Free Stands

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Free Stands

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Don't need these stands any more and am interested in giving them away for free to anybody who lives near Philly and wants to do a pick up. They're the top portion of the LP Super stands, and I use them as "sit down" stands. I think the lower portion shafts are tucked away in the attic somewhere, and if I find them I'll throw them in, too. Any interest, PM me, please.[/attachment]
LP stands.jpg
Attachments
three stands.jpg
CongaTick

Re: Free Stands

Postby congamyk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

wow very generous!
I've owned those stands before - they are very good.
congamyk

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Yep, They're built like tanks, and are especially well-suited for sit-down playing. They do weigh, though, and am tired of shlepping them on gugs, so I set my drums on reso-boards of my own design that also allow me to mic from below leaving my heads clear.
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah those "gugs" are a killer. :D
CongaTick

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 pm

CongaTick wrote: I set my drums on reso-boards of my own design that also allow me to mic from below leaving my heads clear.

Interesting, could you post a photo, please?

Of course you need a clear head during a gig :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 pm

plate 1.JPG
The basic plate with a PVC cap attached to hold....
plate 2.JPG
,,,a PVC pipe cut to accept...

The ropes are just easy ways to move the plates and congas around to adjust their placement.
Attachments
plate 3.JPG
...the mic, one of a Samson 3 pack.
plate 4.JPG
With my quinto in place. All three of my drums have similar plates. Mics are fed to a TAPCO 120 mixer for a 1/4" out to PA
CongaTick

Postby onile » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:14 am

Alafia Congatick!
I hope that you are well my brother!

Wow! Now that if pretty ingenious! I've contemplated drilling a hole in my Patatos and placing mics on the inside in order to free up more of the playing surface, but didn't want to compromise the integrity of the shell. This however is a great idea, but what about the sound? Is it 'cavernous' (like playing in a cave)? It's just that on the surface, the sound is able to escape and mix with the ambient noise/sound, but with the shell trapping it, I would imagine that you'd have a bit of a problem......no?

Either way, I totally like your idea and give kudos to you for thinking outside, or in this case inside the proverbial box (cylinder).

Suave!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 am

CongaTick wrote:
plate 1.JPG

Hey, Congatick, congrats, you are a genius, and
like Galou with his overtone control system,
you should ponder patenting your invention!
The only thing I am wondering about is if the
mike is shock resistant enough, i mean if you do not
enhance the fottsteps and other noise on stage?
Perhaps the "cavernous nature" of your construction
prevents this.
Thanks for sharing your pics anyway!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I suppose audiophiles could be picky about the "cavernosity" of the sound, however within the overall live music mix at a "gug" it ain't noticeable, nor bothersome at all. Shielding-wise I originally considered putting a foam donut around the neck of the mics, but didn't find it necessary. Will the mic pick it up if you clunk your size 10's into the rezo-plate while playing? Yep, but no more than it would if you tapped on an overhead mic boom. Answer? Don't do that! BTW, I do use a foam "collar" on an SM-57 (which is a thinner mic) for the rezo/mic plate I have for my big Remo djembe. Patent? Nah...This is just necessity-is-the muthah stuff and have no intention of complicating my life with lawyer shit. It's a small idea/contribution to make things a lil easier for all of us. If you can use the idea then go for it. PM me if you need more details.
CongaTick

Postby biggator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm not local... but I'd trade an LP padded conga bag for those stands. I have a spare that came with mine - but only rubber feet (no real 'stands').
biggator

Postby pavloconga » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 am

Nice work Congatick!
Well thought out and sure gets those pesky mics out of the way :D
Submitted for patent yet?
cheers
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby CongaTick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Thank you Pavlo. I continue to tweak for comfort/ease/economy. Am currently looking to create simplified/"cleaner" system to eliminate mic cable "snake pit" that arises from 5 mics going into a mixer. With limited staging space regardless of where we're booked it becomes a dance of death to move into and out of my lair behind my tubs.
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories