Ebay find..

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Ebay find..

Postby Tumbas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITO-PUENTE-HIS ... 35ba4feb1d

Does anyone know the story behind this?

Who made this drum?
Tumbas

Re: Ebay find..

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Im sorry but I don't believe it.
That does not look like a drum that Tito would own, especially considering the top notch connections which he had.
Sad that someone would call this a "Bongo drum", just shows the ignorance, plus, how in the heck can this person claim that this drum sounds good with one missing lug?
This person obviously does not know "Conga drums" nor anything about their true melodic sound.
my 2 centavos.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby pavloconga » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Can't imagine Tito playing this 'bongo drum'.
I'm always suspicious when people write in ALL CAPS and make lots of spelling and grammatical errors!
On the plus side, his ebay rating and feedback seems good.
pavloconga

Postby Derbeno » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Do your home work but be careful

I have stopped buying from ebay for years due to the half truths or out-and-out scammers out there. Not to mention the ridiculous shipping charges.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 am

:arrow:
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby b0ng0 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 am

I don't think its a scam, more like someone who knows nothing about percussion trying to sell a conga, obviously this person is trying to make a quick buck due to the fact that he's has a notarized document, maybe it did belong to tito puente, that's the only reason he's trying to sell it at a high price... its kind of like the people who are trying to sell rocks, annointing oil, water,etc..from the Holy Land (Israel) for high prices...
b0ng0

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

It looks like a Vergara that Mongo had painted red for Chango'.
Omelenko1

Postby jorge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Did Vergara use wide staves like you can see in the bottom view?
How the seller knows that the drum "sounds great" when he doesn't know the difference between a conga and a bongo and there is a lug missing is hard to understand. Credibility takes another big hit with the seller's claim that Joe Franklin interviewed "...hundreds of thousands of celebritys (sic)..." on his radio show. That works out to more than 80 interviews a week, every week, for 50 years. Oprah would be jealous.
It does look like a nice drum though, especially in red.
jorge

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Why would Tito give away such an effed upped conga as memorabilia to this interviewer? A conga missing a lug and having all these scratches, especially when Tito is known for playing timbales? This damage happened in his "archived collection".

I smell a fish.
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:17 pm

If this drums is a Vergara..Where are the metal bands?
I wonder if the outer-shell was fiberglassed or something...

<<It looks like a Vergara that Mongo had painted red for Chango'.>>

TP could have done it too since I understand he was a member and practioner....
RitmoBoricua

Postby willie55 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:30 pm

i checked his other listing and he has Marylin Monroes sunglasses, and a Jimmy Durante hat for sale, with sign and notrized paper work, one from 2002 the other 2006, so this guy had the forsight to document all of his collectables..i also checked ebay for a autograph photo of Joe Franklin and they got one. the signature doesn't seem to match the paperwork ones..buyer beware
willie55

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Mongo always had a red Vergara that didn't have outer bands (were removed), when I asked him he said "that one is for Chango' ".
Mongo sort of introduced Tito to santeria early on in the 50's. Back then you could get Vergaras through a bakery in Spanish Harlem for $52 per drum. I'll have to see a real document for this one bearing Tito's signature. Me huele a quemao'.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Too late, just sold $850.00 :?
KING CONGA

Postby congabluedog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

I bought the drum and it is the real deal. I spoke directly with Joe Franklin yesterday after a day and 1/2 of trying to investigate this drum as quickly as I could. He verified that this was indeed Tito's drum. Tito was a friend of his and was on his show many times. I also inquired with Cuco about the drum and he was positive that this was Mongo's Vergara. He said the whole story is written about in a book by Joe Conzos. Apparently this drum was taken from Mongo as a joke and given to Joe Franklin. When Tito told Mongo who had his drum, Mongo decided to let Joe Franklin keep it. I ordered the book and will read it for myself as soon as it comes in. I am really excited about the drum...I have wanted a Vergara conga for a long time....and now I have one with an amazing history. I will post pics if you guys are interested.
congabluedog

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Wow! Well I stand corrected and must congratulate you for having acquired such a special piece.
When you get tour drum please post some close up pictures of it, I’m sure we would all appreciate it.
Congratulations once again.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories