Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Postby Bachikaze » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 pm

I've been thinking about what congas to buy for over a year. I think I have narrowed my choices to two: Toca Traditionals and Pearl Folkloric. The Tocas have some pretty good compliments here; there's a little less info on the Pearls, but at least two players liked them.

Do you have any advice for me? Keep in mind that the Pearls are about US$100 more.

Thanks.
Bachikaze

Re: Toca Traditional or Pearl Folkloric?

Postby seisporocho1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 pm

If I had to choose btw those brands, I would probably go for the pearls.
But I would buy LP Matadors over any other drum (in that range) any day!!!

good luck
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:03 am

I agree with seisporocho as far as matadors. But i too would choose the Pearls. Pearl hardware is very rugged and smooth.
vinnieL

Postby Bachikaze » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:14 am

Thanks. Are there any Matadors with traditional rims (crowns)? I'm avoiding "comfort rims".
Bachikaze

Postby Facundo1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:19 am

Bachikaze,

I would go for the Toca Traditionals. They are a sleeper that many overlook. Change the heads to a good cow or mule hide and you will be more than pleased aside from saving some money. I have had a pair for years now and they have served me very well. Although, I have to admit I have not played the Pearl Folkloric. Matadors have a good sound but like you I don't like comfort curve rims on my drums. Aside from that the Toca Traditional have the ratio of head size to opening at the bottom just right. I play mostly Folkloric music so they have become my back up drums when I don't want to carry my Mathew customized solid shells out. However, in the end it is your ears that must find what you like. Everyone has their own biases for reasons that are very real to them. Buy what sounds and feels right to you. As time goes on you will have several different drums that are made from different sources. Some of the best drummers I have known over the years had horrible drums but they could make them talk. Its' what's in your head, soul and hands that really makes the difference.

Facundo1
Facundo1

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 am

While i have never played the Pearl line, My buddy did let me use his Toca Traditionals on my last recording project. They have a good sound and feel. they really project a strong bass tone due to their taper. The only thing about them that i don't care for are their high collars. Just get some flat skins and re tuck the heads and they would be great drums. Heres a shot of me in the studio:
Bris album.jpg
Recording in Baltimore...
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:59 am

I will admit that toca congas are ignored for the most part but are good drums as far as mass produced drums go.
vinnieL

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:00 am

On the other hand, I have heard that different to many other mass-produced congas,
Pearl Folkloric congas come with good skins right out of the box!
So if you want to avoid investing in skins right now, the Folkloric line might be a good choice.
Have to admit that all of this is hearsay only though, as the Pearl congas do not pop up in Europe often.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby congamyk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:26 am

I own a set of Toca Traditional congas.
I have purchased several sets of them due to the fact that I live 10 mins from Musician's Friend warehouse and clearance center.
They use to sell the traditional model and any returns would hit the clearance center floor for $100/drum so I've bought (and resold) a lot of them.

They are very well made - built like a tank - and heavy.
They also look great - the hardware is outstanding!

The only downside is the skins, some are very, very thin.
One I got even sounded like a djembe skin - it was thin and poor.
I changed the skin and it sounds as good as any drum - anywhere.

I hope to play a set of Pearl's Folkloric model congas.
They look like fine drums too.
congamyk

Postby seisporocho1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Being fair to the Tocas, I have a Toca 11 3/4 conga. I bought the one that have the "burned wood" look. i don't remember what line that is ... maybe the Limited Edition.
Anyway, the skin it came with (even though decent) was not projecting the sound I was looking for. So I put a Bill Confer bullhide thinking it would do the trick. That also didn't work. It was as if there just isn't enough belly on this drum for the tones to sustain. They are much narrower than a matador which is what I'm used to.
Then I changed the skin to a mule skin I had bought years ago from Isaac and had never mounted. I have to say the drum now sings.
Yet, I think this skin in specific would have made ANY drum sing. So regardless of how the drum sounds now, I still think the shape is not a desired shape for me. It lacks belly in my opinion and doesn't have the sustain the matadors have.
And as mentioned above, it is JUST MY OPINION.
I know a few drummers that enjoy the sound of the Tocas.
In the end, I still say Matadors all the way and if looking for traditional rims, buy some from Olsongo. Matadors are so good, you could buy them used and if they are in good shape, they'll still last you a lifetime.
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 pm

"I have purchased several sets of them due to the fact that I live 10 mins from Musician's Friend warehouse and clearance center.
They use to sell the traditional model and any returns would hit the clearance center floor for $100/drum so I've bought (and resold) a lot of them."

Congamyk, You are one lucky Dog! I'd have no cash whatsoever if I lived where you do :D
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:16 pm

The music store down the street has a pair of the Pearl Folkloric series.
They are a nicely built drum. Of course the skins aren't good, same as any
other manufactured set.

They sound good to me, I've played them. The hardware is very good. The metal bands
are inlaid into the wood. I think they are a nice set of drums.
bongosnotbombs

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 pm

I hear you about money I'm glad i have my classics and got them in time because it seems everything is getting tighter and tighter financially and i find myself coming out of the dream world of music and instruments to realize there are other thigs that need to be taken care of. I do wish i lived near a clearance center though LOL.
vinnieL

Postby vinnieL » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 pm

At the end a lot has to do with the player also Look at what Anga would do with a set of Tocas!
vinnieL

Postby umannyt » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:25 pm

My vote goes to Toca Traditionals. IMO, minimalist yet elegant.
umannyt

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories