New Volcano Percussion Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: New Volcano Percussion Congas

Postby pcastag » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 am

pdxisbest wrote:As a recent acquirer of new Volcanos I'd like to add my 2 cents on the "art drum" idea. Yes, you can pay extra for the artistic merits of a drum, but those are only a reflection of the overall quality you are purchasing. There's also the unseen details like steam stave bending, wood that isn't bandsawed from old plantation rubber trees, biscuits in all the joints... quality built into every step. The beautiful end result is the sum of quality worksmanship and materials at every step of the process. In addition to the visual appeal the end result is a stronger drum with superior sonic qualities.

"Hucking a drum" into the bed of a pickup or subjecting it to any major physical trauma is simply asinine. It risks destroying the tonal properties of the instrument. A crack, a dent in the bearing edge, stripped lugs, any of these can impair the sound of a drum. Why take that risk, not to mention the loss of life on your investment?

I say buy quality instruments, play them like they're intended to be played (and frequently), but treat them with the respect they deserve.

Wll, maybe some people buy beater drums so thay can huck them when they want!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:30 am

pcastag wrote:Wll, maybe some people buy beater drums so thay can huck them when they want!
PC

Exactly!

I don't know enough about conga professionals who gig with beat up-looking conga. But, in the guitar world, which has been previously cited as an example, aside from Willie Nelson, there's living legend Eric Clapton who played with a black, beater Fender Stratocaster affectionately nicknamed "Blackie". "Blackie" was auctioned in 2004 at Christie's for a whopping $959,500, reportedly the most expensive guitar ever sold!

In fact, Fender even has a line of vintage guitars that are brand new but have an intentionally-beater look, including a "Blackie" replica which comes complete with scratches on the front and back of the body, almost completely faded back and cigarette burn marks on the headstock near the tuners where Clapton used to insert cigarettes between the headstock and the strings. And these vintage guitars cost a lot more than immaculately-looking brand new ones.

Also, think faded designer jeans with holes which cost a lot more than brand new ones.

IMO, there'll never be consensus on whether one should buy and play with pristine-looking congas or beater ones. There isn't and won't be a correct answer, only personal preferences. To which, I repeat the old saying, "To each his/her own" and "Live and let live".
umannyt

Postby congalero » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:34 am

Gallichio,
I have a set - Curl Koa: 9.75" - Super Requinto, 11.00" - Quinto, 11.75" - Conga, 12.50" - Tumba. These drums are beautiful, and well made. I must agree with all the posts here though. A set of these drums is certainly a 'Audrey Hepburn in front of Tiffany's' moment'. The slender figure of beauty dressed to the nines that most of us think we may wish to hold. With that, you really do not know the personality that goes with it, but it sure looks good. With regard to playability, I agree that playability is in the hand of the player. Or as the Britts say, 'One man’s cup of tea is another man’s poison'.
Alexander knows how to treat this elegant wood (curl koa), and dress it to the nines. The hand polished stainless steel is flawless, the body is coated in layers of lacquer, the inside is finished and lacquered, the glue lines are perfect, the side plates hit the exact center of each stave they are placed on (only seen in Ritmo, Fats, maybe skin on skin and a few others - the sign of perfection), six tuning rods on all drums and the finish work on the bottom with the stainless steel ring holding a rubber bumper to the drum. Regardless of anything, one can only admire such material and work; and yes, one will have to pay for it. My admission her is that I do not play these drums often. I picked them up from a guy who never played them either, and I got a deal on them - still not cheap though.
If a set of these will give you pleasure, by all means pick them up, and do not think twice about what others say. We will just stick with what the Britts say, and leave it at that.
Let me know what you may be selling to finance these.
Curl Koa in pic – 4 in 2nd and 3rd row from the left.
All the best.

PS: Be sure to request moderate-thick skins, well, my preference on these anyway.
Attachments
congas 013.JPG
curl koa 2nd and 3rd from the left
congalero

Postby congamyk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:21 am

congalero...

WHAT A COLLECTION!
(which set is your favorite???)
congamyk

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 am

congamyk wrote:congalero...

WHAT A COLLECTION!
(which set is your favorite???)

I would say that is probably not even a quarter of Congalero's collection!
bongosnotbombs

Postby congamyk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Looks like a museum to me :D

BnB have you played all of those?
Which is your favorite?
congamyk

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 pm

congamyk wrote:Looks like a museum to me :D

BnB have you played all of those?
Which is your favorite?

It IS a museum! and I WISH I had played them all.
Congalero is kind of a legend around here in SF.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing a part of his collection when
I bought a drum from him a while back.

I'm pretty sure he has a complete set of just about everything.
You search his posts, you'll see some drums!
Attachments
post-14-86176-partial_valje_collection.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby pcastag » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 am

I'm really wondering what those protorype gon bops sound like, fatter body, smaller bottom, probably have a nice bass tone to them.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby congalero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 am

I'm really wondering what those prototype gon bops sound like, fatter body, smaller bottom, probably have a nice bass tone to them.

Someone has a very good eye, and yes, they have a very deep voice. They say gon bop, but are not even close to gon bop at all. Akbar made 16 of these. They are scored on the inside like Valje, which he learned from Tom Flores. His Sol's are the same. The hardware is also different. There are 6 out there somewhere that I do not know the location of, but I do know where 10 are; not all with me. That would be greedy.
Attachments
CONGAS_115[1].jpg
CONGAS_115[1].jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
congalero

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 am

The GB I have is also scored on the inside, like my Valje and Resolutions. I got it about 6 months ago.
Attachments
DSCF1495.JPG
DSCF1498.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby congalero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:09 am

Then it is a prototype, and now I know where 11 are. :) What size is it? I am going to guess 10 or 11: looks like a 10 by the shape.
congalero

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:12 am

congalero wrote:Then it is a prototype, and now I know where 11 are. :) What size is it? I am going to guess 10 or 11: looks like a 10 by the shape.

This drum is a 9.75", I think Akbar might be making them this way now. I ordered this drum 6 months ago along with a friend who also got one the same size. They both had the scores on the inside and came with plastic heads.
bongosnotbombs

Postby congalero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 am

Interesting!!! I guess they added the scoring back in. The shape is a bit more slender, the side plates have something on them, the scoring does not have the trade-mark Tom Flores glue slathered on and the ears for the crown do not have the extra loop at the end. Steve in Florida has a set on eBay at $1,400. Cannot see the inside, so not sure if they have the scoring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-Gon-Bops-Califor ... 414cf22bb1

You will have to come by G, and we can size them up.
congalero

Postby congalero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:31 am

We better take this one away from Volcano post; getting a bit distracted here. Sorry!!
congalero

Postby Seneferu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 pm

I read somewhere, the best drum is the one you vibe with. I heard volcanoes being played on you tube by two different drummers and they sounded different. I prefer my lone maple Fat Conga drum. That's what vibes with me. Throw in the cj13 tumba cajon and conga cajon, and I'm good to go. Peace out & musically yours, Seneferu :oops:
Seneferu

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories