Eddie Montalvo tumbao variation

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Eddie Montalvo tumbao variation

Postby Mario2CP » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello,
I'd like to ask for a favor some experienced conguero.

Could someone please break down for me variation starting 1:46 at embedded video? I would really like to learn it but it's too fast for me up despite sequential pausing.
I bet someone knows must know it here

Thank you
Mario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k86b7Z-0bM
Mario2CP

Re: Eddie Montalvo tumbao variation

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:28 pm

First I would tell you that what Eddie is doing is his 'own' thing..in the way he is reaching over to the low drum ..that is just 'his' way of playing Tumbao...I would also recommend that you 'study' with a "Pro" player..possible with me..to help you ..I can save you years of learning time and teach you the 'right way' to play the 'conga drums...Please go to my Congazine page here and read what others have to say about me and my teachings..Thank you ...Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Gallichio » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Mario2CP,

Eddie is a great player for sure. He mixes things up very nicely and his solo is sweet. It sounds to me like he is putting a note on the (and/+) of the beat. I would play a tumbao and try putting a open tone on the tumba reaching with the left hand on the (and/+) of the beat until it sounds close. Experiment with it and you might find it or you might find a rhythm that you like better. Have fun!
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Mario2CP » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:05 am

Thank you both guys for feedback.

Johnny, I'd love to give it a try but I live in Czech Rep so I'm afraid there is no way you could teach me.

Mario
Mario2CP

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi Mario ..If u have a webcam and have a 'land line phone in ur home I can still teach u online.. I have pupils from Norway to Australia that i am currently teaching, so the Czech republic is possible...
JohnnyConga

Postby 440ranch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Czech Republic? That won't slow down Johnny Conga, Mario.
He gives lessons over the internet, on Skype!

I had lessons with him, and my playing has improved dramatically. (At least I think so)

He's a good guy, and a great instructor... Try it.
440ranch

Postby jorge » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Clave is 2/3 relative to the vocals and melody of the song. The open tone he added to the tumbao is on beat 1 (the downbeat) of the first bar of clave. It doesn't matter if you hit it with your left or right hand, it is the timing and feeling that are important not the mechanics.
jorge

Postby burke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

" It doesn't matter if you hit it with your left or right hand, it is the timing and feeling that are important not the mechanics."

I agree ... bet lots wouldn't however. :)

Might be an interesting discussion to start a separate topic on.
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't think it would be a very productive discussion, more heat than light. You either believe it or you don't. Actually it is a quote/translation/paraphrasing of Tata Guines' statement on his Aniversario CD, which I have found to be very useful in my playing and learning.
If you can't hear that Eddie Montalvo's open tone we are discussing (starting at 1:46) is on the 1 (first downbeat) of the 2 side of the clave, which hand you use to hit it doesn't matter.
jorge

Postby Derbeno » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Montalvo Tumbao.jpg

Threw it on Percussion Studio for you. Needless to say that you need to practice to play it with the right swing and feel.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby burke » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 am

"I don't think it would be a very productive discussion, more heat than light. You either believe it or you don't."

Fair point. Lets not and say we did :wink:
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 am

Derbeno please proofread and fix your transcription, it has several errors. Also please provide a key so people can more easily understand what the notation means.
jorge

Postby Derbeno » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:19 am

Jorge, tell me which notes and I will fix together with the legend
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby jorge » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Derbeno wrote:Jorge, tell me which notes and I will fix together with the legend

I don't know the program (Percussion Studio) you used to do the transcription but just reading it through you should be able to see that it is wrong in several places. To get you started, 3 errors are that a) the song, and the tumbao variation, are in 2/3 clave not 3/2 (listen to the phrasing of the singer and the bongo bell), b) the open tones on the tumba are not all Left hand and c) the rhythm as written for the tumba is wrong. Sometimes you hear rhythms better when you are dancing. There are more errors you should be able to find (eg, missing slaps, muffs etc) if you listen and analyze what you are hearing. Standard music notation would be easier for most people to decode, but I don't know how to do it in this website software either. If you want to continue using your notation at least give us a key to what is a slap, what is an open tone, what is a muff tone, what is a bass, what is the meaning of the greyed out measure, and what is a personal timing light touch? It is a 2 bar (1 clave) phrase that repeats so you really only need to write 2 bars.
jorge

Postby Roka » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:21 am

Percussion Studio is a very usefull tool for fast and easy check. I use it for years.
And it's very easy to figure out the "sound code" - just check the first bar. It's classic tumbao H-T-S-T-H-T-O-O.
All sounds are here.
Roka

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises