beginner: one conga or two

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

beginner: one conga or two

Postby jp-90 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey there, I'm an avid kit drummer who, after becoming pretty obsessed with Henry Gibson's playing on the Phillip Cohran records, would like to take up the congas.

I know a conga set can be as big or small as anyone likes, but what is best for a beginner? As a serious musician, I usually like to avoid complete beginner-grade drums. Perhaps I'm spoiled. Would y'all recommend starting with one nice conga instead of two beginner drums? It seems that in the used market I can get a matador, or perhaps even a classic for the price of two LP aspires. My inclination is to start with one nicer drum, but will this slow my learning?

THANKS.
jp-90

Re: beginner: one conga or two

Postby Derbeno » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm

One good 11.75'' Conga will be absolutely perfect to start and also to carry on in future.

Once you start playing in bands you can add a Tumba, in a folkloric ensemble situation you just need the one.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 pm

one drum is fine to start, it's how I started off. A Matador or an LP classic is fine.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Welcome!

I think most forum members would agree with you not getting a cheap beginner drum to start. If cost is an issue, you're better off getting a used Matador or LP Classic than spending a similar amount of money on an Aspire set or other beginner drum. Getting the right technique is initially very important and proper sound feedback from the drum helps a lot.

the 11.75" (or there about) "Conga" is by far the best starter size. In addition to the head diameter, I'd recommend getting a 30" tall drum as well. By default, this will keep you away from many of the beginner models that tend to be 28" tall. their head diameters tend to be smaller, more towards a quinto. In a set of 3 "congas", quinto = smallest 10-11", conga = middle 11-12", tumba = the larger of the 3, 12-13". sizes vary, these are very general approximations.

Drum On! I started on kit as a kid and found the Congas (in a serious manner) about 7 years ago. Lots to learn, lots of fun!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Get an 11 3/4" conga to start with. Don't buy cheap (Ardiente, Aspire, Caliente, Primero......) You can get a used LP classic from Ebay and after you get the proper "tumbao" (marcha) then try to get a matching tumbadora. If price is an issue, the way to go is "used with quality" better than "new cheaper models".

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby pcastag » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:Get an 11 3/4" conga to start with. Don't buy cheap (Ardiente, Aspire, Caliente, Primero......) You can get a used LP classic from Ebay and after you get the proper "tumbao" (marcha) then try to get a matching tumbadora. If price is an issue, the way to go is "used with quality" better than "new cheaper models".

Dario

Agree 100%, a used matador would be fine as well.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I agree with all the above posts. In particular, as a kit drummer, your major challenge will be hand technique and sound, not timing. Spend quality time with one good conga and really learn to get the clearest tones, driest slaps, and cleanest bass sounds with minimal extraneous overtones or other sounds. Learn to project your sound without hitting the drum too hard. A good teacher can help you learn these techniques that are hard to describe in writing. Good hand technique will save your hands and help prevent any hand injuries that could cause problems with stick playing. Once you feel moderately confident about your playing technique, you can start playing out with other musicians and think about getting a second drum to complement your main conga.
jorge

Postby jp-90 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice, y'all. I expected you'd recommend one nice conga over two beginner congas. As someone who has bought a lot of gear over the years, I've come to realize that the nicer stuff not only allows you to learn faster in many cases, but is ultimately LESS of a financial risk since real instruments tend to hold their value, if not go up.

Well, I'm looking for a conga (11.75"), but I have seen some decent looking Tumbas at good prices as well. While not as universally useful as the middle pitched drum, is there any reason why I should avoid learning technique and patterns on the larger drum?

THANKS.
jp-90

Postby pcastag » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 am

Because of the size of the head it is more dificult to get a good slap, arguably the most difficult sound to master. An 11.75 will allow ample hand space for tumbao y lo mano secreto and a comfortable position for a slap.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby jp-90 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, I bought my first conga. It probably wasn't the best size for me to start with but I went for it anyway. It's an old (seller claims late 60's) Palisades Park fiberglass drum, gold sparkle. The seller claimed it was a 12.5" tumba, but that it was capable of cutting through well if tuned up. In measuring it myself, it seems to be 12.5" if measured from the outer most shoulder of the bearing edge, near the hoop, but only 11.75 if measured near the playable area of the bearing edge. So, what official size is this drum?
jp-90

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 pm

You did well. Typically the 11 3/4" size is called the Conga. The measurement of the head size is the playable area not the crown or rim size. The difference between playable area and crown/rim size varies a great deal between conga drums. Many sellers that are not familiar with this can misrepresent this information (like on eBay).

Drums associated with drumset are meaured by the rim size and there is litte difference between the rim size and the playable area here.

Enjoy your drum. May it give you a beginning of a lifetime of enjoyment with Latin instrumentation.

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Gold Sparkle - Awesome!

Post a pic. I concur with Jerry, nice find and the right size. 8)

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby jp-90 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:23 am

Here's the new conga. It came with what I believe is a good head (from JCR). I took the head off to clean the bearing edge and tune it up from scratch, and I noticed an odd thing with the bearing edge. It seems to be off centered, for lack of a better term. I believe it is in round--from edge to edge (where the bearing breaks from contact with the head) it measures 11" all the way around. However, one side of the bearing edge is clearly thicker than the other (i've tried to show this in the pics below). So, the hole that the head spans is uniform and in round, but the bearing edge in contact with the head is not uniform. Now, I'm a complete beginner, so for now this is the least of my problems, but I'm wondering if y'all think this will affect the drum's playability? Will I be able to tune it correctly? If not, should I try to reshape the bearing edge sometime down the line? THANKS for the input.

this shows the thin area of the bearing edge

and this shows the thicker side
jp-90

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am

Hi jp90,

With a conga drum, things like that are not a big deal - as opposed to a snare drum for example. Compared to a snare drum, a conga drum is a relatively crude and primitive instrument, without any negative connotation; because therein lies its beauty. Just see at the thick hides. If it disturbs you, you may even it out manually with a file, but it is not necessary and you run the danger of causing a real damage to your drum instead. You can have a precision-constructed conga drum where everything is smooth and even in- and outside, and it may sound dumb, whereas a drum with the staves sticking out and splitting apart, dents on the upper edge, and an egg-shaped skin surface, sounds and plays perfect.

I am a kit drummer for more than 40 years and a conga drummer for 30 years.

Good luck!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Start playing, stop worrying.
bongosnotbombs

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories