refurbishing old mahogany congas from the 70's

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: refurbishing old mahogany congas from the 70's

Postby Mike » Sat May 04, 2013 5:38 pm

joaozinho wrote:Epoxy resin!

That is the essence of fiberglassing :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat May 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Try metal plates first, perhaps with a piece of rubber or neoprene between the metal and the wood.

Use fiberglass as a last resort, once you put it on it's never coming off again, and it's going to turn this conga into a completely different sort of drum.
bongosnotbombs

Postby salzfaas » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone for quick replies.I Think I will try large metal plates to start with to spread the load and if that fails it will have to be the Glass.I know with the glass it will never be the same again! Will keep you posted when I get the plates made up and gaskits.would tyre be good or maybe something thinner.
salzfaas

Postby joaozinho » Sat May 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Mike wrote:
joaozinho wrote:Epoxy resin!

That is the essence of fiberglassing :wink:

Well Mike,there is substancial difference between polyester resin and epoxy resin,that's why I prefer epoxy,(juste my opinion) :wink:

Differences Between Polyester Resin and Epoxy Resin

Polyester Resin Epoxy Resin
Polyester resins contain an ester functional group that undergoes reaction with an acid to form the condensation product known as polyester resin. Epoxy resin is actually a copolymer, wherein two substances form the thermoset compound. These two compounds are the resin (epoxide) and the hardener (polyamine)
Polyester resin is a stable compound when examined in terms electrical, chemical and mechanical properties. This is the reason why it's used for making fabric, plastic PET bottles, waterproof covers, etc. The mechanical, electrical and thermal properties of epoxy raisin is much higher and it's also resistant to acidic liquids. It's for this reason that it is used for making durable covers of machines and high impact concrete covers.
The curing time of polyester resin is much lower than that of epoxy resins. Polyester is also weaker than epoxy resins as it lacks proper binding capacity. The curing time of epoxy resin is much higher than polyester resins and it has a greater binding property. This makes epoxy resin much stronger than polyester resin.
Polyester resin finds application in processes like seaming, repairing, laminating etc. They are much less durable than epoxy resins Epoxy resin is a highly durable compound that finds wide application in a plenty of purpose, especially in the marine industry. When added to aerospace materials, carbon compounds and glass materials, it strengthens their property.
Polyester has a much lower shelf life and curing time than that of epoxy resins. The shelf life ranges between 18-24 months while the curing time is between 6-8 hours. The shelf life for polyester resin is quite long that extends to 2 years. The curing time is also considerably time taking that ranges from 5 to 7 hours.
The adhesive power (100 p.s.i.), or the bonding capacity of polyester resin is very poor while it has the highest water absorption capacity. It gets bonded only with fiberglass. Epoxy resin has a high bonding capacity 2,000 p.s.i. adhesion strength and it can adhere to even pre-cured and dissimilar matter while cured epoxy resin has a poor water retention capacity.
joaozinho

Postby Mike » Sat May 04, 2013 9:45 pm

OK, well, at least this is the material I have successfully used:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby joaozinho » Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 am

This is good stuff,epoxy is so much easier to use then poly,super strong and durable.Nice choiche :!:
joaozinho

Postby Mike » Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 pm

joaozinho wrote:This is good stuff,epoxy is so much easier to use then poly,super strong and durable.Nice choiche :!:

What is good for boats and ships should be fine for congas too...
Yes, the WEST stuff is really awesome.
Hence "canoe wood" can get a totally new meaning :lol: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby congalou » Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 am

Hi !

I'm agree, epoxy is really better compared to polyester. Personnaly, I use Sicomin 5550 used for skateboarding, surf, etc... super glue effect with the wood.

But you need to be more precise with the hardener.

G.
congalou

Postby vinnieL » Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 pm

whew looks like a lot of work but they are beautiful!
vinnieL

Postby salzfaas » Tue May 07, 2013 7:37 pm

got the plates made up today put one on where you can see the split in the photo and it did not seperate so I think the problem is solved. the plates are 12cm square and stretch over the adjacent staves.Thursday I am going to put a real skin on and see what she really sounds like.
by the way I am not quite sure the point of the neoprene gaskets.Is it to spread the load more evenly ,or just to protect the wood?
salzfaas

Postby salzfaas » Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 pm

here is the drum for now.I couldn't get any hoops made as it seems the metal workers in hastings don't want to cut curved pieces of stainless so they sit properly.the top rim came with the drum I know it's not a sonoc but at some later date i think I will splash out and get manito to make a good replica.The plates worked out fine with the inner tube of a wheelbarrow wheel chopped up to act as the gaskits can tune this baby up to a cracking quinto...it has monster base and beautiful dry slaps and open notes.Thanks to all who contributed very grateful for your expert help.
Attachments
DSC_1359.JPG
salzfaas

Postby Mike » Sat May 11, 2013 6:04 am

salzfaas wrote:by the way I am not quite sure the point of the neoprene gaskets.Is it to spread the load more evenly ,or just to protect the wood?

I think it is somehow for both reasons, at least you have got a better feeling of safety now, haven´t you? :wink:
Talking of which: please do not move that conga too close to the woodstove on the right in the photo! :)
Anyway: superb resto job, my congrats & full respect, you brought that beauty back to life!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby salzfaas » Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 pm

I have had to do some more work on the quinto as it has splitting at the rim.I went to a metal worker today that makes replica parts for old Bugatti racing cars .he made the alma out of 1/8 " mild steel made it absolutely round and a snug fit.It has had 2 functions one to bring the top into perfect round again as it was slightly out and to strengthen the whole stucture.I bolted the staves individualy so there is nowhere for any of them to go now they have to behave.The flexibility of the top has been lost but in this case it is a good thing .I hope it is not going to loose resonance from this act.I did this instead of the fiberglass, as You never know it might all have to come apart again!!!(hope not).I am awaiting for a France percussion ring,tensioners and flesh ring from our super hero Congalou who is making the last 3 for me.I will tell you how I get on when they arrive.
Attachments
DSC_1491.JPG
salzfaas

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Great job. You brought the streets of Havana back to life!
Omelenko1

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 pm

That repair has some serious intent! Incredible work.

I'm very curious if all that metal will change the sound and if the rivets around the bearing edge will in any way interfere with the head as it pulls down. I guess the diameter of the crown will make all the difference.

Looking forward to your future posts on this one.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories