Quick Review of Evans Conga Heads

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Quick Review of Evans Conga Heads

Postby drbongo42 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:12 pm

I have now received the Evans head and had a chance to try them out for a few hours. First thing to note is that although the 11.75" and 12.5" heads fitted the travel congas perfectly, the 11" was just about the same diameter as the inner edge of the rim which meant it tended to slip inside on one side as you tensioned the rods. I fixed this by cutting a ring from an old 12" tom head, split it with a hacksaw, taped in a bit of rubber in the gap so it fitted inside the rim perfectly then this pressed down on the Evans rim and kept it straight as I tuned it. I was pleasantly surprised by the tone. In some of the videos I had seen they didn't sound great and some had broken at high tension. They are a lot softer and thinner that rawhide or the Remo heads. They are made of two thin layers of mylar with a central dampening disk between them. They produce a nice warm tone when tuned up, without too much ring - the only downside is that because they are softer and thinner they do not produce as much skin attack - so the heel/toe and slaps are not as crisp or loud as they are on rawhide or Remo heads. So I probably wouldn't use one on my quinto live, but they would sound ok on other drums used to play open tones or bass notes. I suspect some people with like them because they do produce a nice smooth tone/sound without too much attack - possibly good in a recording studio, acoustic gig or for practising at home when you don't want to disturb the neighbours. They were also very easy to tune and didn't seem to stretch after the initial tensioning. Given they are half the price of Remo heads I would definitely think about buying them for recording and playing at home - not sure I would try them live as I suspect the lack of attack would make it difficult to be heard.

Evans.jpg
drbongo42

Return to CongaSet and accessories