Slaps on different drums - big drum, small hands...

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Zoomby » Sun May 27, 2001 3:02 pm

hi!
I'm a beginner in conga drumming and have a LP Aspire Quinto and Conga. On the quinto my slap is quit good, but I have a problem with the conga. I can make a slap, but it's not really closed, though I use closed-slap-technique. I suggest the reason could be my small hands. Do I have a disatvantage because of my hand size or should I concentrate on the conga more intensive? What do you think?

Ciao Zoomby

P.S. @ Mike. Are you german? Wenn ja, schöne Grüsse!
Zoomby

Postby paulo da salvia » Mon May 28, 2001 12:39 pm

hi Zoombie,
as said in many other posts, slap maybe the most difficult sound over congas.
Don't worry about the size of your hands: have you vere noticed how small are Giovanni Hidalgo's hands?
Maybe you can have a difference in the sound if you have 'slim' or 'fat' fingers.
Anyway just keep on practicing and a good slap will come out very soon, also on conga drum.
Are you planning to buy a tumba?
The cuban style is to play with conga and tumba and to use quinto only for soloing. In my opinion this the very best way to play congas because using conga and tumba you can have a better sound: a quinto would be tuned too high for a Son or a Guaguanco.
Welcome to Congaplace.
Stay tuned!
Paulo
paulo da salvia

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises