Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Gon Bops Mariano Series Congas

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I just jumped off the fence! Amazon prices right now are just something I could not pass up. 1-Quinto, 2-Congas, 1-tumba. They are offering a 10% promotion discount, a 10% super saver discount, plus no shipping fees (1 week wait), sure there was tax. Anyway for just under $1K total, I now have some nice congas that will help me to the next several levels.

thanks Mydogsowner for letting me know of this deal---and there are several other members of this forum who I am not sure I ought to mention by name because I do not know their affiliations with other manufactures--but you were most helpful.

peace and rhythm, marcus 8) 8)
Marcus

Postby mydogsowner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:55 am

Marcus, you sound as excited as I am to get them. What a smokin' deal. I actually toyed with the idea of getting the conga and tumba too, but found it hard to justify the expense right now. I hope I'm not kicking myself later for not doing it.

My Quinto should be here by Nov 5th. That's fast. :D

Lisa
mydogsowner

Postby Anonimo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:55 am

Attachments
new gonbops.jpg
new gonbops.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
Anonimo

Postby goingquinto » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 am

I am looking forward to hearing your impression of the sound. Please post as soon as you get them and play them a bit. I am curious also if the 2 ply staves will help the cracking issue. Since this newer drum is not made of the same "mahogany", and it's 2 ply instead of solid stave, It may not ever have cracks. As I have said, the cracks on the old Gon Bops dont really bother me too bad, I care more about the sound anyway.
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

Leedy, are those the newest version of the Gon Bops, the ones made of 2 ply staves? They look like the older ones.
goingquinto

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 am

Anonimo

Postby mydogsowner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

The sound out of the box is very good.

The drum is beautiful to me as well and seems well constructed.

I have hydrometers throughout my house and add humidity back through my heating system. Hopefully it will keep any separation at bay. My guitars have been OK.
mydogsowner

Postby Marcus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Leedy,

I downloaded the pic for better resolution and I can not see the crack you are speaking of. Also I do not know what you mean by a controlled environment. I guess you can take any wood musical instrument and freeze and bake and humidify and dry and eventually something is going to happen to the wood and the seams. Fine guitar makers are very concerned with the environment and how the guitar is stored. Some stores even humidify the floor to ensure a quality guitar sits properly.

I am also unsure of the comparison. The vintage gon bops mariano congas hand made in USA using a solid wood stave with surely inferior glue—to a 2 ply stave conga using the same glue used in all Thai drums. I have read that nearly all Thai congas made in the same 3-4 factories by the same people under batch contracts? Also cranking up the tension on a conga to over tune it will surely and eventually stress the hardware. That is why I understand from this forum many people detune their congas after playing depending upon the thickness and consistency of the skin.

Not sure what your intent is here. You are correct that one does get what they pay for—but then again I did not purchase a Matthew Smith conga.

…Marcus
Marcus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Congrats on the new drum, a steal at the Amazon price.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Anonimo

Postby akbarm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Hello,

I had to weigh in and clear up a few things for all readers in this blog that Mr. Leedy does not work for Gon Bops and his claim of testing and reporting to the Sabian office is false information.

Also what he claims on his picture post about the two congas being from new production is not true, and he does not know the difference between the two GB series congas.

Here is what he says:

(They are both new drums the one on the right is the new Mariano model the other is a new model that is under the tumbao brand)

For your information, the drum on the right is an older model Gon Bops because we do not use rivets to hold the bands together (see drum on the right) and our new metal bands are made out of one solid piece with no rivets.

GB's new Mariano series is made in a state of the art manufacturing company and I salute their work as an old conga craftsman whom made Valje, Sol and Gon Bops, and have repaired endless different makes and models of congas that you can imagine. I can assure you of the quality of new Gon Bops products.

I don not know Mr. Leedy's intention for bashing Gon Bops and he is free to say what he wants, but it is up to you to verify his claims.

Please do not take my word about Gon Bops products. You should just see and play them yourself.

Best,
AK
akbarm

Postby akbarm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Hello,
Here is another proof of MR. Leedy's false information.
He climes new Marino drums are cracking according to his test and he even posted a picture of them but here is a Gon Bops add for sale in craigslist with the same picture which Mr leedys posted as a new Marino Congas.

Please See it for yourself in crigslist.com.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ms ... 27573.html
Thanks, AK
akbarm

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Forum Members,

Leedy2, it appears that you are not a truthful man and that your deception on this conga forum has been proven. I do not know what you think you are gaining however you are not nurturing the next generation of conga players with your expertise and wisdom. You have lost sight of your original passion in Latin music and that is very sorrowful. What you can give back—you have decided to just take. I know people like you and you have indeed lost your way.

….marcus
Marcus

Postby mrhands » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm

this got weird. :|
mrhands

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories