Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Postby Cangrejero7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 am

Damn right! Power to you brother! And thanks for the pics!
Cangrejero7

Postby jorge » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 am

Kaban wrote:Based on the fact that my finger glides across the inside of the drum, yes for the tumba. However, the conga is too rough for me to say that it does, a real let down. It, the tumba, is really loud, if I tune it high, there is a noticeable ring. I contacted Pearl to let them know about the poor craftmanship, so based on the response, i will take some action.. even if they sound good. I paid for a new drum, i expect to get what it is advertised.

Rough inside of the drum does not in any way equate with poor craftsmanship. SOS, Juniors and other high quality drums have big glue seams on each stave joint where the glue squeezed out when the drum was built. Those big seams are probably stronger than the smooth seams your finger glides over. The roughness probably helps not hurts the sound. Instead, look at how precisely the staves fit together (thinner glue lines on the outside surface are better), how strong the glue joints appear to be, general craftsmanship on all parts of the wood shell, and design, welds and finishing and rustproofing of the hardware. And if it sounds good and plays well, that is worth a lot.
jorge

Postby Kaban » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Jorge, all great points, but I don't think I made myself clear. On my conga drum, who ever put it together took shortcuts/incomplete, so I equate that as poor craftmanship. I paid for something that was advertise with certain features, so I expect it. The drum is a good mass produced drum, but so is LP, Meinl, and Gon Bops.
Kaban

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Kaban wrote: I paid for something that was advertise with certain features, so I expect it.

I may learn something here. What features are those? Specifically inside the drum.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Kaban » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Cangrejero7 wrote:Thanks bro, Much appreciated
Just curious though, is there a layer of fiberglass on the inside as the description suggests?

"Pearl's Folkloric Cuban Series Bongos and Congas feature a traditional look with modern innovation that only Pearl can deliver. Each 28' tall Oak conga is designed for the 'seated' player, but is pre-drilled for stand mounts if necessary. Thicker South American style natural skins makes the drums warm sounding, but a fiberglass gel coat on the interior seals the shell and adds the projection and volume desired by today's players. Four Polished Steel Reinforcing Bands are inset on the shell for a smooth touch, and the traditional hoops complete these stunning instruments in a Matte Crimson Sunrise finish."

Also are the open tones brief or is there alot of overtones
just curious
Kaban

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Sounds like the whole inside shell suppose to be fiberglassed. I think LP only fibeglass
inside around the area where the bolts and nuts of the lug metal plates are located for
re-inforcement.

•30" Siam Oak, 3-ply Shell with a fiberglass layer added to the inside upper portion of the shell for additional strength.
RitmoBoricua

Postby hotcongaman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 am

i am looking for the tumba in the two tone set. if anyone knows where i can get one please respond. i have been looking for the drum for over three years with no success.Thanks.
hotcongaman

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories