Iding old Valjes

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Iding old Valjes

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:19 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:Personally, I'd hit them again. It would be a shame if the whatever finish you decide to put on them brings out the colour contrast in the wood and "shows off" the wear, especially if you're not trying to maintain a vintage look with them.

I probably will. not necessarily going for a museum quality restoration but not a vintage look either. Some scars should be fine but I want to pay respect to the drums as best as I can.

Thanks!
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 pm

rumbandres wrote:
rhythmrhyme wrote:Personally, I'd hit them again. It would be a shame if the whatever finish you decide to put on them brings out the colour contrast in the wood and "shows off" the wear, especially if you're not trying to maintain a vintage look with them.

I probably will. not necessarily going for a museum quality restoration but not a vintage look either. Some scars should be fine but I want to pay respect to the drums as best as I can.

Thanks!

Have you figured out what finish are you going with? As long
as the drums are structurally sound the cosmetic stuff is not
big deal. Let us know the kind of finish you want on your
drums, some of us have refinished drums in the past. One
thing I did years back when I refinished some drums, I
went and bought me a couple of books on how to finish
wood. Post some pictures too of the areas you are concerned
with. Take Care.
RitmoBoricua

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm

The only seious structural issue is the crack on the hembra. Which I have not yet gotten to (I have been really busy so I just got to go to the store yesterday... time time where does thou fly). I have read just about every single restoration thread and will go for the titebond III and razor blade to insert and then rope it/stick.

DSCN0854.JPG

DSCN0853.JPG

For the finish I was thinking Danish oil (not sure of whether to do natural or golden oak or something else though... Thoughts?) and water based polycrilic to seal it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

BTW

I am currently working on editing a book about Cuban Pianist/singer/composer Tirso Duarte (of La Charanga Habanera/Pupy,etc one of the REALLY big cats of timba) by my dear friend Kevin Moore from Timba.com fame. It should hit the presses soon. it is beyond belief! highly recommended for any Cubanofile musician. The book Also includes good analysis on Mengual's conga style (mainly as an addendum but still quite insightful)

so you get an idea of Tirso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QF7xQbk1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8GDpxTUM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8h2plyAFw
Last edited by rumbandres on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm

It seems you already have the plan of action for the cracks. To me Valije.congas look the best with that amber/golden look. Nice patina on them drums, with some sanding you should be able to get rid off of most the scratches. You may have to live with the deep ones. Is hell typing on a smart phone.
Last edited by RitmoBoricua on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:12 pm

I almost forgot use stripper first to get rid off the old finish that way avoid too much sanding
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:43 pm

I am back on my computer. Also safety precautions: Get chemical gloves, safety goggles and dust/paint mask.
You do not want to inhale fumes or sand dust. Do not want to absorb chemicals thru your skin or splash chemicals
in you eyes. When refinishing drums and dealing with solvents, paints, chemicals etc. the best place is outside or a
well ventilated place. Got to be safe and well to enjoy playing them drums. Take Care.
RitmoBoricua

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks so much.
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

rumbandres wrote:For the finish I was thinking Danish oil (not sure of whether to do natural or golden oak or something else though... Thoughts?) and water based polycrilic to seal it.

Danish oil, excellent. One thing you have to consider
if you apply Danish oil and then top coat with water
based polycrilic you may encounter adhesion problems
due to water and oil do not really mix, kind of incompatible.
Now you can still use it but you have to use a barrier in between
those (2), a sanding sealer and universal sealant, dewaxed shellac.
You can buy it at any Home Depot, Lowes etc. Link to product:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=246

Also you may want to consider using oil polyurethane or varnish
and that way don't have to use dewaxed shellac. I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:
rumbandres wrote:For the finish I was thinking Danish oil (not sure of whether to do natural or golden oak or something else though... Thoughts?) and water based polycrilic to seal it.

Danish oil, excellent. One thing you have to consider
if you apply Danish oil and then top coat with water
based polycrilic you may encounter adhesion problems
due to water and oil do not really mix, kind of incompatible.
Now you can still use it but you have to use a barrier in between
those (2), a sanding sealer and universal sealant, dewaxed shellac.
You can buy it at any Home Depot, Lowes etc. Link to product:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=246

Also you may want to consider using oil polyurethane or varnish
and that way don't have to use dewaxed shellac. I hope this helps.

That is quite helpful then I will probably use oil based poly. Several options available for the finish (gloss, semi gloss, satin etc.) any advantages to any of it?. I do not care for shiny drums anyway. so probably satin?
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm

rumbandres wrote:That is quite helpful then I will probably use oil based poly. Several options available for the finish (gloss, semi gloss, satin etc.) any advantages to any of it?. I do not care for shiny drums anyway. so probably satin?

Gloss finish is harder than say matte or satin.
Gloss gives you a little more protection, that's
one reason you only see clear gloss top coat on
cars brand new from the manufacturer. But of
course is your choice.
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:07 pm

rumbandres wrote:BTW

I am currently working on editing a book about Cuban Pianist/singer/composer Tirso Duarte (of La Charanga Habanera/Pupy,etc one of the REALLY big cats of timba) by my dear friend Kevin Moore from Timba.com fame. It should hit the presses soon. it is beyond belief! highly recommended for any Cubanofile musician. The book Also includes good analysis on Mengual's conga style (mainly as an addendum but still quite insightful)

On that first video the piano almost caught fire. On the second
video is that timba? Reminds me of "Salsa Romatica or Monga"
that was real popular back in the 80's and 90's. Who is Mengual?
Not aware of this conga player. Thank you for sharing.
RitmoBoricua

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:
rumbandres wrote:BTW

On that first video the piano almost caught fire. On the second
video is that timba? Reminds me of "Salsa Romatica or Monga"
that was real popular back in the 80's and 90's. Who is Mengual?
Not aware of this conga player. Thank you for sharing.

Well, yes the start to the second track is really romantic... I do not care for the beggining particularly but the track catches fire a little later... sort of a slow burn kinda thing fast froward to about 3:30 let it roll and listen to the piano tumbaos.

Orlandito Mengual: Conguero for Pachito Alonso (the son) y sus kini kini for many years and Conguero for Charanga Habanera starting 1998. Incredibly creative conguero such amazing marchas. He has a twin brother who is the bongosero for Charanga Habanera. I believe they are somehow related to Los Papines. Nephews? something like that.
rumbandres

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:57 pm

I've always had good luck with a simple coat of danish oil. Easily applied, good protection, easily repaired and looks great. I use this finish on my "street" drums and it has performed well. My street drums are 60's era Valjes similar to yours. I find that the urethane coats are easily more scratched than the wood.
Attachments
DSCF2327.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby rumbandres » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:00 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:I've always had good luck with a simple coat of danish oil. Easily applied, good protection, easily repaired and looks great. I use this finish on my "street" drums and it has performed well. My street drums are 60's era Valjes similar to yours. I find that the urethane coats are easily more scratched than the wood.

Good thought. Ill danish them and then decide on the poly What color are you using? Golden oak? I really like how your drums look that is pretty much the color I would like to achieve. Nice and rich.

Thanks!
rumbandres

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Yeah them Valjes look real good with Danish oil.
The most important thing on a refinishing project
is wood preparation. Making sure the bare wood is
smooth, clean and ready to accept finish into it's
pores. The devil is in the details.
RitmoBoricua

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories