'Anga' Diaz drum setup - 'Cachaito ' comes to Yoshi's

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Pancho » Sat Sep 22, 2001 9:34 pm

Cachaito Lopez and the band are playing in Oakland, CA at Yoshi's, a fantastic jazz club here, and I thought I'd share the experience...Fantastic! 'Anga', a young cat at 26, plays 6 drums, exquisitely tuned, is very fast at times, but tasteful always. Much more important than speed. I believe he played a Toca quinto, plus he had another quinto on his far right, which I think was fiberglass, plus 2 LP classics, and 2 Giovanni's. The Giovanni's were a conga and a tumba, and were in the front and on the right, and the classic's were on his left, same distribution.
I've seen alot of shows at Yoshi's, and this was one of the best. If you have a chance; GO!
Cheers,
Pancho
Pancho

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:50 pm

Wow! Six congas!
I saw him with four with the Afro-Cuban All Stars, and that already knocked me sideways... An incredible player!

Apparently Angá loves Toca and LP. I haven´t tried many Toca congas yet, but for the LP ones I can only say: I understand him. The LP Classic series is till one of the best
Mike

Postby Mbalax » Fri Sep 28, 2001 4:59 pm

I saw Angaa too in the Vitoria´s jazz festival, and he played six congas, two Amber Tocas an four LP, three classics and a Giovanni. something curious is that he play like rigth handed but the set is placed like a left handed and he uses one of the toca like a requinto to do rhythyms like the bata.
I like how it plays so much and i think that he is one of the best in the world ( close to Giovanni :-)

Conga
LP
Tumba quinto
LP LP
Tumba quinto requinto
LPgio Toca Toca
ANGA
(playing like rigth handed)
Mbalax

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:35 pm

Yeah, Angá is really a human octopus..
And surely one of the greatest living congueros!
Mike

Return to CongaSet and accessories