Ray Barretto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Ray Barretto

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:14 am

JohnnyConga wrote:No Doubt Omelenko..Dandy is in the TOP 5 bongoseros of all time..though my personal favorite is still Tony Fuentes who was also in Baretto's band ..and Yes LiL Ray did it all and was a consummate professional.. I never heard him get angry or raise his voice to anyone, a soft spoken man...The photo is Tony Fuentes today, who now lives in Orlando..Eddie Gua is the bass player, who also lives in Orlando.
TONY FUENTES.jpg

Thanks for the update JC. The man still with us in the land of the living and
looks like still playing his bongo and his bell; and that bell has a big mouth.
Last edited by RitmoBoricua on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RitmoBoricua

Postby 11am » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks Rit, Loved Abidjan, Man these songs take me back. The vinyl went long ago, but those albums were the basis of much learning. Ray had great albums that became instant classics! Orestes was my timbalero of choice back then, i tried to copy everything he did. Bien Bien Bien, Mi Ritm Ti Llama! Brings me back to a beautiful place in time.
11am

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Hard Hands is a classic.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 pm

"Mi Ritmo Te LLama", "Quitate La Mascara", "Arrepientete" ( probably Orestes baddest timb solo) those songs were the bible along with Puente's "Top Percussion", all of Mongo's and Palmieri's "La Perfecta" with Oquendo and Tommy Lopez. Let's not forget Cachao's "Descargas En Miniaturas" with Tata, Barretico and Yeyito. AGUAAAAAAA!!!!!
Omelenko1

Postby 11am » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:"Mi Ritmo Te LLama", "Quitate La Mascara", "Arrepientete" ( probably Orestes baddest timb solo) those songs were the bible along with Puente's "Top Percussion", all of Mongo's and Palmieri's "La Perfecta" with Oquendo and Tommy Lopez. Let's not forget Cachao's "Descargas En Miniaturas" with Tata, Barretico and Yeyito. AGUAAAAAAA!!!!!

Yeah Baby, Omelenco, Vamonos pal monte, e Puerto Rico! was Da Bomb! Everything you named, absolutely, Mothers milk. but I will say this. I thought Mongo's Afro Roots ( which was really 2 previous releases, Yambu and Something else?) Just drums, all traditional, every monster on the planet that was stateside,played on that. recorded in 58 I believe?That recording was Mongos legacy to the world of drumming, for Afro Cuban drumming. it was important, and he sure didn't have to make that recording, cause you had to be a drummer to get that. Nobody brought that to the table then, not Chano, not Dizzy, not Puente, nobody made a recording like that. And that to this very minute is the Bible to me. For some reason, thank God, Mongo said I'm going to open it up and show all of you how it really was done. What it was supposed to sound like. It was the root, and Cuba was shut off after that. It's ridiculous to me that Cuba is still at cold war status. Ah, don't get me started.
11am

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 am

Mongo was and has been, in my opinion, the most influential tumbador in history. Is true that Chano was the initial torch carrier, but Mongo was consistent for 40 yrs. Those two albums for Fantasy that you mentioned, Yambu 1958 and Mongo 1959 set the bar at its highest and no one here in the States has done anything as deep. La Biblia De La Rumba Y De El Tambor.
Omelenko1

Postby Marcus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 pm

I know this is old hat for so many on this forum, but I just got into Ray Barretto (forgive my newbe status). With what little I have listened too, I want to start collecting some of most influential works on CD. You guys got any suggestions of his albums emphaising solos and conga leading arrangements.

thx, marcus
Marcus

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:42 am

A must have is "Que Viva La Musica" {http://www.amazon.com/Que-Viva-Musica-Ray-Barretto/dp/B001D5F3IA}
This recording is a classic. Ray Barretto, Johnny "Dandy" Rodriguez and Orestes Vilato formed one of the most formidable rhythm sections ever. "Cocinando" is a vehicle for Ray, Dandy and Orestes to hold a hell of conversation amongst themselves. Also Ray's playing goes beyond Latin he was the house conga player in many jazz recordings. You can buy about any of Ray's recordings and you will not be disappointed. I must say to truly appreciate Ray's playing you have to go beyond his solos but this applies to all other players as well. Solos are kind like the frosting on the cake, without the cake frostings are kind of vain. I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Marcus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:48 am

Done! Look forward to listening to it.

thx

peace, marcus
Marcus

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories