Oil on tuning lugs -how + how often? - Maintenance of the tuning parts

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 19, 2001 2:40 pm

Just a few practical questions on the tuning part business:

Do you remove the tuning lugs when oiling/greasing them? Or just let drops of oil ´drop on the lug?

Any preferences for special oil companies ;-)?

And: The high priests of conga drumming always tell you to oil the lugs regularly, but how often do honorable Congaplace members do this?

Last: Of course it´s useful, cause it makes tuning esp. of high-pitch quinto easier -I´m just curious about the ideas of you guys (and gals?) out there.
Mike

Postby paulo da salvia » Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:46 pm

I never remove tuning lugs when oiling, just put some drops, untune completely the drum and then tune again.
I don't know if it's the best way, but i do like this (please consider i'm a little bit lazy, man).
No special brand for the oil, normally i use the finest italian olive oil (the same i use for dressing.........salad!) because it's the purest and contains no addictions.
How often? When i feel tuning my drums in getting harder (maybe the average could be once every two months).
This is my way, but i'm not sure it's an example to follow.........!!!!!
stay tuned!!
paulo
paulo da salvia

Postby CongaMan » Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:51 pm

I agree with Paulo... treat your hardaware as any other thing that has to be lubrificated (or lubricated)... there's no rule on how often you have to do it ... when tuning gets harder put some oil or grease
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:45 am

Silicone-based lubricants, either oils or greases, would be ideal since they tend not to evaporate or dry out. Vegetable-based lubricants, such as olive oil, will lubricate well enough, but they gum up, dry out, and may even generate molds or other microflora--they're food products, not machinery products, you know.

You should be able to feel whether or not the nuts are moving in a nice, satisfying, lubricious manner, or whether abrasive, binding, metal-on-metal action is occuring. You'll see black film on the threads no matter what--it's going to happen.

Exotic, expensive lubricants aren't needed--we're not talking a gas turbine engine here. Lubriplate is a wonderful grease, petrolatum will work just fine, WD-40 spray will work (this is not a great place to use thin oils though), and so will just about anything else. If you used nothing at all, I doubt the drawbolts & nuts would wear out in your lifetime--but of course it's possible.

I wouldn't use a vegetable-based lubricant--they aren't even close to synthetics in terms of lubrication and lifetime, but who cares? There's certainly no harm. I suppose there's some advantage to one oil that can work for the drums, the hair, the salad, and for "personal" applications as well :)

Once a month, maximum, I'd think, unless you have no life at all. One drop, dropped down onto the threads at the top of the nut, just prior to tuning up, if you're using an oil. To me this is NOT a place to use oil--it makes no sense. Oil is for continuously moving parts. A tiny bit of petroleum jelly on the threads each time the heads are replaced would make the most sense to me. Another good reason to use synthetic heads.

Edited By Bongo Boy on Feb. 07 2002 at 03:53
Bongo Boy

Return to CongaSet and accessories