About Tuning - E, C, G tuning

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:44 am

I am trying to tune my congas using my Korg Keyboard just so that I get the pitch right using 440Hz. I have Poncho Sanchez congas and he recommends G (below mid C) for Tumba, Middle C for Conga and E above Mid C for Quinto. When I use my Korg which is 61 note keyboard, roughly third octave C would be midlle C. When I try tuning following these pitches, I have to tighten quinto too many threads and I am afraid that Head might tear due to over tensioning. Then I tried, other three notes, bit lower then I end up with Tumba tuning nuts too loose just bearely hugging the bottom part of threads. Any help ? should I use just tune by ears using "Here comes the bride" TM TMMMM TMMMM" method, which is automatically two notes apart? But one thing for sure these congas with NuSkyn heads are pretty easy to tune and retains tuning for long time. :(
rhythmisit

Postby KingKongas » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:12 am

I'll let some of the other more experienced people with musical backgrounds answer the technical part of your question but it seems to me that if you are on "your last thread" of your tuning lugs then something is definitely wrong.

What does everyone out there think about the need to be so precise about tuning the drums to a specific note, especially if you arent a session player in a studio vs. just being a player at home and tuning by ear??? Just curious....
KingKongas

Postby 120decibels » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:23 pm

There is definitely something wrong here......

I've never tuned the Pancho drums, but you should not be on overtensioning or undertensioning these drums to get the pitches that you quote. When you tune the drums, what drum sound are you tuning to? (slap, tone, bass)

I don't think that the intervals necessarily need to be perfect, nor do you have to tune to specific pitches. However, the drums need to sound good together and they should be tuned in the range that they are meant to be played. I don't like really dissonant intervals between my drums. For example, tuning drums to G, C, and E gives you a nice inverted C major chord. All those tones fit together. Having G, D, and E might not work as well. The most dissonant intervals I would use would be sevenths and ninths.

I hope that this is somewhat helpful.

Zach
120decibels

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:29 pm

Hi!

Apart from the fact that there have been highly effective hints for tuning in various earlier post which I read with great interest, there´s the question WHO should tell YOU which pitch you must have. I´suggest try to get the most convenient, satisfactory sound for you. In addition, I indeed try to tune my drums from time to time to play along with a tune´s basic harmonies. Recently, when jamming with piano, bass+guitar, I played the melody of "Chameleon" by Herbie Hancock (great fusion!) on six congas (had borrowed two..). Great fun! (And it was just meant as fun).

In general, when playing the infamous two-drum combination, aka of "Here comes the bride"-fourth is definitely the best interval to tune.

So tune up and drummmmmmmmmmmm...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby 120decibels » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:42 pm

Well said Mike! :D
120decibels

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:17 pm

Well, you have to tune according to number you are playing and its major 'most repeated' chord. Over the years I have established that rhythm instruments are mostly tuned around notes of 'C' chords. In my case Quinto is main drum where I play most beats with added beats from conga and Tumba providing bass paterns. That is why it is important for me to have quinto at 'C' - now all I am trying to do is find good sympathetic sounds from Tumba and Conga. I do use open tone using finger taps just inside the rim area and pressing lightly with another finger in the center of head while tuning. I begin to think there are no theories for tuning - you just tune that sounds good between all drums and with the song being played. Also it is a fact that every drum and drum heads have its inherrant tonal range and quality. You just have to find that range and respect it. When all three drums are in perfect harmony it just sounds perfect. I will keep on trying till I get the right combination. Thanks. ["Your Heart knows the beats keep on creating rhythm !!"]
rhythmisit

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises