Skin Supplier List

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Skin Supplier List

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:46 pm

KING CONGA wrote:Wow madlatin now that is a sweet looking set of CP's. Congratulations. I own a set myself 10" & 11" which I restored about 4 months ago they sound very nice. I had one of my student buy a set just today, he got an amazing deal on two of them. Those skins sure look nice, mine too have original skins and were in need of conditioning so I conditioned them with good old Manteca de Corojo, man what a difference, not only do they sound better but they also look better. It's interesting to see that the hardware on the CP's is almost the same as the Matadors, with the exception of the logo, but then again the CP hardware from before was very different than todays CP hardware wich in my own opinion is trash.
Here are some pictures of my CP project.

My Hat is off to you ! I would never take the time to refinish these Asian made shells because of all the thick poly coats are so hard to remove. The drums look great ! In thoses days, the traditional crowns were as good as on LP models. Now the sell them w/ cheap comfort crown copies that are way to thin & they warp & bend out of shape. These heads will makt the drums sound as good as any other. Just never put the CP logos back on lol.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:53 pm

You can also get 'sheets' of skin from the Tandy Leather co. u can order any type of skins you want and the prices are very reasonable...from one sheet of skin you can get about 4 conga heads out of it....
JohnnyConga

Re: New Skins from Isaac

Postby Isaac » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 am

I now have some nice cow hides....and calf for bongos.

I have : Canadian cow, steer, calf, elk, deer, buffalo (American Bison)
Cow is either natural or bleached. . . .also goat, fishskin and
remo premounted heads for middle
eastern frame drums and doumbeks.

Tradicion Percussion Sales / Mid-East Percussion
e-mail:
funkytradition@yahoo.com

Isaac
Isaac

Postby apollo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 am

Anybody ever hear of Manito percussion? They sell skins from USA, just wondering has anyone tried them?
Apollo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steer-Skin-Conga-Dj ... algo%3DLVI%
apollo

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 am

Anybody knows where to buy flesh hoop rings for requintos, congas and bongosdifferent sizes?
Mr. Conga

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 am

Try Latin Rhythm Trader and African Rhythm Trader.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 am

THANK YOU! CANT WAIT TO SEE U CLOSE PICTURE OF YOUR REQUINTO..

HOW MUCH FORIT?... + HOW MUCH FOR SHIPPING? PM IF U WANT JUST WANT TO KNOW, DO U CURRENTLY HAVE OLD ISLA CONGAS?
Mr. Conga

Postby apollo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:41 am

apollo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm

I have a set of Mahogany Gon Bops with Mantino's skins and they sound amazing. I did not tuck the heads. They guy who sold me the drums told me they were Mantino's.

I have drums with L&H skins that are amazing as well. JCR skins are great as well.

I hope this helps.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Tumbao » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 am

I realize this is a skin thread, but does anyone have experience with Manito's congas? They look pretty unconventional, in shape construction and hardware.
Tumbao

Postby dende » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 am

New Skin Post!
Drum Skull Drums
They are out of Santa Cruz California
+1 (831) 429-5766
105 Pioneer Street, Suite C
Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Monday to Friday: 9:30AM - 6:00PM
http://www.drumskulldrums.com/en2/21/Sh ... odCatID=26
I like these guys, And along with the steer skins that they have, they also stock (call or email for) conga grade Guinea Cow skin Rounds for $42 (with or without Hair, i just ordered some with) .
If you contact them with a particular request they can usually get it for you, as well as different sized steel rings, goat skins, horse skins they have had before, and good calf skins.
They also have Djembe rope, it is hella expensive, yet the strongest ive used.

I have just found L&H Percussion, and i am looking forward to trying them out.

and does someone know where i can get Mule with Hair?
dende

Postby Jessica.Schutz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Wow - there is way too much information here. I need some simplified help because I'm overwhelmed.

I rescued two beat up congas on the way to the dump and have been stripping and staining them and am about ready to fit a new skin. Honestly though, I am not concerned about having a quality sounding conga (I wouldn't even know the difference). Mostly I am interested in the process of refinishing these beautiful instruments and plan to use them as decorations. That being said, I have done some reading about skins and would like something that is either medium weight or on the light-medium scale should the urge to play on a regular basis emerge, I don't want a thick skin that hurts the hands.

I need to be price savy because, as I said before, sound quality is not as big of a priority over the learning and creative process, plus I'm poor. $70 skins are too much. Can someone please recommend the type of skin I should look for and a couple suppliers where I can get economically sensitive skins?

Thanks for you help. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers-
Jessica
Jessica.Schutz

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:01 am

Jessica, what kind of drums do you have? If money is a concern and sound is of not much concern, best to just go with a factory replacement head, premounted and ready to go.
Maybe even a synthetic head the likes of REMO etc...
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 am

Or if you've got the skills and want to save some bread get some pakistani cow, usually like 20 bucks a head, cheaper than any premounted head.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories