Help for new Conga player! :)

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Help for new Conga player! :)

Postby BongoMuzik » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi my name is Dan, I am a bongo player for about 4-5 years. I just added a conga to my set up and have a couple questions. First, how do I keep my thumbs from whacking the rim of the drum? :) Also, does anyone know of any good resources on conga playing like any books, websites or etc. My main concern is learning the main strokes correctly. Thanks in advance! Dan
BongoMuzik

Re: Help for new Conga player! :)

Postby Derbeno » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 am

Lot's of Charlatans out there especially on youtube so be very careful.

Of all the intro stuff Mike Spiro's Introduction to the Conga drum DVD is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-To-T ... B001LR9Q4C

Your thumb will touch the sides and develop callous. If you are whacking it then it's a matter of technique. Mike does talk about this in the DVD. Better still a few hours with a good teacher will be money well spent
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 am

Derbeno is absolutely right. In addition to his sage advice, Johnny Conga, a pro member of this forum, and a conguero with years of invaluable experience, offers Skype lessons and instruction that have become a valued resource for many. Search our threads for JC "Johnny Conga". His advice and wisdom will serve you well.
CongaTick

Postby vinnieL » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 am

I highly recommend JC for Skype lessons to get you going I am fortunate enough to live within 4 miles of him and take lessons with him. He has the ability to explain why things are not sounding well and corrects your technique. Everybody wants to play but paying special attention to technique makes life much nicer down the road
vinnieL

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises