“My 1950's Candido Requena project”

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: “My 1950's Candido Requena project”

Postby Xeno » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Here is an image of the drum with the "Solis" decal on the inside. The hardware and shape looks very much like the image of the conga on the cover of that Gema LP.
Attachments
Solis1.jpg
Brought back to life years ago as a do-it-yourself project. Maybe today I could afford to do a better restoration.
Xeno

Postby Xeno » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 pm

After careful reading of this great thread I understand that the Requeña drums were sold at Casa Solis Music Store in Old Habana. That explains the Solis decal on the inside.
Xeno

Postby Xeno » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Here is another conga I brought back to life as a do-it-yourself learning experience several years ago. Now I am thinking that it could also be Requena made.
These projects were done before the era of online discussion and knowledge about this process and the preciousness of the drums. I had to learn how to make missing metal hoops from recycled wine barrel parts among other things. I didn't know any better and chrome plating was out of the budget at the time.
Attachments
BlueRequena.jpg
Xeno

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Your drums are a gem in themselves Xeno and ofcourse I am also refering to that rare Vergara whose images youve shared with us already. Throughout this experience of restoration I have come to know the character of a Requena drum and let me assure you, you no doubt have a couple of Requenas in hand. Wow this is truly amazing. I had noticed a picture of your green one in the past, although I can’t remember where, but I was sure to save it, see bellow.
Dario, AKA OMELENKO, is, in my opinion, the most influential authority in this Forum when it comes to Vintage Congas such as ours. It was through him how I first found out the history of these drums as well as where they were sold which is, as you’ve described, CASA SOLIS in Havan Cuba.
By the way, what do you think of the sound on your Requenas?
If you don’t mind, could you please take a picture of the inside of this conga, if possible a clear close up of the sticker. I would love to duplicate it so that I can make one for my own drum.
Can you tell if the hardware is all original on your drums?
Attachments
havana_quinto_green-sm.jpg
havana_quinto_green-sm.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
KING CONGA

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:58 am

Xeno, very nice indeed brother. Rustic restoration has left it with the old school character of the drum, they both now look like something I would expect to find in Habana Vieja, man Im sure that drum would have some stories to tell of crazy rum fuelled rumba... A real treasure.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Xeno,

You and I have been in touch through the Latinjazz forum. The green and red is a Candido Requena sold through SOLIS music store in Old Havana. Back in the fifties a quinto like yours cost $37 Cuban pesos, which at the time equated the US dollar. A Vergara would cost $45 pesos.

Regards,

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Requena on e-bay :cry: . I decided to sell. will look for a set of Classic Valjes instead. If I dont sell it it's ok though.
KING CONGA

Postby onile » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
You put so much effort and time into that project Papa!

I'm sure you've got your reasons though!
Attachments
catno.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby KING CONGA » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:08 am

onile wrote:I'm sure you've got your reasons though!

I recently met someone who has some Valjes and I just fell in love with them and so decided to try and look for some, I figured that a set of Valjes would be more practical for me.
I might entertain some trades just in case someone here is interested :P
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 am

I am happy to announce that I continue to be the proud owner of what I consider to be, the most beautiful drum around.
I was just contacted by MIM, Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix Arizona, they are interested in displaying my Drum. I have sent them the information they requested and am waiting for a phone call from the curator. They asked me if I was interested in donating or loaning the drum :P :P :P , loan of course, so they will send me a loan agreement.
I am excited about having this drum displayed knowing that it will be appreciated for what it is, a true historical relic.

Ok Onile this Museum is right up your alley. Now you’ll have the opportunity to see this drum first hand.

For those interested, here is a link to the Museum.

www.themim.org
KING CONGA

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 am

KING CONGA wrote:I am happy to announce that I continue to be the proud owner of what I consider to be, the most beautiful drum around.
I was just contacted by MIM, Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix Arizona, they are interested in displaying my Drum. I have sent them the information they requested and am waiting for a phone call from the curator. They asked me if I was interested in donating or loaning the drum :P :P :P , loan of course, so they will send me a loan agreement.
I am excited about having this drum displayed knowing that it will be appreciated for what it is, a true historical relic.

Ok Onile this Museum is right up your alley. Now you’ll have the opportunity to see this drum first hand.

For those interested, here is a link to the Museum.

http://www.themim.org

That's great to hear, that's a "classic Cuban" drum, a true vintage musical instrument.
Made by 'Candido Requena', one of two (the other being Gonzalo Vergara) legendary drum makers during the late 1940's through the heyday of the "tunable" 1950's.
There were "tunable" systems applied to Batá drums long before Requena, but **Requena was the one to "refine" the system and is said to be among the first to make "tunable" bongoes (as we know them today).

You will be proud that you put the time and effort into it's restoration... and that you are the instruments owner.
I'd like to see it when it's on display.
Make sure they ('MIM') know the **historical importance of it and it's maker.

You can get Valje's anyday... a soulful Requena or Vergara you can not.

Markito
Attachments
Zayas.jpg
Drummer on the left with a classic tumbadora made by Candido Requena.
Beautiful light colored wood.
Bata tunable.JPG
Very old set of Batá, with a very early metal "tunable" system.
Grupo Guaguancó Matancero '55,'56.jpg
Grupo Guaguancó Matancero with two mid 1950's "early tunable" tumbadoras.
(not Requenas)
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby Anonimo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 am

King,

I sent a PM. I have a set of 3 Oak Valje Ashikos (10", 11" and 12" by 31 1/2") in nearly mint condition with faux Zebrawood finish that is of 3312 Sunset vintage. Perhaps we can arrange a trade.
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby roberthelpus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:18 pm

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:
That's great to hear, that's a "classic Cuban" drum, a true vintage musical instrument.
Made by 'Candido Requena', one of two (the other being Gonzalo Vergara) legendary drum makers during the late 1940's through the heyday of the "tunable" 1950's.
There were "tunable" systems applied to Batá drums long before Requena, but **Requena was the one to "refine" the system and is said to be among the first to make "tunable" bongoes (as we know them today).

You will be proud that you put the time and effort into it's restoration... and that you are the instruments owner.
I'd like to see it when it's on display.
Make sure they ('MIM') know the **historical importance of it and it's maker.

You can get Valje's anyday... a soulful Requena or Vergara you can not.

Markito

Note the quinto player in the top pic is definitely watching what the dancers are doing.

"You can get Valje's anyday..." Golly, where is this magical place that you live :?: :wink:
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Fantastic news. I hope you find that set of Valjes soon. Nice to know the Requena will have a good home. Maybe I'll win the lottery and put in an offer for it sometime.
bongosnotbombs

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories