“My 1950's Candido Requena project”

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: “My Requeña project”

Postby taikonoatama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:20 pm

KING CONGA wrote:Took the hardware to a local buissness for strip and re chrome, $165 :cry:

$165 for everything? Crown, side plates, lugs, and handle? You should be celebrating this price! I didn't find anything anywhere close to that price here in the SF Bay Area - that's a deal is what that is. Chroming isn't cheap.

KING CONGA wrote:I am wondering if I should put the handle back on it, which by the way is also being chromed, what do you Conga junkies think?

I'd do it - mine came with a handle that looks identical to yours but it was rusted and corroded so badly that I took/left it off. Just make sure you use (relatively) large washers (i.e., don't use really small ones) on the inside to spread out the pressure/stress.

James
taikonoatama

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Greetings James, yes that is the total charge for all of the hardware, and you are right that is no doubt reasonable, I guess what I think of if the cost of the final restoration, including shipping, ouch :x . It's a good thing that I am not restoring this drum with the intentions of selling it. James if you decide to have your hardware re-chromed let me know and Ill forward you this persons information.
You know, the handle that was on it had been a replacement for another one, I can tell because it’s got a different set of holes. Apparently the original handle was a little shorter, this one is a little longer so the hand fits better, so obviously not as old as the drum, or maybe, do you still think that I should have it put on?
Last edited by KING CONGA on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Good job on the chrome. I would keep the handle to keep the drum original
complete and intact. It's how Senor Requena made the drum. Also I like handles. But why
didn't you chrome the handle too? Will it not look odd to have newly chromed
hardware and an old looking handle?

edit: I guess it's possible after reading your post the handle may not be original,
I'd still keep it, it came with the drum when you got it, and these drums originally came
with some sort of handle when they were made.
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:59 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:why didn't you chrome the handle too? Will it not look odd to have newly chromed

The handle is also being chromed.
Last edited by KING CONGA on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:02 pm

KING CONGA wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:why didn't you chrome the handle too? Will it not look odd to have newly chromed

The handle is also being chromed.

My mistake.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:32 pm

My hardware is finally completed. After a month wait I finally got my hardware back. I you enlarge the picture of the side plates you will notice some discoloration under the Lug loop. Before I had them chromed the person told me that that area would end up like that and that unless the lug was disassembled it would show some discoloration. By no means was I going to have the lugs disassembled so I agreed and said it would be ok, once the lug goes on it will not be as noticeable anyways. I guess that it has something to do with the process :roll: . To be honest, the hardware turned out much better than I expected :D . All that’s left now is to get the drum back from Matt and then install the cuero, then Ill really be a happy camper. I'm still waiting and hoping that Matt will send me some in-process pictures of the restoration, if he does you can be sure that I will post them for all of you conga junkies :lol: Thank all of you for sharing my joy and excitement.

NOTE: See the previous page for the before pictures.
Attachments
DSC01348.JPG
Restored Requeña side plates
DSC01344.JPG
Restored Requeña crown
DSC01351.JPG
Restored Requeña lugs
DSC01346.JPG
Restored Requeña hardware
DSC01347.JPG
Restored Requeña hardware
KING CONGA

Postby willie55 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm

WOW beautiful work, will be a masterpiece, like fine furniture
willie55

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Some excellent work for sure! I always thought it was next to impossible to get small
pieces chromed economically around here.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Tonio » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:44 pm

wooo doggie!! :lol:

Thats some mighty fine work .

KC, you've found a good sopurce for chrome jobs.

T
Tonio

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank all of you for your compliments I'm eagerly looking forward to the end product :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Postby onile » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Alafia Abure King Conga!
Espero que todo este bien contigo!

Wow! What's the size of that head? It almost looks like an hembra from a bongo.....

The chrome looks fantastic, you'll have an incredible drum without a doubt, when you put the puzzle all back together!

Que Chevere!

Onile!

BTW! I made contact with your referral, we met this week. He's really a great person with a great love for the drum!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

onile wrote:Wow! What's the size of that head? It almost looks like an hembra from a bongo.....

Greetings Tony. It's just the angle of the shot, the actual conga head size is, Im not mistaking, is about 11".

Im glad it worked out with the contact, Im sure that he will be very happy to have you as an instructor.
La bendicion.
Juan
Last edited by KING CONGA on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Just talked to matt this morning, the Requeña is all "glued up", he sayd "It went really well". We talked about the finish on the drum, he recommended poly for better preservation and protection and I agreed. He did say that he could not do much sanding being that the wood was on the thin side which means that some of the surface anomalies will still be visible, although not as bad. . He has been taking pictures and told me that he would forward those as soon as he has the time :shock:
Anyways, he told me that I would have it in about two weeks :mrgreen:

I was specially encouraged by his final comment: "looks like you found yourself a good platter!"
Last edited by KING CONGA on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
KING CONGA

Postby pcastag » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:01 am

awesome!
PC
pcastag

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:05 pm

It's getting closer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Here is the latest status on my Requeña. The last e-mail is from this week end:

"I just finished the glue-up,it went really well. I want to check in with you about a few things and make sure we are on the same page so please give me a ring when you have a spare moment.Take care,Matt"

"Juan, I have the drum stripped down but to really get it looking refreshed it would need to be sanded down quite a bit, Because of it's thinness any sanding is just out of the question.It would be best to use a pigment in the varnish to hide all the flaws.It would need to be something dark like a mahogany color.I have done this in the past with great results and it retains the look of it being a wood drum.I highly recommend this or it's going to look hideous in comparison to the new chrome,polished bands and everything.Let me know if this is ok with you.Matt"

"Hope your cool and will get some photos to you beginning of next week.I think I can bring the color up close to the original color of the drum with it's aged patina.It will look old, but like it was taken very good care of for all those years.Matt"

Im looking forward to those pictures and expect the drum to be ready within the next month and a half. I will continue to keep all of the conga junkies posted :D
Last edited by KING CONGA on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KING CONGA

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories