“My 1950's Candido Requena project”

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: “My 1950's Candido Requena project”

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 pm

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:You can get Valje's anyday... a soulful Requena or Vergara you can not.

Markito

roberthelpus wrote:"You can get Valje's anyday..." Golly, where is this magical place that you live :?: :wink:

I see them for sale every week all over the internet, from a few days ago:
http://nanaimo.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-drums-percussion-Valje-Congas-Bongos-W0QQAdIdZ221810116

I see them here on Craigs list (N.Y.C.) often.
However I can't remember the last time I saw a Valje drum on a band gig or at a rumba in N.Y.C.
Here in N.Y.C. most drummers play the common and standard Lp's along with the cheaper economy lines Lp manufactures in another country.
The guys I know all own and play S.O.S., Junior Tirado's, Matt Smith's.
(Tony Rosa, Eddie Bobé, Jerry Gonzalez, Gene Golden, Rene Lopez Jr., Tito Sandoval and myself)

Keep that drum! :lol:

Markito
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

leedy2 wrote:KIng Conga
That is good congratulations. Here is advise to you I have some drum's at Smithsonian Institute on show , (the first Proto type timbales made by Charles Tappan for Leedy Drums and a set of Cuban Timbales) and they pay you, so ask .2ND and very important Insurance get the drum insured any thing happens you are covered put triple the amount it a historic piece hard to replace.

Greetings Leedy. I know it sounds crazy but I am not at all interested in making money from this, I am however interested in sharing the joy of this drum with everyone possible and this is a great opportunity for me to do so.
I like the Idea of loaning the drum to the Museum, this is my way of contributing to such a wonderful place as this.
In regards to insuring the drum, well let me just say that unless this drum is insured it will not leave my house plus I would expect it to be placed in an area where it would be protected from the elements plus where people will not be touching or handling it.
cheers.
KING CONGA

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 pm

$8,700 for a set of Valjes sounds a bit crazy to me. :shock: Even though it is a complete set of Bongo, Quinto, Conga, Tumba and Super Tumba. Perhaps my faux Zebrawod set of Valjes is worth half of that. This is a complete set 10", 11" and 12". This is not a common offering for Tom Flores and the finish is beautiful.

I lucked out when I found this set ofTom Flores originals being sold by someone who called them a set of "Bongos" :? (UGG). I felt morally convicted to take these pieces of musical art off the hands of someone who does not fully appreciate percussive arts. I love the set but I would trade them for something desireable. I am not interested in selling them but if the right offer came along thenI would consider it.

I too would like to see where I could find Valjes or equivalent congas available every day too. I understand your comment Fidel because the Candido and Valje are 2 completely different classes of musical instruments. I would love to find a Sol Titantic conga (16" or 17" head?). If anybody has one of these for sale please let me know.
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 pm

KING CONGA wrote:I am not at all interested in making money from this, I am however interested in sharing the joy of this drum with everyone possible and this is a great opportunity for me to do so.
I like the Idea of loaning the drum to the Museum, this is my way of contributing to such a wonderful place as this.
cheers.

Yessss.... bravo KING CONGA!

With much respect,
Markito

(who knows what will become of it if it's "sold")
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby Anonimo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:11 am

They are going to make money on the drum why not you also.

I sure hope they make money, I want them to make money and lots of it, so that they can keep blessing me and evryone else interested with open doors of this wonderful Museum displaying these wonderful Instruments. Regardless of the money, this is a non profit organization that not only relies on Federal and state funding but support from the general public as well, this is how they are able to keep their doors open, and like I said, it's my way of contributing and I dont mind doing it at all.
Last edited by KING CONGA on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KING CONGA

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Forgot about the new Valjes. Maybe some day after I finish my fiberglassed Gon Bops collection. A friend has a set of three (tumba, segundo, and quinto) that are mine when I want them. As I've mentioned before, a friend has a set of three Valjes and they are wonderful drums that I always head straight for when I visit his studio.
roberthelpus

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Well, all moving forward with my Requena. The Museum, MIM, sent a professional packaging Co. to my house today to Package and ship the drum to the Museum overnight. They made a special crate just for the drum. Man this journey continues to be one of adventure for me. Since the very beginning I have had so much fun with this project.
As I gather more information about the exhibition I will post it.
It really bring me great satisfaction on being able to post my experience here knowing that its all appreciated.
Thanks again to all of you for your support, especially to Matthew Smith, el manos de Oro, Omelenko, the man with the history & James AKA taikonoatama

The exhibition will be called "CUBA".
KING CONGA

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 am

Hello!

KingKonga, how beautiful life can be and how the cards are shuffelled... ;) This beautiful tumbadora and her calling to you with restoration and everything had it's purposes, one of them was to be an important piece of this exhibition in museum. What comes next, we don't know, just sit back and enjoy the ride man! It's a rollercoaster and i hope you don't mind the curves and loopings :)

Take care of you and that drum, the adventure is ON!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

GuruPimpi wrote: What comes next, we don't know, just sit back and enjoy the ride man! It's a rollercoaster and i hope you don't mind the curves and loopings :)

One thing I can say, it’s been a rollercoaster of joy all the way till now. I just received an email from the Museum telling me that the drum arrived earlier today. They are waiting for one of the curators to be present before the special crate is opened.
The shipping company created a special case which fits the drum just like a glove. I was told by the shipping company that when the drum is returned to me they will give me the option of keeping it for free, thuuuuu, of course Ill say yes.
I cant wait for it to be on the Museum floor, maybe Ill be there the first day it shows. Phoenix Arizona is about 5 hrs from my house and if I get lucky I might get in for Free :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 am

I was just informed that the newly designed "CUBA" exhibition will open up in April. I was told that the exhibition will also include a set of congas donated by Los Muñequitos de Matanza. Im going to try and be there for opening day and you know Ill be taking some pictures :mrgreen: . Will post.
KING CONGA

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Good luck with that project. I used to do beat up broken Gon Bops & Valje's in simular condition but I wont accept such projets unless its a must have drum to mate some I do use. Its a piece of Latin Drum history for sure ! I have seen lots of vintage pictures & album covers w/ this drum model but never played one. I'd probably destroy a drum made that thin :) because I am hard hitting.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 pm

leedy2 wrote:
Jerry Bembe wrote:$8,700 for a set of Valjes sounds a bit crazy to me. :shock: Even though it is a complete set of Bongo, Quinto, Conga, Tumba and Super Tumba. Perhaps my faux Zebrawod set of Valjes is worth half of that. This is a complete set 10", 11" and 12". This is not a common offering for Tom Flores and the finish is beautiful.

I lucked out when I found this set ofTom Flores originals being sold by someone who called them a set of "Bongos" :? (UGG). I felt morally convicted to take these pieces of musical art off the hands of someone who does not fully appreciate percussive arts. I love the set but I would trade them for something desireable. I am not interested in selling them but if the right offer came along thenI would consider it.

I too would like to see where I could find Valjes or equivalent congas available every day too. I understand your comment Fidel because the Candido and Valje are 2 completely different classes of musical instruments. I would love to find a Sol Titantic conga (16" or 17" head?). If anybody has one of these for sale please let me know.

Brand new Valje drums and if you haggle with Ralph Flores You get a better deal.same as older sets also better lugs than old ones these prices are list prices

Quinto 10" $ 790.00
Conga 11" $ 840.00
Tumba 12" $ 880.00
super Tumba $ 940.00

Bongo 7" - 8" $ 500.00
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:
leedy2 wrote:
Jerry Bembe wrote:$8,700 for a set of Valjes sounds a bit crazy to me. :shock: Even though it is a complete set of Bongo, Quinto, Conga, Tumba and Super Tumba. Perhaps my faux Zebrawod set of Valjes is worth half of that. This is a complete set 10", 11" and 12". This is not a common offering for Tom Flores and the finish is beautiful.
Ernesto Quotes : I hate to say this, but although the Valje shells are great, the old style hardwares copying the original Valjes are one reason I sold my original Valjes. There are to many below par design flaws that represent future problems of mal aligned lugs in the side cleats when the lug saddles that are only riveted & warp out of position and damage tuning threads. The hooks themselves sometimes would straighten out from the tension of tuning, requiring hook replacements. The bands must be present & made of non stretching steel, not soft aluminum. All stave drums must have alma rings that flush fit to every stave, not just a few. Stave construction is only dependable if tougue & groove staves lock together to keep the staves from flexing. The stave seams are the weak link, especialy on thinner staves that have been lathe turned which removes material at the stave seams more so than the stave bodies. The side clets / lug plates are not distributing the stress loads sufficiently & should have been enlarged & a 3 hole mounting w/ 2 hole on bottom & 1 hole above avoids weakening the stave wood grain & strenghten the bottom of the lug where the majority of the stress pulls outward & upward. The shells need more bumper protection to protect the shell & floors & to aid the resonance of the shells when on the floor or a concrete slab. Making a copy of an 1950's design is just copying the flaws that required maintenence, repairs & replace ment parts. Are the sharp edges of the metal parts beveled before chroming ? Are the heads matched to every set of congas w/ matching quality & appropriate head weights ? The details that represent the features are selling points as well as an attractive look. The Bongos are the most flawed if using the old style 2 individual shell separators that twist & crack shells. A better bracing is needed & the bottom base ring saddles need weldments not just rivets. Are bongo sound edges sharp or w/ rounded contours that asist the drum head & is comfortable to hands ? Details of improvement will sell Valjes to me, not just a reproduction of old designs. Even Asian imports have dependable hard wares ! ? Gon Bops never corrected their designs substantialy until Timba up graded the side plates. New Gon Bops have Fat Conga crowns. This was improvement ! End ~ Ernesto Pediangco 2/15/2011

Brand new Valje drums and if you haggle with Ralph Flores You get a better deal.same as older sets also better lugs than old ones these prices are list prices

Quinto 10" $ 790.00
Conga 11" $ 840.00
Tumba 12" $ 880.00
super Tumba $ 940.00

Bongo 7" - 8" $ 500.00

I
Ernesto Pediangco

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories