone's effort in their journey towards learning to master, or just enjoy an instrument, but rather to encourage, and correct when needed, however carefully so as not to discourage their interest, or crush their spirit! I've seen that way too often here on this forum. Those who have played, mastered and have availed themselves to teach others, should keep this in mind. It's a heavy burden, and as with children growing up, we should be mindful of the words we use to teach, or redirect! Remember, you/we/me, are the keepers of the flame, and it's through those who are here espousing techniques of learning/playing that others will plan their journey along this percussion highway!

REMEMBER:

Coach Your Student Don't Drive them
Generate Enthusiasm Don't Generate Fear
Encourage With "We" Don't Isolate with "I"
Help Fix The Technique Don't Look To Place The Blame
Show How It's Done Don't Talk About Your Knowledge
Develop Students Don't Use Them
Give Credit When Proper Don't Take It When Not

We need to remember to HELP, not DESTROY, or HUMILIATE others on this website. I've done my fairshare in the past, and for that I've learned my own lessons!

Stay Well!

Onile!
Attachments
399315_471758769556867_2043227908_n.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 am

TKS ONILE!.... here is my Rumba Abierta/NY Ol skool style..Im playing all the parts...
https://soundcloud.com/johnny-conga/mul ... nx-rumba-1
JohnnyConga

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 am

Very sweet Riddim' Johnny!

Does anyone have the two main conga parts written down - I think there were 2 supporting parts in there, right? So far, we only have one on this thread.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby joaozinho » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 am

I agree 100% with Onile.It takes lot of caracter and personallity to admit the error,You just increase my respect and admiration for you,Johnny Conga!!
What a beautifull music you got there,but now you let me confuse,the paternn that you play in two congas is not the same then mine :? there just one rumba abierta,or there are different paterns that can be call like that??

Thanks!!
joaozinho

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks Guys!..well there is Rumba, Rumba Columbia, Rumba Abierta, Rumba Flamenco, Rumba Payaso(old Spaniard type)and now Rumba-Guarapachangeo...the Rumba i am playing is closer to Rumba Abierta(open/free) ,ol skool(the way we learned it in NY back in the 60's)...your Rumba is the African Columbia(which is named after a train stop in Matanzas,where the station workers loaded and unloaded the trains and on their lunch hour would "Rumba" on boxes or what ever was available) one Rumba is in Rumba 3/2 Rumba Clave and the other is in 6/8 Clave(the one your playing is in 6/8 clave- Matanzas style)...so you understand the difference from Havana Rumba and Matanzas Rumba..
JohnnyConga

Postby joaozinho » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Johhny Conga,you're playing rumba columbia to me
http://youtu.be/8fQvSM8-_IQ this Columbia from Panga is the exact same patern of your post(you playing faster off course)in a 6/8 feel.
I dont understand,you admit that i was playing rumba abierta,and now you said that is rumba columbia??I know rumba columbia and is not what I'm playing :!:
joaozinho

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Once again my damn dyslexia kicked in on me, your Right Joaozinho... :oops: .I am playing Rumba Columbia...on 2 congas by myself...Yes I am playing the "Havana' style Rumba Columbia very fast.in 2/2 cut time, very fast ...not in 6/8... Panga is playing more in the 6/8 pulse..
. for me.. pa eso fumo???...hahahaha..chacho!... 8)
JohnnyConga

Postby joaozinho » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm

:D No problem johnny Conga,now is clear :wink:

Thanks for your help!!
joaozinho

Postby jorge » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Rumba abierta is just an open rumba, meaning that the group of musicians playing rumba is open to others besides a fixed group of players. Others at the rumba are able to sit in and play. There are many recordings of "rumba abierta" with different rhythms, rumba abierta is not a name of a specific rhythm.
jorge

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Jorge - great insight, thanks!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby joaozinho » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 am

So if I play rumba columbia with friens and "open it"to other's I call that rumba abierta??
What makes a Rumba abierta?the numbers of player's and the freedom to play and improvise or a patern,that can incorporate some variations,but remain the base and the reference?
joaozinho

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 am

I'd like to just add my 2c worth, my personal experience, take it as you will, make from it whatever you like, now, in Cuba, the term rumba abierta is not a specific pattern or rhythm, it refers to as it translates: open rumba. Meaning it is a form of rumba where greater improvisation in the form of what is being played as well as instrumentation. Example, segundo part of Guaguanco on conga, mixed with a Salidor cajon and no tumba, while a bata can be added in playing a 6/8 part while sharing a common beat one, or a mix of a bembe part played with a Columbia part, shared between various drummers ie "open/abierto/abierta" It can also be a very open or impovised derivative of any rumba form played openly similar to guarapachangueo mixed with personal open feel, just as one could play an open more free flowing Tumbao or songo in an 'open jam or descarga'. Just an example, not being strictly specific. It's just rumba drumming with parts that fit together in clave, adapted to suit a general feel within the rumba. It is not Guarapachangueo, Guaguanco, Columbia nor Yambu nor Bembe etc it is 'abierto' ie open.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby joaozinho » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 pm

ok Abakua,I understand,thanks for the clear explanation.so if I combine "my" paternn with other's instruments and improvitation I can call it rumba abierta?right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qkPaCWNPj8 A good example
joaozinho

Postby guarachon63 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Rumba abierta is just an open rumba, meaning that the group of musicians playing rumba is open to others besides a fixed group of players. Others at the rumba are able to sit in and play. There are many recordings of "rumba abierta" with different rhythms, rumba abierta is not a name of a specific rhythm.

That's what I thought at first too, and though I still don't think it is any specific rhythm, after poking around on the web a bit it seems to be used in a band context to indicate one of those little breakdowns when the melodic instrumentation drops out and the conguero does a fast "rumba" for a while":

http://books.google.com/books?id=zGC_ZNOrKDwC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=rumba+abierta&source=bl&ots=eRuGEZayQo&sig=uxZP8u_jEofgdFU_MWj35a9emx8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9RFLUde8Mari4APqu4DgDQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwADgy#v=onepage&q=rumba%20abierta&f=false

Odilio Urfé also notes its theatrical roots:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Oe2YbbO7cpoC&pg=PA230&dq=%22rumba+abierta%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eBJLUcjLH5DA4AOG7ICACQ&ved=0CGgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22rumba%20abierta%22&f=false

I also get the feeling it could be thought of as just sort a "loose" ad libitum bit, or also maybe refer to any kind of fast rumba, similar to, dare i say...jiribilla???
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby joaozinho » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Great book,thanks for sharing,painfull to read,but so important two understand the deepness of AfroAmerican history and music!!
joaozinho

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises