Gon Bops & numbers

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby burke » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:35 pm

H all,

I bought a set (Quinto & Conga) of "Mariano" series GB's. There is a number on the plate. The number on the quinto is:
IC 3300 & ICL 3300 on the conga.

My question is, does anyone know what the signifigance of the numbers is? I'm kind a hoping they are some kind of stock number that will help me find out what vintage they may be.

Cheers

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby taikonoatama » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:14 am

Keep in mind that congas sizes as a whole used to be smaller than they are these days. What you've got, really, are two congas. Here's the (original) Gon Bops size breakdown to the best of my knowledge:

"IQ" series: Quinto: 9.75"
"IC" series: Conga: 10.75"
"ICL" series: Conga (Large): 11"
"IT" series Tumba: 11.5"
"ITL" series: Tumba (Large): 12.25"
"ITXL" series: Tumba (Extra Large): 13.25"
"IT2XL" series: Tumba (Extra Extra Large): 14.25"

As far as the vintage, I don't believe your numbers alone will narrow it down as much as you'd like, as they made the Mariano (with the same model numbers) for a number of years, from, I believe, the mid 80's to mid 90's. Someone else here will no doubt have better knowledge of this last point - they could have started a bit earlier.

Also, a note on the how the size is measured, as there is some variation from maker to maker. Technically, these sizes are for the outside diameter of the shell across the top, before the bearing edge is done and the skin put on.

Edited By taikonoatama on 1171252464
taikonoatama

Postby burke » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Thanks very much taikonoatama!

Even if this is all I learn from my post - that's great info!
Burke
burke

Return to CongaSet and accessories