Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Postby guarachon63 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 pm

I had some copper-plated cookware that I used to use vinegar and salt on to clean and shine them up, not age them. Drop a (US) penny in some and see what happens. I guess as they age they will look like an old penny which could be pretty cool but will require plenty of handling I suppose.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Oh, I didn't noticed copper plated rim. First time see that... Maybe you could put some colourless polish over the hardware... Since you're not going to eat with the hardware... The green wolf, as we use the term for the copper oxidation here, is toxic, so clean your hands after you are done with playing and loosening the skins... ;)

Enjoy!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby vinnieL » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 pm

Congratulations it sure is fun getting brand new drums! I hope they meet all your expectations in both sound and construction they certainely look well built. Tell us your initial impressions on sound quality.
vinnieL

Postby Bachikaze » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm enjoying these drums. Early impression: great tumba (deep, full-bodied at a range of tunings); very good quinto (sharp, clear); still searching the conga's optimal tuning and sweet spot. It appears to have a very dry—meaning lack of moisture—head.

The most important thing is that I am really comfortable with these. I gave up what would normally be considered superior, higher-quality drums (Bauer Lites) to get these Thai-rubber-tree-wood-and-water-buffalo-mass-produced Kaman products. The bottom line is that I'm happier with the Tocas. They suit me (or I suit them).

The Bauers were just getting broken in and the tones were improving every time I played them, making it increasingly difficult to part with them. The woman who got them sounds great on them. So, we're both happy. "Win-win" as they say. I wasn't nearly as adept as she in reaching the drums' full potential, so they were wasted on me.

OK, there's one bad thing. It seems that there may be oxidization on the top edge of the crown of the quinto. There are tiny dark gray spots that seem embedded in the plating or the metal under it. The other two drums don't have them. I've only examined it with reading glasses, but that's what it looks like.

Even if they were at full price (they're discounted almost everywhere), I would recommend the Toca Traditionals for people who want this style of conga (slim body, traditional crowns). But, if you order, make sure you get the newer models for their improved hardware.

By the way, aesthetically, I'm already used to the copper hardware. Doesn't both me as much as I thought it might. Public opinion where I play them is that, overall, the drums are beautiful. For any of you can't stand the copper, most Traditionals are blond with antique steel hardware.
Bachikaze

Postby vinnieL » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 am

Thanks for your eval on these congas. Tocas websites says to put a skin lotion with lanolin in it to restore moisture in the heads they explain the soaking process and how it removes the oils from the heads.seems like a nice touch of reality from their website which is something most companies don't do.
vinnieL

Postby Cangrejero7 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 am

In terms of their sound for folkloric music(Rumba), how do they sound?
Cangrejero7

Postby congamyk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

The Toca's are nice drums, change the skins and they are as good as anything out there.
IMO the Toca traditional hardware is better than Pearl Folkloric - stronger and better finish.
http://youtu.be/Ngwt5s6QkN4
http://youtu.be/BFd_xGoReJY
Last edited by congamyk on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
congamyk

Postby congamyk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 am

Looks like Meinl is coming out with a traditional series also.
The "bands" are cosmetic only. :|

http://youtu.be/CiJTPTPl9QA
congamyk

Postby Kaban » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 am

Cangrejero7,

I have the Pearl Folkloric, and have played the Toca Traditional, at two different locations; the Pearl is much better. The skins on the Pearl are thick Australian female water buffalo (PH117WFC), which are bleached. If thick skins aren't your cup of tea, they also make for this drum a thin Asian water buffalo skin (PH117WFCE). The problem I have with Pearl, is the company has a website that play on words, it tells you they use thick American style cow skin, key word is "STYLE" they don't tell you all the details, but if you call, which I did, they will tell you everything. I rehabbed a set of Matador Fiberglass congas recently (which are for sale now) I asked three different people to listen to me play both; all three said the Pearl sounded better. The hardware is better then the Toca because the Pearl has polished steel, where the toca one has a nickle plated metal hardware. Why do you think the the Toca is so cheap in price, you get what you pay for.
Attachments
IMAG0047 (1).jpg
IMAG0057.jpg
Kaban

Postby Cangrejero7 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Kaban,
Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the info
The pearls look nice
my plan was actually getting the cheaper tocas and giving them a makeover and putting some art on 'em
as far as the pearls, theyre just too nice to do that to! LOL
But any specefic grievances with the tocas that I could perhaps fix or work on with handiwork
also how much fiberglass is in the pearls? Ive been debating whether or not to put resign in them
and im just curious being that these are the only folkloric drums ive seen with glass inside
Cangrejero7

Postby Kaban » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 am

Hey, real quick, I bet you can make those Tocas better then the Pearl drums. As for the inside, i will take pictures and post them here. I do love the Toca shape.
Kaban

Postby Cangrejero7 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks bro! :)
Cangrejero7

Postby Kaban » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:44 am

This is a picture of the tumba, it's nice, the glue is smoothed downed, and your finger will glide across easily. However the conga doesn't have the same craftsmanship, the glue is not smoothed downed, and your finger will feel a rough surface. Both drums are pretty loud, the tumba is a tad louder then a Gio Galaxy tumba I tried.
Attachments
IMAG0226.jpg
Kaban

Postby Cangrejero7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks bro, Much appreciated
Just curious though, is there a layer of fiberglass on the inside as the description suggests?

"Pearl's Folkloric Cuban Series Bongos and Congas feature a traditional look with modern innovation that only Pearl can deliver. Each 28' tall Oak conga is designed for the 'seated' player, but is pre-drilled for stand mounts if necessary. Thicker South American style natural skins makes the drums warm sounding, but a fiberglass gel coat on the interior seals the shell and adds the projection and volume desired by today's players. Four Polished Steel Reinforcing Bands are inset on the shell for a smooth touch, and the traditional hoops complete these stunning instruments in a Matte Crimson Sunrise finish."

Also are the open tones brief or is there alot of overtones
just curious
Cangrejero7

Postby Kaban » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:02 am

Based on the fact that my finger glides across the inside of the drum, yes for the tumba. However, the conga is too rough for me to say that it does, a real let down. It, the tumba, is really loud, if I tune it high, there is a noticeable ring. I contacted Pearl to let them know about the poor craftmanship, so based on the response, i will take some action.. even if they sound good. I paid for a new drum, i expect to get what it is advertised.
Kaban

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories