Dealing with 4 drums - Playing/tuning/traveling

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby 120decibels » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:53 pm

I recently purchased an old Gon Bops 9 3/4" quinto to add to my collection. I'd love to know how others tune when playing with 4 drums. What pitches or intervals do you use? I'm about to start trying to get the Gon Bops drum to sound good with my three LP Classics. I'd like to know what your opinions are on tuning four drums. Johnny?

Also, now that I have four drums to choose from, which ones do all of you think I should take with me for gigs when I only want/need two drums? What about 3 drums? I'm inclined to take my new 9 3/4" quinto and my LP Classic 12 1/2" tumba. However, I also have the the LP Classics in 11" and 11 3/4". I know, it's a matter of personal preference, but I want to hear what some of you would do in my situation.

Thanks,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:00 pm

Hi Zach - if it were me I would definitely take your LP Classic 11 and 12 1/2 inch drums. No doubt your Gon Bop has a fabulous sound, but I think that a quinto any smaller than 11 inch cramps the hands for many techniques, especially if you've got fairly big mits like mine.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:11 pm

Hey Simon!

Thanks. I hadn't thought about that. I too have large paws :D , so I will take your advice to heart.

The new drum is on it's way. It had to be shipped from CA. I'm really excited to get it! :)

Thanks,

Zach
120decibels

Postby michaelangelo rosario » Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:06 pm

mr zach... if you are going to use 2 drums, then take the quinto and tumbadora... tune the quinto a little low and the tumba SLIGHTLY higer. that shound do it.. good luck.
michaelangelo
michaelangelo rosario

Postby michaelangelo rosario » Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:07 pm

mr zach... if you are going to use 2 drums, then take the quinto and tumbadora... tune the quinto a little low and the tumba SLIGHTLY higer. that should do it.. good luck.
michaelangelo
michaelangelo rosario

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:25 pm

:D HI ..i TUNE 4 DRUMS LIKE THIS...tUMBA TO G, CONGA TO BFLAT FOR THE 3RD ,SECOND CONGA TO THE MIDDLE C AND THE QUINTO TO THE OCTAVE C CREATING A NINTH. AT YOUR SERVICE... JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:27 pm

Johnny,

So, you use two congas, a quinto and a tumba. Are both congas the same size? If so, is that because Pearl only makes three sizes, or is it personal preference?

Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:45 am

HI YOU CAN USE 2 CONGAS OR 2 TUMBAS DEPENDING ON WHAT KINDA OF A SOUND YOUR LOOKING FOR I LIKE TO USE TUMBA CONGA CONGA QUINTO WHEN PLAYING 4 AND 2 TUMBAS 2 CONGAS AND ONE QUINTO WHEN PLAYING 5...AT YOUR SERVICE..JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:17 am

;) Hi everybody,
when I on 4 tumbadoras, i have 2 tumbas, one conga and a quinto because i'm loooking for a deep sound. When I play on five I add a requinto on my left and when I play on 3 i use 2 tumbas and a conga.
Bye
Your french friend
Laurent
Laurent Lamy

Postby 120decibels » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:11 pm

Thanks to everyone! I have a lot to chew on now. I've been using an old 12" drum in my setup when I wanted to practice with four drums.

However, I think it will be very interesting to bring this small quinto into the mix. For rumba, there is an obvious use for this drum by itself or in the mix with my other congas. I am looking forward to finding other ways to use the 9 3/4" drum.

I'd be interested to hear about the other 4 drum setups that people have.

To balance my interest in multiple drum setups, I've been playing a lot with only my 11" quinto. It forces me to be more inventive and creative in the way I use the sounds of the drum. I got this idea from listening to some Eddie Palmeiri tracks. There are lots of tracks when the conga player does the whole tune on one drum and sounds great! Just a thought I wanted to throw in there...

Thanks again,

Zach

Edited By 120decibels on Oct. 29 2002 at 12:12
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:56 pm

To balance my interest in multiple drum setups, I've been playing a lot with only my 11" quinto.

I'm the same - I was reminded in particular of the need to work out on quinto the other day when I heard for the first time the Deep Rumba CD on American Clave with Richie Flores doing incredible quinto solos. Naturally I've got a long way to go!

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises