ISLA PERCUSSION - Discussion, Quality, Experience, etc

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: ISLA PERCUSSION - Discussion, Quality, Experience, etc

Postby bengon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Ugh. Sooo weak. I understand problems and all, but his lack of communication is really troubling.
bengon

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:37 am

Mr. Conga I went to the Kansas City Art Institute and received a 4 yr . Education in Enviromental , Graphic and Industrial Design, with specialization in Furniture design and making. I am also a Fine Artist concentrated in oil painting . And a professional percussionist. I have designed and constructed some of my own instruments. So I feel I have enough knowledge in design, tools and construction processes to give a solid opinon in design and aesthetics.
Peace
OLsongo
Last edited by OLSONGO on Tue May 01, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLSONGO

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 am

OLSONGO wrote:Mr. Conga I went to the Kansas City Art Institute and received a 4 yr . Education in Enviromental , Graphic and Industrial Design, with specialization in Furniture design and making. I am also a Fine Artist concentrated in oil painting . And a professional percussionist. I have designed and constrcted some of my own instruments. So I feel I have enough knowledge in design, tools and contruction processes to give a solid opinon in design and aesthetics.
Peace
OLsongo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said Olsongo! That's too funny, you certianly have my vote as someone who's opinion matters!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:05 am

Hey Isla will always have their fanboys because they buy into all that "hey papa" "its in your blood papa" stuff but poor workmanship and on top of that crap communication? You have a customer waiting since January for hardware? oh wait the die on his machine broke again and you can only get it from Germany but the guy who orders it is in PR for a family emergency etc etc please! Its simple provide a truely great product and give good customer service and you are Golden its tht simple
vinnieL

Postby bengon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I'd like to mention that Mario has gotten in contact with me, and has assured me that he is working on delivering the hardware. I haven't gotten them yet, but we've been in contact.
bengon

Postby BMac » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 am

An Isla has fallen into my hands.
It's a conga (segundo).
It has all the eccentricities discussed in this long thread.
Fat glue lines ... check.
Loose bands ... check.
Round? ... forget about it.
Pith voids in the wood packed with filler ... check.
I've read this thread since the beginning.
I don't think I've posted on this thread before.
I didn't have a horse in this race before.
But now an Isla conga specifically discussed and shown in pictures in previous posts in this thread has passed from the original buyer to me.
I'm posting now to give credit where credit is due.
I've generally raved about Mopercs in this forum, and I stand by everything I've ever written about Mopercs ... love 'em ... can't say enough about 'em
An Isla is not a Moperc.
They're very very very different instruments.
So here it is.

My Isla is an unbelievably beautiful sounding drum.
Isla congas belong on the list of the finest sounding congas in the world ... wherever that list is and whoever is keeping it.
This Isla is a visually and acoustically stunning musical instrument.
Ringing ... forget about ... I mean it ... no ringing ... none ... zippo ... just beautiful tone.
It's far louder than I expected ... when I want loud.
It's subtle and soft and warm ... when I want all that.
The slaps, without ringing, are phenomenal.
They're sharp and cutting, and yet elegant in a unique way unlike any other conga I've played.

I know ... some people have had their experiences with Isla ... I'm not discounting their concerns ... I've read this whole thread.

I'm writing to give credit where credit is due.

It is what it is.

BMac
BMac

Postby Thebreeze » Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 am

BMac...Good post there. Some time ago I went to a friend's house (Conguero) and he had a full set of Islas. We eached grabbed a drum and played and the drum I had ( Quinto ) sounded incredible. He also had a full set of Volcanos and I played those...I liked the Islas better. But if you want to spend thousands of dollars for just one drum that is museum quality in materials and workmanship, by all means buy a Volcano. There is a guy up in Washington selling a set for only $10,000 dollars. By the way, if you get that set, leave them in the house for a conversation piece so that you don't dare take a chance to get a scratch on them.
Thebreeze

Postby s'chopp » Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 pm

This complete 'lack of ring', is that down to the wood used? It does not look is if it's because of the 'quality construction'.
s'chopp

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 pm

s'chopp wrote:This complete 'lack of ring', is that down to the wood used? It does not look is if it's because of the 'quality construction'.

I have sets of isla, giovani galaxy, moperc and SOS congas and have played many others. I think it's a combination of shell design and wood choice. Moperc's use ash (and maple on older drums), which is very dense and the same wood LP claims to make their giovani galaxy drums out of. both of these drums have issues with overtones, but both have better projection for use in stage settings than the isla drums I have. If you think about a clave - the denser and heavier the wood the higher pitched the sound, the same applies to congas. Isla also uses a comparatively low slung belly design which is a lot like old valje drums and the current resolution drums and even old gon bops, although gon bops are more rounded. I've played valje drums and old gon bops and they had minimal overtones as well. My oak SOS drums have a tiny bit of overtones in them, but for me they are just the right balance of projection and warmth.

my isla conga is out of round and just sounds like crap, both boomy and ringy at the same time... to each his own. The Quintos sound good though, as does the tumba, which are still round - even though they're all different heights and the sizes don't work for playing them as a set. Ultimately Mario built them as rumba drums so he likely didn't attend to these details, which still seems weird to me. The 15" super tumba doesn't sound that great either - my 14" SOS kills it for both resonance and projection. Even if the construction was good I wouldn't buy the "15 again. The sad thing about Isla is that if Mario had paid a bit more attention to the quality of construction he would have an excellent product, well, that, and it's important to do what you say and run your business with integrity...
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby konkoba98 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 am

Just gotta say I bought a set of Isla conga, tumba, and 2nd conga about 5 years ago. After a few months I bought a quinto and super tumba. There were a number of imperfections, but at that time they were also significantly cheaper than the other great congas on the market. All in all these are some seriously good sounding drums and I love them. There are multiple issues with the set but many are due to my lack of experience caring for a great set of drums. They all sound amazing. You get what you pay for is some ways, but most likely these are the best sounding drums for the dollar - and they look pretty damn good to. Imperfections? Yes. Did I have customer service issues? Yes. I've heard the waiting list for a set of Ritmos is so long and the build time is so long you may not see your drums for a year or even years. Everyone loves Ritmo bc they are the best in maybe every way, but noone bitches about the wait time. Volcanoes are pretty... are they the best sounding... and for the money??? Lots of great percussionists play sub par insturments but make them sound amazing. Islas aren't as expensive as some, sound better than most, and don't have good customer service - actually it maybe crappy at times, buyer beware - but I'm super happy and maybe super lucky to have the great sounding set that I do.
konkoba98

Postby Mr. Conga » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 am

LMAO !.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mr. Conga

Postby windhorse » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:31 pm

s'chopp wrote:This complete 'lack of ring', is that down to the wood used? It does not look is if it's because of the 'quality construction'.

here's my theory:
The rough hewn uneven imperfections cancel out noise reflection in the Islas.
windhorse

Postby BMac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:32 am

I think Windhorse nailed it. My reading on conga history is of course just reading. I haven't traveled. I haven't played rustic vintage congas on the sidewalks of Havana. But it seems there is a correlation, in my reading and in what examples I have played, between modern constructions having a higher degree of geometrical perfection ... and ringing.
BMac

Postby yambu321 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 pm

First, I would like to wish all, a Happy 2015.
I just want say that I grew up in the Big Apple and as a Kid, Congas were all over the place. That sound stood in my blood throughout my Life. I have played Many LP, and Toca brand congas, played a beautiful set of Matthews, and set of SOS's. But that Earthy Authentic Sound of a True Rumba Drum I could not find. Finally one day online I found Mario Punchard's, Isla Percussions Videos Playing Cuban style Rumba. I know it's hard to judge a drums sound online, but, I some how Knew right away that I have found the Sound/drums that I have been Searching for. Isla's don't ring Much at all. They also look like the drums of the past masters Rustic and Beautiful with minor imperfections. A Real Handmade Drum (Not Furniture like) I am Boricua, but like My Cuban Associates would always say. Instead of looking at a drum for it's beauty first, they would grab the drum and hit it. If the sound was not right, they would go to the next, and when they would find a drum that had That Sound, they would hold on to it and only then would they closely look at it. even if a drum was cracked they would not give it up. For the sound is everything that matters, and with that said, Those that Know, are holding on to their Isla's.
Just want to share my thoughts.
Respectfully,
Charlie. :mrgreen:
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:49 am

ISLAS are now a bygone era. Its a shame, I really like those drums, did not care much for the hardware, none the less, just as you've described yambu321, the sound in UNDOUBETLY there. I do wish that I owned a set. I actually visited Mario when production was in Gardena California. Got to see all kinds of drums in his shop, really enjoyed the visit, let me tell you, Mario can play to, played a mean repique to some Rumba.
Cheers.
K.C
KING CONGA

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories