What is this isntrument?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

What is this isntrument?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Can anyone tell me about the isntrument strapped to the wrists of the last player in
this cover of a Los Munequitos album.

Name, what rhythms it's used for, etc
Attachments
folclore.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Re: What is this isntrument?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Nkembi
bongosnotbombs

Postby guarachon63 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:12 am

Right, nkembi, generally said to come from the Yuka tradition (you can see a video clip of them being used here at around 2:24).

I seem to recall hearing them really clearly on the "Congo Yambumba" CD by Los Muñequitos. Used by the quinto player, especially with cajones, just to give that extra metallic dynamic to the sound, same as chaguoro on batá or how sometimes they will strap a row of jingle bells on a cajon.

I once made a pretty decent pair using some old cans of wasabi powder and some wristwatch bands with velcro. I punched some nail-holes all around and ran the straps through holes in the bottom. The top has a Nestle Quick-type opener so you can experiment with what (and how much of it) you want to put in there to rattle around. Once you decide on something you should epoxy it or glue it or something because in the heat of a rumba the tops are liable to come flying off. It was a fun project.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:36 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 am

Hey thanks a lot Barry, I was thinking of making some actually, so thanks for the advice.
There's some good footage of the nkembi in this video of Los Munequitos too.
It looks like they are made from one of those flour sifter cans or something.

So I guess the holes let the sound out of the cans better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQSPLDeuhs
bongosnotbombs

Postby guarachon63 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:03 pm

I always assumed that the muñequitos' nkembi were specially made by whoever makes their marugas (they used to use a nice one with three heads), but maybe they are adapted.

Yes I think the holes are to let the sound escape.

For someone like me with no metal-working knowledge or tools, the wasabi cans were convenient (I mostly just needed a hammer and a nail) they were a bit too thick and so maybe not as resonant as they might have been if made from thinner metal.

If you have some metalworking ability a good place to start might be something like a can of Red Bull (seems people are already doing interesting things with them!), one of those drinks that come in an aluminum can but with a smaller diameter than a normal soft drink. They didn't have those back when I used the wasai can.

I think you could maybe cut a piece out of the middle and then use the top and bottom of the can, just to make it shorter. Have fun and keep us posted!
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Well Geordie, I got inspired by your post and the vids you guys posted here. So, I ordered velcro watch straps and some tin cans.
Ordered the cans from specialtybottle.com. I wasn't sure of the size, so I got two different sizes - the 1/2 oz and the 1 oz. The 1/2 was too small, but the 1 oz seemed about right. Here's the part code - Tin Flat Container 1oz s/ Screwtop Cover Part#: SCREWCOVER

So, then I ordered velcro watch straps from CHISCO.com.
If you order from them, here's what you'll need: 20mm Wide THE BAND® BLACK 00020BL

Next step, create a way to attach the can to the strap.. answer, velcro adhesive strips..

As you can see from these pics, It's quite secure, but the problem now is that the strip that covers the can will cut out quite a bit of sound, so my plan is to cut longitudinal stripes longways across the strap where it covers the can.. I'll probably also poke a bunch of holes in the can. I also tried some small pebbles as you can see in the picture, but they are a little bit quiet, so I think the answer is going to be shot gun pellets, beebees, or maybe really small ball bearings. If I'm inspired by the final product, I'll post again when they're done..
Attachments
velcro.jpg
velcro adhesive on the bottom of the cans
velcro.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 8022 times
straps.jpg
nothing will come off your hands when you use these big boys!
straps.jpg (55.23 KiB) Viewed 8026 times
nkimbi.jpg
It's secure!
nkimbi.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Sweet! I've got a plan to use some tomato paste cans, probably in a week or so.
Really cool Dave. Maybe you can poke some holes in the lid to let some of the
sound out.
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Maybe you can poke some holes in the lid to let some of the
sound out.

Yep, done,, I used my leather sewing awl which has a really sharp and hard point - and I also cut out a big rectangular hole where the strap crosses over the lid.
It's working great! So, last step is to find some little round things that will give the right sound. I'll go to the hardware store later today.
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 pm

I was thinking of rice or lentil beans, then maybe small ball bearings.
I was thinking of the vegetables as a way to keep the weight down, but yours are
so small, maybe it doesn't matter.
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Rice was my first experiment. But, you could hardly hear it all.. Then rocks were still a bit too soft.
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:19 pm

With one layer of BBs on the bottom of the can, that seems to do the trick. I think it'd be too heavy with any more BBs in there, so I might add small pebbles, and think I'll call this project done..
Here's the completed project.
Attachments
nkimbi2.jpg
The holes did in fact help the sound quite a bit!
nkimbi2.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 7942 times
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey give us an update on how you like playing with them after a while
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:06 am

from the esquina rumbera blog

The Atlas de los Instrumentos Folklórico-Popular de Cuba tells us that throughout the mid-nineteenth and into the early 20th century, Yuka was perhaps the most popular Bantú (Congolese)-derived music and dance form in the central and western regions of Cuba. Yuka is a secular genre incorporating a percussion ensemble consisting of three drums generally called (from lowest to highest) "la caja," "la mula" (or "llamador") and "el cachimbo" (or "tumbador"), as well as a guataca (hoe blade) or cowbell and the "coco" or "guagua" part, typically played on the side of one of the drums with two sticks. The caja player would sometimes use little maracas on his wrists, called nkembis
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 am

Finally finished this little project. The straps are made from
belts I got at goodwill for $.99.
Anyways they seem good for now, but I have to do some real sound testing later.
Thanks Barrie and Dave for the advice and postings, and of course thanks to Jesus Alfonso.
Attachments
DSCF9382.JPG
DSCF9380.JPG
DSCF9379.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories