del cielo congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby mikey » Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:45 pm

hi guys! has anyone used the del cielo range of congas at all, ime thinking of buying some, they look great (if you like natural wood that is) but has anyone heard or played them ? any thoughts would be great. thanks.
mikey

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:59 am

:D DELCIELO CONGAS ARE BEAUTIFUL....HAVENT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY THEM BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE A NICE TONE WITH THAT BIG BELLY THEY HAVE....NICE WALNUT WOOD TOO....TALKED TO OWNER AND HE IS TRYING TO GET A REP DOWN IN MIAMI TO SHOWCASE THEM....IF HE GETS BACK TO ME ILL POST IT............GOOD LUCK
REQUINTOFUNK77@HOTMAIL.COM

"SI NO SABES,NO TE METAS,
SI NO HAY CLAVE,RESPETA"
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:17 am

Manufacturer's claims are always interesting and sometimes even amusing. According to the web site, these drums "project better" because the shell is made from a single piece of wood, and also for that reason are less likely to crack due to impact. While the first claim may be true, I can't imagine an experienced wood craftsman making the second claim--I've seldom seen a glued joint that wasn't stronger than the adjacent wood.

If they do indeed project better I wonder if it could be because of the shape of the shell itself, or because the inside surface of the shell is smoothly curved (as opposed to at least some staved drums which are not).

I like the way they do the rims--again, this design should be quite a bit stiffer than the traditional rim, even for the same weight of materials. But don't the tuning lugs look small and difficult to access with a wrench?

Living as I do in an extremely arid location, I would not trust this shell design to survive two or three winters without cracking--that's what would worry me the most. While maple does well here, other hardwoods such as oak and cherry in large pieces don't. Veneers and laminates have a far higher survival rate. Just my $0.02 USD worth, if that.

Edited By Bongo Boy on Mar. 05 2002 at 23:22
Bongo Boy

Return to CongaSet and accessories