Toca Traditional congas - Often ignored and underrated

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Drumaholic » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:53 pm

For those of you doing some conga shopping, check out the Toca Traditional line. They are full-sized congas but much less expensive than the Toca Premeire or Custom deluxe, kind of like how Matadors are to LP Classic. I bought a conga/tumba set for 蹢. They are a natural satin finish with brushed chrome hardware and old style rim (not the comfy kozy hoop rims which are common today). But the heads are pulled way down about 2" so you never touch the rim. Also, the shape of the shell is a little different-- a wide belly and strong taper at the bottom. Toca claims this design gives more bass tones. I can't really tell, but it looks cool (esp. the tumba has that 'big mama' look). More importantly--they sound awesome! Good heads, good drums, and less $ than Matador. (No I don't work for Toca!)
Drumaholic

Postby Drummer1 » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:33 am

I dont like them Meinl congas is the best nothing beats meinl!!!!!!!!!!!
Drummer1

Postby Drumaholic » Sun Jun 24, 2001 4:50 am

Man, just from that in-depth review I am now convinced that, yes, nothing beats Meinl. I wish you told me that before I bought the Tocas.
Drumaholic

Postby Drummer1 » Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:55 am

LOL
Drummer1

Postby mikep » Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:38 pm

hello all,
I'm looking for a new set as well. What is the price range for Meinls and where can I get them?
Peace, mikep
mikep

Postby paulo da salvia » Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:39 am

Hey men
you're talking about Toca and Meinl............. and you're saying that nothin' beats Meinl.
Have you ever tried Lp galaxy Giovanni hidalgo series?
Mikep, make sure you hear the sound of Lp galaxy before purchasing Meinl!!
I think the newest edition of Meinl is ONE of the best, not THE best. Make a comparison and then you can choose the drum you prefer.
stay cool men!!!
paulo
paulo da salvia

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:11 pm

Dear congalogists,
could it be that there is a certain fetishism about conga brands? Admittedly I would LOVE to own these wonderful Giovanni congas, but they are simply too expensive, and: the range of different congas is really great on the international market, sometimes I come across congas from small drummaking companies that are not in the least worse than the ´big ones´(LP, Meinl Tocatacatico & stuff).

In other words: what do you need an expensive, status symbol car like Rolls or Mercedes for - if you have a pir of nice congas at home.. ;-)
Mike

Postby mikep » Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:54 pm

Conga Brothers.....
I started out w/Toca players series and about a year later, I feel I'm ready to purchase a set where I can take my progression as a conguero even further, even if it does cost me a few more bucks. I've been hearing names like Meinl, Matador, Toca Limited Edition, LP Giovanni's....I haven't been sold on a particular set, at least not yet! I appreciate suggestions because I listen to them at heart....peace bros, mikep
mikep

Postby paulo da salvia » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:43 pm

Hey Mike
i'm sorry but i don't agree with you. It's true: maybe sometimes we give the impression we care too much about brands. But for me it's not a problem of status symbol like Mercedes and so on, it's a problem of sound. I don't love my LP because they are Lp but just because they have a far better sound (in my opinion, of course) than the other congas I could purchase.
On the other side, sometimes a less expensive conga like Toca has a better sound than the most expensive. What i mean is that the price is not aways correlated with the value of a drum, so you have to take care before you spend your money, but normally Lp and Meinl means good quality drums.
Do you agree man?

Peace&..........LP!
Paulo
paulo da salvia

Postby Drummer1 » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:13 pm

I just think meinl have better congas than LP and Toca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but all three brands make good stuff.
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 30, 2001 7:36 am

Paulo,
you have a point there! I just meant what you say yourself: good drums ain´t necessarily expensive... In the end, the sound is the most important thing - Well: I play LP myself because I LOVE THEIR SOUND!
Yesterday, I had a concert together with my pupils, various drums on the stage, and of course Lp classic beats Meinl Marathon in sound (no doubt about that, I hope!), but the smaller pupils get along with the Marathons better, they have difficulties to produce good open tones on a highpitched LP Quinto . In other words, you must have the congas which suit you age/stage of development etc.
I am still a bit sceptical if you can choose THE best conga of the world at all..? Think of the very past : I guess master drummers made their own drums!?!
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:12 am

Hello to all,
Do you know what the Cuban says? The sound, it is 70 % the hands and 30%Skin. The sound, it is you who make it, not the instrument. It is necessary to find the instrument which corresponds to the hands.
Bye
Laurent Lamy

Postby congamyk » Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:56 pm

The best new congas you can purchase is LP Matador for the money. They are full size, fat sound and excellent hardware (comfort rim). Then, replace the heads with Evans Synthetic for quinto (incredible slap!) and replace the conga and tumba heads with Remo NuSkin heads. You will have the best all around set possible for the least amount of money. These skins rarely need tuning since they are synthetic and always ready to play.

As for stands, (I play standing when I am playing sax on a gig) get the LP Super Conga stands, they are expensive but so easy to set up and take down, they are great but very expensive.

For timbales I suggest LP Matador mini-timbales (13" & 14') HUGE sound yet very nice for a regular room and other latin jazz instruments.

As far as players go, anything by Johnny Blas, Bobby Matos, Hilton Ruiz and Poncho Sanchez will get the ideas and solos flowing.

Peace to all Congueros...DESCARGA!!!!!!
congamyk

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:05 am

Hi Congamyk,
why did you choose different synthetic skins for quinto and conga/tumba, respectively?
Mike

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:16 pm

Has any one checked out the NEW Pearl Elite model congas,as an endorsor,I have to admit these are the finest sounding congas you can find today. Modeled after cuban drums from the turn of the century and acoustically designed. Great new line!
Johnny Conga

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories