Matt Smith 'Ritmos" & PM Percussion, The Old & New: Video

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Matt Smith 'Ritmos" & PM Percussion, The Old & New: Video

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

My Matthew Smith walnut "Ritmos" played back to back with PM Percussion (Peter Musser) Cuban Heritage series congas made from imported oak French wine barells.
http://youtu.be/QMjP8MPEVxo
Mr.Rumba

Re: Matt Smith 'Ritmos" & PM Percussion, The Old & New: Vide

Postby CongaTick » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Your vid comparisons are extremely helpful and informative not only for anyone seriously considering the purchase of "boutique" drums, but are a valuable forum resource for all congueros. Thank you.
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm

For my taste the "Ritmos" sound better. Nice playing, great job.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Marcus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Interesting, Certainly not questioning personnal taste, but why would the Ritmos sound better than the PM's?? Personnally I would cherish either.

Is it shape, wood, hardware, skin, type of glue, finish, the mojo of the shop. I am not in the market, I just am interested in conga construction.

thx, Marcus
Marcus

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:13 pm

CongaTick wrote:Your vid comparisons are extremely helpful and informative not only for anyone seriously considering the purchase of "boutique" drums, but are a valuable forum resource for all congueros. Thank you.

Thank you for the props CongaTick, mush appreciated and really glad you enjoy the videos. They are super fun to make! :)
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Marcus wrote:Interesting, Certainly not questioning personnal taste, but why would the Ritmos sound better than the PM's?? Personnally I would cherish either.

Is it shape, wood, hardware, skin, type of glue, finish, the mojo of the shop. I am not in the market, I just am interested in conga construction.

thx, Marcus

Hi Marcus, in my opinion you hit the nail on the head (so to speak:) and answered your own question in terms of why one drum could or would sound better then another. I am not saying that the Ritmo sounds better just that I agree with you why one drum sounds different then another. The factors you mentioned all play a huge part. And for me the type of wood, skin (and other factors as mentioned above) and geometry all play a big part.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:For my taste the "Ritmos" sound better. Nice playing, great job.

Thanks RitmoBoricua, glad you liked it!
Mr.Rumba

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Marcus wrote:Interesting, Certainly not questioning personnal taste, but why would the Ritmos sound better than the PM's?? Personnally I would cherish either.

thx, Marcus

Probably some of those things you mentioned.
Make no mistakes there is a reason Matt is
considered by many to be the top conga maker
today. But then again like so many things is
matter of preference too. I just like the sound
of the "Ritmos" better.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Marcus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks Guys,

It was a silly rhetorical question anyway, sorta like what makes a chef great. I will just say that each "boutique" conga maker has their own mojo which combines all the materials and their finesse into the final product that is their creation. If one resonates with that mojo--then that is your conga. Hey I have productions congas with great after market skins. I am happy for many years to come.

thx, marcus
:D
Marcus

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 pm

thx, Marcus

Hint: It ain't the glue :wink:
roberthelpus

Return to CongaSet and accessories