Meinl Percussion - Meinl Headliner Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Drummer1 » Thu Jun 14, 2001 8:15 pm

is these congas anygood i have heard some good things about them.???
Drummer1

Postby CongaMan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:14 pm

Hi Drummer1,
I have a set of wood Meinl Congas and apart from the fact that they are very heavy to carry I think they are very good... I don't remember exactly which model they are (I bought them more than 10 years ago).. but if I can be of any further help for you don't hesitate to post other questions!
Bye :)
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Drummer1 » Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:46 pm

are headliners better than the players series they look like they are better to me.
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 19, 2001 7:40 pm

Look out!
The congas you call "Headliner" are not from Meinl, as far as I know. I browsed in various German pages concerning Meinl but didn´d find such a model there.

But I HAVE tested a pair of congas called headliners, and I must say, they are OK for beginners, but these 28" small-sized ones couldn´t really convince me, the skins much too thin, no high tension possible.. Admittedly, they are not too expensive, the hardware material is quite good, but still.... who would want to change Meinl, LP good Afro congas etc. for them?
Beware of the price trap!
Please don´t, no ---arrgh!
Mike

Postby Drummer1 » Wed Jun 20, 2001 3:37 am

I think i will gone get me a good set of top of the line congas.
Drummer1

Postby martin » Wed Jun 20, 2001 6:34 am

I have a pair of Meinl Congas of the Marathon Series.
I Think they are quit old, bought them on a market, but for practising they are quit good. But they are indeed quit heavy to cary and to small for me.
I am planning to get me some LP congas

Bye!
martin

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 20, 2001 12:27 pm

Well, LP wooden congas are heavy, too!
By the way, Meinl also has a range of real quality congas.
Although i own LP congas, i have been wondering if they are not a bit too expensive (At least if you don´t live in the U.S.), because many other brand sound good, too. Different, of course, but BAUER congas are very, very good as well, sound AND weight...
But for those who don´t want to "schlepp" too much,
fiberglass is the solution anyway.
Mike

Postby martin » Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:11 am

Mike,

What do you mean by the pricedifference off the congas.
Are they more expensive in Europe than in the States?
Is this also the case for bongos? Is it possible to bye and order thiss stuff straight from the US for less than the price in holland? (where i live).

See you!
martin

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:14 pm

Hi Martin,
the price level is different in the U.S and here in Europe because the Us$ Dollar price rate has been high for quite a long time - and it is still rising . Just browse http://www.lpmusic.com to compare the difference. A Matador 11 3/4 Conga is not expensive there, but I paid 600 DM (German bucks) for it.
Ordering drums from the U.S would probably not cost less, for the postal fees might be pretty high.
Still, perhaps it is different in Holland?
Besides, LP produces Congas in Thailand, re-imports them to the States which does´nt make them cheaper.
I´m afraid the same applies to bongos, too, yes.
Mike

Return to CongaSet and accessories