Meinl Congas agian - I am going to get the Marathon Exclusive or the Marathon

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Drummer1 » Fri Jun 22, 2001 3:12 am

I am going with the Meinl Congas but got to make up my mind what i wont to get.
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:00 am

Well, why not Meinl? The Marathon exclusive series is fine, with SSR-Rims and a steely basket stand included (mostly). And the sound is quite OK.
Mike

Postby Drummer1 » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:30 am

I am going to get the Marathon Series congas bacause they come in sets dont know what color but they looks cool.
Drummer1

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:14 pm

URGENT CALL FOR ALL PROSPECTIVE MEINL CONGA PURCHASERS!

A new series has emerged which seems to be pretty cool in sound, quality AND PRICE!
Namely "Meinl Professional Series Congas"

At the moment, they come with terrific Meinl TMC stands, the best single stand available (so I think).
But the main thing are the drums, fine hardware everything nice and a professional sound indeed.

Check ´em out, lads!
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:49 pm

I should add that the new Pofessional series by Meinl is NOT cheap ,price approximately between Matador and LP classic brand, but nevertheless, if I was to buy new Congas, they would be it! The thing with the stands..: You all read earlier posts on the principal question if stands are needed, but the TMC is stable and adjustable and would cost alone as much as cheap Headliner congas - and is now included for free!

Think about it..
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:01 pm

Hello every ´body,
i really don´t want to get on anybody´s nerves, but although an LP conga owner myself ,and that´ll be that for a few yeras: the doug is low...:-( ,
I´ve just bought one of Meinl´s NEW Issues for teaching (at local high school percussion group, ya know), namely the latest MEINL MARATHON "Classic" edition.
MY Comment: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really, the perfect balnce for beginners and aspiring pros alike!
Well, if I compare them to the the first Meinl Marathon congas I bought for another school 5 years ago - forget it ! The new ones are by no means comparable to that crap.....
First, the skin is really good, the construction better, a stand that is worth its name ("Steely II"), and, above all, the sound, wow, can equal many drums, full, good attack.

So, those of you still not knowing what to choose if you are just about to buy a firly good set at a reasonable price: TAKE THESE! Well, unfortunately, apart from Europe, the price could be high, well, but in Germany I paid 180 € for a quinto. Compare that to almost 300 € for a Matador quinto and U know what I´m talking about.
Well, now I´,m ending my laudatio, looking forward to my next percussion group on the meinls... ;-)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Bongo Boy » Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:22 pm

Anyone know of a dealer in the United States that sells the Meinl Professional series? I have searched the web but come up with nothing. Even a web site showing a closeup of the hardware would be nice.
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:11 am

mike, where did you buy the congas from, where in germany?
timo

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:17 pm

Hi Timo!
Well, I bought the conga at a good shop in Cologne called "Drumcenter Köln". They also have a website which is
http://www.drumcenterkoeln.de

Other German stores that also might send abroad are http://www.musik-produktiv.de

The drumskin on the Marathons is True Skin Büffelfell (i.e. buffalo), really good sound.

And, Drummer 1you can see a picture of the congas on the meinl-site under http://www.meinl.de/percussions/perc_2_9.html
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:21 pm

...and, oops, hey, you American drummers, there´s a Marathon set on ebay (first bid 450$ US)
Might be something under http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1517913244

Good luck
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:35 pm

Sorry Timo I typed the wrong URL for the Drumcenter in Cologne - my God, it´s Friday,-)

The correct one is http://www.drumcenter.de
If you ever visit this nice town: the shop is really good.

Now, that´s it for the Meinl business,
heve a nice weekend everybody
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby timo » Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:50 pm

MIke,your from koln? i know lots of people from bensberg, its a nice city, good beer. ;)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:39 pm

Hi Timo,
no, I´m not from Köln, but only 1 hour west of it, immediately at the Dutch border.
I Donßt know the beer from Bensberg/Bergisches Land, but to me the beer fro Cologne is awful %-)

Sorry, the others, admittedly we are leaving congaplace topics a bit...

Well, no: One guy once advised me if you are to lazy to tune down a high pitched drum , you should rub some beer on the drumskin... Well, he came from Ireland... What may be good for bodhráns, ain´t necessarily provide good skins for tumbadores.. Better take rum? ;)

Cheers everybody...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby mojaverthem » Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:59 pm

Hi all,

This discussion on Meinls interested me. As I plan to upgrade from "Aspire Supremes" early this summer, I did a little research. What I found was this:

Meinl USA Corp. office is in Miami Florida
Ph. 1-877-88-meinl
Customer service rep: Juan Berious

They have distribution both east and west of the Rockies.
Don't know the eastern distributor, but Juan will have an answer for you. He will also send out a catalog to you for free!
The western distributor is:

Chesvro Music
(208) 522-8691

Call Lynn, He will give you the name of the sales rep. closest to you. What I found when I contacted my area rep. was that He is VERY active in attempting to establish dealers here in southern Calif. In fact He gave me two local shop names to contact! Also, He even went as far as contacting one of them to tell them that I would be visiting them. He said they would be glad to order for me!
They seem to have very efficient communications from main company to customer.
Also in closing, He told me they have 4 lines of Congas.
Contact them, I'm sure they will do their best to get you hooked up with the drums that will fit your skills, budget and needs.

mojaverythem
mojaverthem

Return to CongaSet and accessories