Playing Technique - Old habits die hard

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby rhythmisit » Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:17 pm

For a long time I have been playing Tablas - I am now fascinated with Afro Cuban rhythms. I bought my self set of 3 Poncho Sanchez signature series congas. I love them because of rich deep sound. My questions for experienced congueros here is - I tend to introduce my index finger 'rim shots' like Tablas now and then while playing congas. Although it sounds crisp but I should avoid that - I want to be able to play authentic strokes B - H - T - S- s - O etc. Also noticed using low stands helps me get better richer sound out of my congas. By the way my setup is Tumba(on my left) Quinto (Middle) Conga (my right) - I tune them two notes apart on any pitch. Tumba being lower note then Conga on middle note and quinto being higher note. Any suggestions may help. ???
rhythmisit

Postby Simon B » Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:25 pm

Though single index finger rim shots are not one of the 'fundamental' strokes, they add nice colour on the congas. Anything goes in the right place and time - nails, thumbs, fists, etc. I sometimes substitute the typical conga open slap sound for a two or three finger rim-shot on the edge when I need to play more quietly or want to vary the tone.

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises