Question for Basic Congas placement

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Question for Basic Congas placement

Postby CalvinP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 am

I've noticed that as a drummer, I saw most if not all congas setting during live traditionally is with the conga on the left hand while requinto is on the right. I am a drummer, so it is natural for me to set my requinto on my left and my conga on the right. Does anyone else play them this way? Or I am just too weird to change? Low tone for drummer is always on the right, just as right foot is for kick drum. Though some could play both sides. Please tell me why the bigger conga is always on the left traditionally?
Last edited by CalvinP on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalvinP

Re: Basic Congas placement

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi Calvin...most players set up in the right or left manner, If your right handed, u set it up like that..now i use 2 congas and a tumba when i set up so my Conga is in the middle Tumba to my right and the other conga to my left...Im right handed so thats the way I set up ..It has nothing to do with setting up like a drummer at all...Requinto shouldnt even be used, that is for Rumba, not for traditional playing in a band...If you need help I am here just email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com ....
JohnnyConga

Re: Question for Basic Congas placement

Postby CalvinP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Thank you Johnny for clearing it up for me - I definitely will hit you up via the email if I need further help.
CalvinP

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises