Who's actually played Mopercs?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Who's actually played Mopercs?

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 am

Yup, just put some fragile stickers on it, some bubble wrap and foam peanuts is all Jay and Josh used. Drums arrived in perfect condition every time - I did 3 orders with them to build the set I have now.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Ebongo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:32 am

One of the unique features of Moperc is the cut-to-shape staves, since non-bent wood makes for a more solid build. :D

Questions: :roll:
I've read the Moperc website, but is there really a noticeable difference in sound between the tropical, Cubano, and the salsa club congas? Is it because the salsa club conga can be tuned higher with its wider spread of the screws?
Since the staves are cut and not bent, are the metal bands of the Cubano conga really helping?---wouldn't more screws just affect the integrity of the wood, and, when often playing in hot weather wouldn't the metal bands and extra screws just pull on the wood more?
Last edited by Ebongo on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebongo

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:18 pm

The metal bands are what makes the Cubano "Cubano".
bongosnotbombs

Postby congamyk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 am

The Cubano Series has the traditional A-shaped hardware plates are one of the biggest differences.
The website says that the wood selected is more "prime" and carefully controlled shell thickness.

The "Salsa Club" model has the long "sword-like" plates and Moperc claims the contour is of special design.
Salsa Club does not come with metal bands but Michel can use them for any drum he makes, just ask.
congamyk

Postby Marcus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I know some metal bands are just cosmetic but the tight bands, and I assume that Moperc has those very tight hugging bands--do they provide any tonal quality like a muffling effect of shell resonance?

hmmmm, marcus
Marcus

Postby Ebongo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 am

I wonder which traditional cuban drums he is referring to because the specs and shapes are not exactly the same between all makers even in Cuba. Was he perhaps referring to Sonoc?

There are other great drum makers in north america. It is safe to say that Moperc is one of the best.

bongosnotbombs wrote:That's the Fidel's Eyeglasses blog you're talking about. Mark has very strong opinions on congas...and
experience to back it up it seems.

Saying that I've played a Moperc Cubano Tres Dos, the one with the 3 bands. It sounded great, I could really tell the
sound quality when it was played with the other drums at the rumba. It stood out from the rest.

I looked at it pretty closely, and saw several nice little details that told me someone put a
lot of thought into how the drum was made. I didn't pick it up, so I don't know how heavy it
was. I think it was made of maple. Very nice drum.

Tonio here has one too.
Ebongo

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories