Cosmic Percusion question

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Cosmic Percusion question

Postby apollo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 am

I just picked up a set of older CP congas with the traditional rims, one 10" and one 11" in mint conditon but I just noticed thier as tall as my Gio's, 30" tall! I thought CP's only came 28" tall. Is this a common size for CP's?
Your thoughts.
Thanks,
Apollo
apollo

Re: Cosmic Percusion question

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 am

You picked up the higher quality CP congas. Are they made by LP and do they have the triangle shaped plates for the tuning lugs?

LP made the CP congas like this until it affected their sales of their other "higher" end congas because they were so identical in many ways (quality) except for the price. :? (I own a pair of these and I would put them in a close second category as the Matador congas of the same period.) :D

If these are not made by LP they are even higher quality (this is pre LP). I own what I believe is an off-shoot brand of CP from the 80's (SP - Space Percussion) :D and these have long been my primary set of congas for many years. Unfortunately, these fine "other" brands keep getting bought out by LP and their quality is degraded over time. :evil: This has happened to several other brands.

Technically speaking you now own a vintage set of congas.

See this interesting ranking list from Tony the "Conga Dr".

http://congadr.blogspot.com/search?q=best+conga+ranking
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 am

I own a classic set from 1992 which I refinished, these are 100% better that what is currently being offered by LP.
Check out the link.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5105
KING CONGA

Postby apollo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks JB, Tony's adventures ranking of CP's weren't to bad! Here's the kicker, their not that old! I looked inside and found 1998. I thought by then they only made the cheap ones with the cheap black hardware. The side plates are thicker than Matador plates and the shell are thick and very very heavy and at 30" tall I think I can use the 10" as a requinto.

KC How tall are your CP's? You did a killer job on them!
Thank you guys for your info on the CP's,

Apollo
DSCF0310.JPG
1998 Cosmic Percussion's
Attachments
DSCF0311.JPG
same drums again
apollo

Postby Madlatin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 am

Hey Apollo,

The drums look great! I have the same drums. One set from 1993 and another from 1996. I don't know about yours but, the 10" drums sound like a toy. I replaced the head with steer and it really changed the sound. All in all, with heavy hardware and oak, they are great drums and most new store bought drums can't compare to them.

Congrats, Madlatin
"Some things become more valuable when they are shared"
Madlatin

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Madlatin wrote:I don't know about yours but, the 10" drums sound like a toy. I replaced the head with steer and it really changed the sound.

Greetings Madlatin. Wow, I’m really surprised that you had to change the head, maybe they used a different skin when yours were made. Both of mine are from 1992 and still have the original skins, which by the way and in all honesty, sound very good.

Apollo those drums look immaculate, just like new. My drums both measure 30" in height as well.
KING CONGA

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Madlatin wrote: I don't know about yours but, the 10" drums sound like a toy. I replaced the head with steer and it really changed the sound.

I also have one of those 10" CPs, unfortunately only 28" high, and I had to spice up the hardware myself,
but it was definitely worth the effort and with an L&H mule skin I have on it for some while now it sound like a full-grown conga. :D
Apollo, the CP congas in the photo look spectacular, great find, congrats!
The 10+11" combination is just a little odd IMO, but that is the size the CP models usually are all made like.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby apollo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Hey thanks Madlatin, honestly the 10" sounds pretty sweet but I know what you mean. I have an 11” geo that sounded like that until I cowed it up.
Thanks Mike, you muled a CP! It must sound amazing, that’s very cool! Yah a 10 and an 11 is kind of small for my hands but their still a great addition to my collection.
Thanks KC, so 30" is a common size, I have only seen CP's in the 28's.
PS thanks for all the feed back on such a modest drum, I thought these threads manly focused on the top notch drums which I like too but it sure is nice when you can get great sound out of a drum that cost just a fraction of the rest.
Apollo
apollo

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:18 am

apollo wrote: thanks for all the feed back on such a modest drum, I thought these threads manly focused on the top notch drums which I like too but it sure is nice when you can get great sound out of a drum that cost just a fraction of the rest.
Apollo
The old-skool CPs are well-built and can stand the test I would say.
You see, there is a lot of hype out there about the stradivarius type of congas...
It´s all in your hands - and the skin also.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Mike, I believe you are dead-on right.
CongaTick

Postby Madlatin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:29 am

Hello King Conga,

I actually have a 10" & 11" from 1993.... Then a 10",11", and 11.75" from 1996. The 10 and 11" from 1996 had cheaper heads that sounded terrible. The set from 1993 has original heads and sound good. I could feel the difference in quality very clearly. As far as the old CP's comparing to the older Matadors, you are right. My tumba is a converted Matador also from 1996. They match up nice.

Madlatin
Attachments
Prayer Group-KalungaWedding-CPs 152.jpg
1993 and 1996 CP's + 12.5 Matador
Madlatin

Postby apollo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Wow Madlatin, Nice collection, are the 11 3/4 common? Now I want one! This is my first time ever owning CP's and once again I can't get over the quality.I can't speak for everyone they actually sound pretty warm. I think the 10" makes a nice requinto. Sure sounds way better than the Gon Bops Alex Acuna 9 3/4 requinto that I paid over $400 for. I have heard in the past that CP's were just an older Aspire but I have to say that's just not true, the lugs are thicker, they have super nuts and the overall construction seem to be a better quality. Madlatin just think how your collection would sound and look if you replaced all the heads with some dark steer or mule!
Apollo
apollo

Postby Madlatin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:46 am

Apollo,
LP bought out CP and eventually thinned down the quality. The new CP's are not even close to the same as the early models. You can find more info on this forum if you want to find out about them for sure. As far as the 11.75 drum, I haven't seen any others. I always see the 10 and 11 selling together. I didn't think that there was a 12.5 out there until I saw an ad for one ($100), I missed out on that one. Yes, I would like to have all of the drums with steer. In time I guess. Enjoy your new drums.

Madlatin
Madlatin

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 am

I would strongly recommend considering the REMO heads for these congas. I have an old set of "SP" congas (an offshoot of the original CP line pre LP) the CP "Matador" line that have Mondo heads since 1994 that still sound great. There are so many advantages to these REMO heads and they are a perfect fit for standardized shells like these. Replace the heads once and you might never need to ever replace them again.

I have all types of heads on my drums and I might take some heat for this OPINION but you can not go wrong with the proper REMO head here.

Keep it fun.

Jerry
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Jerry Bembe wrote:I would strongly recommend considering the REMO heads for these congas. There are so many advantages to these REMO heads and they are a perfect fit for standardized shells like these. Replace the heads once and you might never need to ever replace them again.

Greetings Jerry, hope you are doing well. I agree with you to a certain extent. I believe that there are two main reasons for this, first there is that traditional old school look and feel that many of us prefer, second, the fact that the tone is different in both. IMHO, I believe that natural skins give a much warmer and dryer old school tone than synthetic heads, don't get me wrong I have eight congas with synthetic heads and really did like them especially the fact that they have much better projection and there isn’t that constant need of having to tune and de tune, however I still prefer natural skins and don’t mind one bit about having to tune and detune.

"Keeping it fun" :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories