Mopercs

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Mopercs

Postby pcastag » Mon May 27, 2013 1:07 am

Still interested in how you swung a mahogany moperc. is ichel now taking special orders? Did he score some wood? Beautiful drum man!
PC
pcastag

Postby ABAKUA » Mon May 27, 2013 4:57 am

Gorgeous drum. Love it. Is it just the one? Or did you get a set made? This is also the first I hear of MOPERC fabricating from mahogany, is this African Mahogany? Looks very nicely figured also.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Kaban » Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Yes Michel took my special order; I had to pay for whatever African Mahogany went for at the time. The tumba is being made this week, I had to wait till some money was due to me to place second drum. Michel is very cool, he held the wood, so the tumba will be from the same tree. I sent out e-mails to four conga makers, Michel was the only one who agreed to do everything I wanted, plus his turn out time was really good. I gave up a lot of things for my family (Mustang GT, lateral move to out of state job, so this is the one thing that I can get myself without hurting family, plus it will be with me for years to enjoy. There is no limit to what kind of drum you can have with MoPerc.
Last edited by Kaban on Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaban

Postby pcastag » Mon May 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Fricken awesme dude, those drums are gonna be so nice. When Michel first started making his drums they were tsylized after juniors, his quote was I took what junior did and tried to improve it. Carved staves, stainless steel hardware, apparantly he was the son of a blacksmith. Anybody who has picked up and played his drums understands the quality of workmanship that goes into those, he's totally up and up on the business side. Some people don't like the fact that he does not use almas, but I've never seen any instance of his drums ging out of round, My buddy has an original set of five made from the honduran mahogany, even Michael Spiro said they were the best sounding drums he's ever played on. Matt and Jay have their thing for sure, but for a more modern sound and for something that will project without having to go to plastic heads I don't think there is a better drum. Congrats , if you ever get a chance to post some vids I'd love to hear what the afrian mahogany sounds like!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby congamyk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 am

a beauty for sure.

Here's a few new sets of custom Salsa Models he has posted on his website.

congamyk

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:32 am

Looks like he's taking cues from the guitar world for his finishes. Which is a good thing.
roberthelpus

Postby Kaban » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:30 am

Wow, those are very nice! You know what would be cool; a conga made out of Walnut and Ash. An alternate between Ash and Walnut staves! I wonder what kind of sound you would get?
Kaban

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Kaban wrote:Wow, those are very nice! You know what would be cool; a conga made out of Walnut and Ash. An alternate between Ash and Walnut staves! I wonder what kind of sound you would get?

Other than that alternating color stave thing make me think of Zim Gars :shock: :D
roberthelpus

Postby Kaban » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:13 am

Greetings!

News Flash: Michel will be producing MAPLE congas this month. More news, he will start making OAK congas/bongos in 2014!
Kaban

Postby congamyk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 am

good news
congamyk

Postby Kaban » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey guys, does any one use stands for their MoPercs? I tried to put them on my LP super conga stands, and it didn't fit right; the stand holders are too curved.
Kaban

Postby pcastag » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I use the meinl basket stands- These are the easist to fold up and transport, work awesome.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... onga-stand
PC
pcastag

Postby Kaban » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 am

Thanks PC, I never seen them before, kind of hard to believe that it can hold the weight of a MoPerc. How low to the ground can you get them?
Kaban

Postby pcastag » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:00 pm

I've got an ash super tumba (13.25) and it holds it just fine. I only use themn standing up so I don't know how low they can go, not sure if they are apporpriate for sitting down and playing.
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Kaban, I have the LP collapsible cradle with legs http://www.lpmusic.com/en-CA/products/s ... elNo=LP636

I've put moper's, SOS, LP and Isla in them, no problems. Then you can jump on top of them and dance around (when the legs are off and they're set up for playing seated). Super durable and strong.

I can get any conga down to 1-2" off the floor, but find the extra gear to outweigh the benefit of doing this so I usually only use them standing. The stands are kinda bulky and when seated I find it hard to get a good position for my legs and end up sitting a bit too far back from them. One cool thing is that you can bolt the stands together and when using the short version the legs collapse so you end up with a big collapsible rack that you can haul off in one piece. They're heavy stands and this makes things a bit easier.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories