Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:01 pm

These Gob Bops are actually improved over previous Mariano Models. Marianos were usually soft mahogany wood w/ black hard wares. The are basic Gon Bops but w/ improved side plate lugs ( copied from lp & other Asian lugs but are better than riveted lugs ! This wood is a good alternative to mahogany or similar soft Asian woods, The HEADS are claiming to be Latin American cow hides !!!! THATS GREAT ! Its been decades that I have been advocating cow hides from affordable sources of cow hide heads. I would love these drums ! The classic Gon Bops traditional sound can be expected & if you need more attack & volume....USE a Dammed Microphone or Plastic heads ( which will sound like plastic of course but u can mute the ringy over tones w/ materials added to the underside of the head ( rubber cement works well or thin rubber weather stripping tape made into rings & applied like tone control rings seen on bass drum heads or sound control dots seen on tom tom heads. The price stated is competitive to Asian made generic congas. Brands don't matter in Asian made drums since they all use the same materials & similar construction. I find that the top end Lp's are over built heavy shells that smother lots of tone and can sound less musical than a cheaper drum any way. Basic Gon Bops are better now than before and the high end Gon Bops are in the range of custom made high end drums & price range...more like luxury items & mid life crisis bling items. Close your eyes & open your ears ! Can you judge a great drum by its sound ! ? The nice thing about these non chromed steel is that they can be repaired easily if ever needing welding since you do not have to re chrome. These hard wares can be powder coated or painted or sand blasted to the raw metal & re surfaced by many metal finishing methods. I do not see a thick poly coating so it will probably be easier to touch up scratches or re stain. I hate Asian drums w/ that difficult coating. I would imagine these drums are light and easy to carry and that also helps to add resonance that you can not expect from heavy dense wood shells or glass shells. These drums represent a happy medium and long over due Gon Bops of acceptable design correction & decent heads ! Viva Gon Bops ~ well done ! Ernesto Pediangco 2/24/2011
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby DanBops » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 pm

I hear you, Ernesto.

At least they somehow have the vibe of the old GB.

Strange "new" sort of wood used for those though... never heard of that. But sounds interesting. Maybe great, let's wait & see...

They should simply bring back the old "international" series with the soft "phillipine mahogany" shells, good heads and the sexy (although just decorative) chrome bands... :P

That's what the dark, warm Gon Bops sound (and look!) was all about!

No overlackered, hard, heavy oak shells with synth heads for me, thanks.

I know, the old GB offered those (very nice) oak shells, etc. as well. No problem with that per se. But GB's name & reputation came (IMHO) from those "international" series thingies: dark, warm, woody sounds, with that traditional cuban look (the bands, ladies & gentlemen, the bands! 8)

Bring back the INT. SERIES!

:D
DanBops

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree the International series with the Fiberglass outer coating was the best ever by Gon Bops. The Mahogony and Oak sound amazing and they survive better than anyothe Gon Bops model.

The International series was the first comfort curve conga that was later taken up by others.

Gon Bops would have been #1 if they had better marketing.
Jerry Bembe

Postby s'chopp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:33 pm

I must say I prefer the black bands to the chrome for that old barell look. Didn't Ecotone produce the first comfort curve crowns or was it Gon Bops? #

A better quality recording of these drums is needed.
s'chopp

Postby mrhands » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm

I've honestly been looking at pictures of these drums at least 3 times a day! I absolutely love the way they look. If they sound as good as they look, and are durable enough considering what leedy2 has said about Gon Bops products in north eastern climate, I would love to get these!
mrhands

Postby mrhands » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 am

I found a better video of how they sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHZdI4m7Kg
mrhands

Postby Anonimo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Attachments
gon bops.jpg
Anonimo

Postby s'chopp » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Good find Mr Hands! :P They sound dreamy- much fuller than the other gon bops next to them (calif series?). If they are the californias the bearing edge looks really sharp.

Leedy- thanks for the info, what is the source of the image in your post?
s'chopp

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm

I know nothing about Echotone and their rounded comfort rim. Thanks for the correction, I knew that Gon Bops was doing this with Congas before LP.

Gon Bops has a rounded wedge shaped bearing edge on some of their drums. The bearing edge does vary with Gon Bops, even with the same model.

Matthew Smith uses a wedge shaped bearing edge too.

A bearing edge needs to be even, round and wedge work just fine. The even quality is critical. I have taken a file to even out a bearing edge on many congas with excellent results.

A wedge bearing edge only is a problem if they are being beat on. Mics and amplification work better.

Potential drawbacks to a wedge shaped bearing edge include: a weaker stress point for cracking and if too sharp this can shorten skin life and be harder on the hands.

If the bearing edge is sufficiently a rounded wedge shape and thick then these drawdacks should not be an issue. It is easier to make an even wedge bearing edge than an even rounded edge.
Jerry Bembe

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Here are the first curved rim congas made by Frank Mesa back in the early 60's in New York City...
GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
this was me and my set back in 1966-67 ...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby goingquinto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 pm

That pic of the gon bops that appears to have a crack doesen't look like the new ones to me. The label on the new ones looks like it has a curved corner with the screws pulled in just a hair from the edge, and the one in the pic is square with the screws right on the corner. The rivets or whatever on the bands also seem lighter in color than on the new ones, but it could be lighting. Also the wood is much darker on the pic Leedy put up, but that could also just be lighting I guess. Where did you get that pic, Leedy?
Attachments
new marianos.jpg
only pic I can find of new marianos
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Maybe the heads are different too? Looks like Leedy's pic has the old bleached heads, the new ones don't look bleached. But also, like I said, this is the only pic I can find, so I can't be sure. Also the rim, I missed that the first time. Totally different rim. And the bands in the new ones look like screws holding in place where the old ones were tacks and in a slightly different position
goingquinto

Postby s'chopp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

hmmm..

s'chopp

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm

The pic is from the Gon Bops website.

You have a sharp eye Goingquinto.

I personally find the tacks in the bands to be cheezy so I am replacing them with small screws.

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories