Fat Congas still in business?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Fat Congas still in business?

Postby danno » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:29 am

Are Fat Congas still in business? I can't find them online.
danno

Re: Fat Congas still in business?

Postby onile » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 am

they actually have a promotional video with some guy who appears to have purchased the company from Rick Buscemi.......what a shame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAka_P_5H8
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby pcastag » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:03 pm

I read somewhere that they were going out of business.
PC
pcastag

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm

They are probably history. I can't find their website.
RitmoBoricua

Postby onile » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 pm

It's any wonder they lasted this long, unfortunately......

When Rick had the company, he would at least kick out a set of congas every once in a while, but then he got stuck on the idea of making cajons and so did the other mass producing conga drum companies. They all flooded the market with their products and Fat Conga's prices were probably too high for the average consumer, so he sold the company. Actually, several years ago I had spoken to Millie (Rick's significant other), and she had told me that Rick was having a rather challenging time trying to keep up with the cajon production, so much so that he didin't even commit to making any congas......but she kept telling me to keep hoping, maybe one day.....! Yeah, we all see where that went.

This new person on Youtube seemed like a fish out of water with the drums/cajons....but that's just my perception of him, and he appeared to own the company! It's a shame, someone will hopefully buy the company away from them who knows how to invest time into making a quality drum like what Rick had done before. I wish Rick well and hopefully, the stress in his life has melted away.
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby dende » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:09 pm

called the number, its out of service.
dende

Postby docarroyo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 am

Hello to all I have a very special Fat Conga it was a sales model it is made of different woods to shoe options on special orders. I recieved it as a basket case and Matt Smith reassembled it and put bands on it giving it a unique look. So its double rare and unique I know of no other sales model to exist. I would consider parting with it for a Matt Smith or SOS 12 or bigger. It has original hardware, alma by M Smith, and even original skin. These do not come around ever so if interested hit up quick before I change my mind. PM me for specific details ect.....
Attachments
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
docarroyo

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Omelenko do u remember the 'original' maker of those Fat Congas from the 70's? I ask because I knew him back in the late 70's, but it's been so long I cant remember his name.. He used to live in Santa Cruz California, if my memory serves me right. He also played congas, and made his FCongas out of his garage along with cajons claves, maracas.I visited him on occasion to hang.....I imagine after these posts mentioned here that he sold the name and rights to Rick Buscemi the drummer/collector...I often wondered what had happened to him ....my problem with his drums were that I couldnt put my legs around the drum to hold to my body..and the sound didnt knock me out either...thought they were/are beautiful drums...
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 am

Oye JC, Rick Buscemi was the original owner from back in the day. Miguel Cruz was his first endorser. Miguel complained he didn't like the sound of the drums, so did Poncho Sanchez, they claimed the sound didn't project. I had a conversation with Buscemi in the late 70's and he sent me photos of the congas up in the mountains. That's the only conga I have never own, but the opinion of Miguel and Poncho has deminished my desire.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Seneferu » Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 pm

You missed out on a great conga. I have always owned Fat Congas. First an oak then a maple. My drums always project very well. No disrespect to Poncho, but with his fingers taped up all the time, it's a wonder he can project on anything.
Seneferu

Postby Seneferu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 am

Fat Congas are back in business. They are owned by Swan Percussion, who makes great and innovative cajones in their own right. Right now, they are manufacturing the Fat Congas Bajo cajon. I should have a few of those available through my website: www.besmusicgroup.com. Peace :D
Seneferu

Return to CongaSet and accessories