Iding old Valjes

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Iding old Valjes

Postby rumbandres » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm

So, I have recently (yesterday) scored 2 gorgeous LA Valjes and one of them has a very unusual badge. Anyone have any clue as to iding it? Faustino Cruz Says that it belongs to the first generation of Valjes (59-60) but the drums does not seem that old. Any one have any thoughts?

The other one has the regular Sunset Badge although fairly obliterated and cannot say whether it is a 3314 or 3312.

THey will be restored and I will post more pics later.

Any Bostonians here? It also has a sticker for a place called the drummers Image in Boston Mass but I cannot find any info on it.

Thanks
DSCN0847.JPG
DSCN0859.JPG
rumbandres

Re: Iding old Valjes

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 pm

The guy to talk to is Ralph Flores at Resolution Drums, his dad made Valjes. next would be Congalero, a member of this forum. Those two are the most knowledgeable experts on Valje drums in the world. Faustino's credibility is questionable. I do know, that if you look inside the drum and see rectangular plates instead of washers for the side plate bolts that the drum was made sometime in the Sixties.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rumbandres » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 am

Ah! there is a good piece of info.

That would make it not 60s (as I had originally suspected) but the label does not make any sense... has no address. Might it be a Haight Ashbury drum? ... hmmm it does not sport the valje long v logo though... I have emailed Ralph thanks for the tip.I will also ask congalero
rumbandres

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the long V was an LP branding thing. You can call Mahmoud at Haight Ashbury music and ask him about the logo. I actually have not seen one like that before. I have congas and bongos from the 60's and 80', they all have the rectangular sticker.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rumbandres » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:22 pm

http://congadr.blogspot.com/2008/11/sf- ... nning.html

Here are some San Fran Valjes(according to Tony) with the long V. I did not think it was an LP thing.
rumbandres

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Oh you meant a sticker, I thought you were referring to the way LP would stamp a V into the lugs.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rumbandres » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh! gotcha... yes you are right I believe that was LP
rumbandres

Postby rumbandres » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:00 pm

From Ralph Flores himself

The label is early 1960's. It means the drum was made
by my father at 3314 Sunset. The drum is very old,Valjes were
made to last.

Quite a find. Very happy. Now to restore.
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:28 pm

rumbandres wrote:From Ralph Flores himself

The label is early 1960's. It means the drum was made
by my father at 3314 Sunset. The drum is very old,Valjes were
made to last.
Quite a find. Very happy. Now to restore.

Ok, you see you got the information due to a forum
member pointing you in the right direction. Is always
good to double check and have different opinions.
Good luck on refurbishing them Valjes, come back
keep us post it on your progress and post pictures;
and if you have any questions we may be able to
help, plenty of good and knowledgeable people
on this forum. Take Care!
RitmoBoricua

Postby rumbandres » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Actually Faustino was right on the money immediately. I however, like to be as informed as I possibly can. Thanks to all that helped figure this out. I do not mean to place any kind of animosity between parties. I just look forward to enjoying the drums and sharing the music.

I will be for sure posting pics of the refurbish.

Also, anyone knows if it is possible to determine whether the other drum is a 3314 or 3312? The sticker is basically obliterated. I just would like to know a little more about the history of these drums.

DSCN0871.JPG
rumbandres

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm

The stickers themselves are what had the address on them, so other than that I don't think you can tell which shop it was made at, not that it matters, the shops were next door to the other. I'm guessing at one time someone replaced the rectangular plates with washers and that is why yours can't be dated that way.

Always best to go to the source when you can, Ralph, Akbar, Mahmoud, Jay, Matt all these guys are still around and are the definitive authorities on their drums.

Faustino has been caught out and out lying on this forum more than once, by Akbar himself one time, that is why I mention him as not 100% credible, though he does know a lot about the history of many drum makers.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rumbandres » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 pm

With all love and respect to all the parties involved I am here and there for drumming and drum related stuff.

From here on I will refrain from digging any deeper in to the subject as i do not want the thread to head elsewhere.

So! some pics of the restoration

The set as I got it.

Full set.jpg

Off with the heads! and the hardware.

DSCN0891.JPG

The macho. Still unidentified as to the era (i'll venture a guess and say is not to far era wise to the hembra)

DSCN0892.JPG

First pass sand (60)

DSCN0895.JPG

There is a small crack in the bottom of the macho I had not noticed before that i will have to fix.... oh well. (crappy pic sorry)

DSCN0897.JPG

Wondering whether to continue sanding some more to erase the lug rash. Though at this point it has quite improved.

To be continued...
Last edited by rumbandres on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumbandres

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Personally, I'd hit them again. It would be a shame if the whatever finish you decide to put on them brings out the colour contrast in the wood and "shows off" the wear, especially if you're not trying to maintain a vintage look with them.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:20 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:Personally, I'd hit them again. It would be a shame if the whatever finish you decide to put on them brings out the colour contrast in the wood and "shows off" the wear, especially if you're not trying to maintain a vintage look with them.

Just maybe not with 60 grit.
roberthelpus

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 pm

rumbandres wrote: Thanks to all that helped figure this out. I do not mean to place any kind of animosity between parties. I just look forward to enjoying the drums and sharing the music.

Don't worry animosity is coming from one source only.
I do not think you will get thrown-out of this forum
because you go and consult with people outside this
forum. You got all the right to go and consult with
whomever, don't let nobody tell you otherwise.

rumbandres wrote:Wondering whether to continue sanding some more to erase the lug rash. Though at this point it has quite improved.

Personally, I always try to keep sanding to a minimum.
Nothing wrong with battle scars on vintage drums. Nice
pictures, keep us post it on your progress. Good Luck
My Man!
RitmoBoricua

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories