skins, heads again - any advice for mounting sewn-in heads?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 09, 2001 5:52 pm

As i plan to improve the sound of one of my "cheap" CONGAS BY MOUNTING A NEW SKIN; does anybody if sewn-in skins make much of a difference compared to "normal" skins?
Any differences, any experiences of you guys in the milky way of tumbadoras ?
Mike

Postby Drummer1 » Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:18 pm

what ya mean????
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:04 am

Sorry, I left out some words in my post. It was about the skins that are not tucked around the hoop, but those which have to be sewn in. This is to be found at the cheap congas, e.g. the 28" old Cosmic Percussion (LP).
I meant, how to deal with these skins when MOUNTING them on the conga. Just wanted some advice, how to handle the skin, which kind of thread to use etc.
I guess the basic thing is just the same as with "normal" heads, soaking them in cold water etc.

Got it, Drummerboy/Sir?
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:45 am

Wow! I just have tried and mounted the head the way I thought, and the sound has improved by 150%! GREAT!
I can only recommend putting on better heads on congas which are not too bad. It´s worth doing.
Mike

Postby Drummer1 » Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:59 pm

Good heads does make a drum sound better.
Drummer1

Return to CongaSet and accessories