drum artisans in Europe - know any?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: drum artisans in Europe - know any?

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm

They don't exist anymore? I have ol meinl woodcraft made from german oak and I love this wood.

Victorius: Companies like Meinl have used this type of wood, or perhaps the still do; just the independent manufactory for the brand "OAK Congas" doesn't exist anymore.

Schalloch used German oak, too, if only for a short period.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 am

As promised, here is a photo of my Schalloch conga set from 1986. The bodies were made in the Black Forest, the assembly took place in Hamburg. These were custom-made prototypes from maple, Sonor crowns and PJ sideplates. The hides on the two smaller drums are Cuban, the ones on the big drums German. I think they are cow hides.

When I got those drums, they had rubber rings under the bottom edge. I removed them because it didn't look good.

Thomas

Thomas Altmann

Postby Tonio » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Nice Thomas!!

How are they sounding?

T
Tonio

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Tonio,

of course it's kind of hard to describe sound (and what it carries along) in words. I am not speaking for Schalloch products in general, but these congas are the best for me. When I had the money to buy a new conga set (from a half year contract as a drummer in a Country & Western bar on the Reeperbahn), I wasn't quite sure whether to order a set of Skin-On-Skin's or a Cuban Sonoc set. I always loved the Cuban congas that I had checked at various occasions; but the drums they exported were just falling apart. The SOS congas were superbly constructed and had an alma inside, but they sounded a bit too mellow to me, singing, much like a Gretsch drum set. I wanted a drier, funkier sound. The Schalloch shop offered their own congas with Sonor hardware, which looked too bulky for my taste. But I had to admit to myself that sound-wise they represented exactly what felt right to me. So after several weeks of contemplation I ended up ordering a set of this absolute newcomer. I was going strictly by my ears. In my 23 years of playing this set in diverse situations, they never let me down. Without hurting my hands excessively, I'm keeping up with any drum set, and I have played unamplified in a big band with people assuring me that they heard me clearly.

The only reason why I recently bought an additional Gon Bops set was because I wanted to have a light-weight set for lower volume in folklore settings. I don't like the sound of a highly resonant, loud drum being played softly all the way. It sounds castrated.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Tonio » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 am

Hi Thomas,
Well that description is fine enough for me to understand where you are coming from! I take it as possible a EU- LP classic if you will. And I don't mean in a derogatory way for either LP or Schalloch .
I think the difference you describe is the traditional vs modern sound. Sonoc, SOS on the traditional side and Schalloch, LP on the modern side. We always want the traditional side, but sometimes its not enough-or not proper for the gig at hand.

Agreed about the castrated playability on resonate congas. At least you now have the best of both sides with the addition of the Gon Bops !! Well equipped for whatever may come your way.

I must say the Schallochs' appear to be nicely built, the stave size is impressive.

T
Tonio

Postby Mario2CP » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 pm

also polish brand: www.pablomusic.pl

Cheers
M
Mario2CP

Postby congalou » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Here is BAKK congas, old french brand. The guy stop the production.

To my mind, wonderfull drums, the wood is acajou (mahogany), the hardware is powder coated. The wood working is amazing.

G.
Attachments
DSC04926.JPG
DSC04927.JPG
DSC04928.JPG
congalou

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 pm

congalou wrote:Here is BAKK congas, old french brand. The guy stop the production.

To my mind, wonderfull drums, the wood is acajou (mahogany), the hardware is powder coated. The wood working is amazing.

G.

Wow, beautiful tubs! They look very well made.
NOTHING like a good set of hand made congas. What a shame that that they are not being made anymore.

congalou do you know the owner of these BAKK'S?
KING CONGA

Postby congalou » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 am

Yes, I will reskin them for him.
congalou

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:24 am

Hey congalou,
those mahogany congas do look a bit like my German-made African mahogany REICHE conga,
and this French brand BAKK seems to have been very good too!
I have to admit that I never heard of them, was it a big manufacturer, where was he located?
Please tell us a bit more, for it´s interesting these days to know about something off the beaten track,
especially in Europe.
I knew about the old ASBA and Delaporte, of course.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby congalou » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Yes, the wood looks exactly the same.

He was a little manufacturer posted in Paris, Now, he made only top of the line furnitures.

He made congas during aroud year 1980 to 2000, I think.
congalou

Postby Attilio » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Drumming is the universal language. :O Let's start playing!
Attilio

Postby s'chopp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Some of those drums at twice percussion look great- especially their combination of rope and hardware.

I was looking for a sound clip of reiche drums in action (other than the one on their site) and found this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMpvnqk ... r_embedded

Reiche drums- http://www.reiche-trommelbau.de/
s'chopp

Postby korman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

Good to finally see Reiche congas in action! The clip could benefit from better microphone placement, though. The tones stand out more than slaps and heel-tips.
korman

Postby CongaTick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 pm

"Marcito" is awesome. Love his groove and what he's doing.
CongaTick

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories