healthy skin

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby pitoo » Fri Jul 06, 2001 2:05 pm

is there any products i can applicate on my conga's skin to protect it ? and on wood ?
i know i must tune it down and use lugluricant, is that all i can do ??
thanks
pitoo

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:20 pm

Well, on hot days like these (Western Europe has a pretty nice summer start), I pour a bit of sunflower oil on the skins, rub it in, let it dry for about 2 days, and then it´s smooth again to play them beauties..
As far as the wood is concerned, let it ´rest in peace´ if it has not been marred, scratched. If so, you may mend it with clear varnish. But normally, the surface does´t need anything - except in the rare case of woodworms..;-)
Mike

Postby handsoffire » Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:37 pm

Hello fellow drummer, for the skin I was told by a old cuban man and by my teacher John Amira that yes when skin is loose apply a small amount a fingers tip of MANTECA de COROJO (PALM OIL) work into the skin and let the skin warm up under the sun. This product can be found in the spanish community at a Botanica it's a store where religious articles are sold.

Now as for the wood drums some of the new models comes with a protective coating (polyurethane) contact LATIN PERCUSSION (LP) in New Jersey they make a very good polish in a spray bottle, this is a very hard product to find in the stores that why you should contact LP.
GOOD LUCK
HANDSOFFIRE
handsoffire

Postby pitoo » Sun Jul 08, 2001 10:16 am

thanks a lot everybody i thought oil could be dangerous for the skin, how often do i have to do it ? (once a year?)

since i'm from the bord of mediterranean i will maybe try some olive oil !!!
bye
pitoo

Postby handsoffire » Sun Jul 08, 2001 3:42 pm

Hi again glad you like the information, as to the palm oil I apply it once a year in the summer.

peace

HANDSOFFIRE
handsoffire

Postby Yukon conga » Sun Jul 08, 2001 11:49 pm

Hi guys
The climate where I live is quite dry, so there is no doubt about whether or not to lubricate the drum head. I use a product called Lansinoh which is found in the drugstore. It is very expensive (ฤ Canadian for 2 oz. [56 grams]), but it is pure lanolin. Lanolin is the naturally occuring skin lubricant when your drum head was still attached to the live animal.

A little of this stuff goes a long, long way. What I do is put an amount about the size of a pea into my hand and rub my hands together, then rub it onto the head until it is a fairly uniform coating, adding more as necessary. The head will feel greasy for a couple of days, and your hands will feel soft like a woman's.

I make sure the coating goes all the way to the rim and down over the rim a bit, too. A big added bonus to lubricating the head is the improved sound of your slaps. In fact, I sometimes use a bit of skin lotion on my hands before playing to get a better feel of the drums.

Keep on drummin'
Ross
Yukon conga

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:08 am

Once a year is definitely enough, even if you live in arid areas, ´cause otherwise you - no, the conga´s - skin will get too greasy.

Once I used a cosmetic Lanolin, and it was good indeed. Expensive though.
Mike

Postby benbaboon » Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:20 am

gotta second the manteca de corojo... good stuff.... however, it isn't palm oil... it's brazil nut oil.
benbaboon

Return to CongaSet and accessories