Valje vs Gon Bops

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Valje vs Gon Bops

Postby Kaban » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Greetings,

Has anyone here experienced both the vintage Valje & Gon Bops; what's the difference in sound? Which one do you think is a better drum?

Godspeed,
Kaban
Kaban

Re: Valje vs Gon Bops

Postby docarroyo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I really dislike when people ask questions like this Valje is Valje and Gon Bops are Gon Bops. Each has its unique character and each should be appreciated for its own qualities. Preference is subjective . Valje made one style of drum Gon Bops various models. All these comparisons I see on here of one maker to another, skin type to another trying to say or determine which one is better is ridiculous. If YOU like the drum buy and play it, do not worry what any one else thinks. These threads remind me of a song by Ruben Blades "PLASTICO" there is a line the roughly translates into "he is one of those guys that as a topic of conversations discusses which manufacture of cars is the best". Nothing personal against you I have seen many other subjects like this posted here by other than you. Trust yourselves make your own decisions on YOUR instruments they are or should become an extension of you not some one else's opinion. Which is Better Ford or Chevy, who is driving it me or a NASCAR pro. Richie Flores plays Pearl Fiber Glass drums and makes them sound AMAZING. Check out some Cuban guys playing on you tube, they play some dilapidated old drums with worn out skins and make them sound AMAZING. I think I should have started a thread on its own to point this out. I do not mean to offend anyone especially you just trying to make a point. Also the sound comparisons, I own many sound systems and speakers such as Magnaplanar, Fried, Thiel, Infinity, Pinnacle and more the comparisons played through different speakers sounds different. If your listening on little PC speakers I'm sure they will sound even worse. My apologies for the rant in advance.
docarroyo

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I've had several of both. I prefer Valje, they tend to have more volume and bass. Gon Bops are great drums. I prefer the oak Gon Bops.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Kaban » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 am

Docarroyo,

You are over reacting to a simple question(s). I understand all of this is subjective in nature; that's the point. That's what I was interested in (or else I wouldn't have asked), people's opinion, and experience. I never played a vintage Gon Bops or Valje, so what does one do when one doesn't know...ask? That's what men do, we talk, express, and opinionate on who/what is the best, or worst. It goes on every day on Sports Talk radio, ESPN, the bar across the street, the Cooking network, newspapers, Car shows, local politics, and countless online forums like congaplace. You may not like the question, but I do. :wink:

Godspeed,
Kaban
Kaban

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 am

We know lot of a stuff we talk around here is subjective.
We have repeat it over and over that is not the arrow is
the indian. But regardless, when in doubt, Ask! The only
way to educate, learn and gain valuable information is by
communicating. I think that is the purpose of forums like
this, to bring together a group of people with same
interest and share information back and forth.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Presently I have a trio of 1976 Gon Bops Teardrop model with fiberglass coating over Philippine mahogany. I have had an assortment of Gon Bops through the years, but these are the best sounding of all Gon Bops by far. I had had my share of Valje as well, they have always sounded good. Enclosed photos of my Teardrop Gon Bops 1976.
securedownload (2).jpg
Omelenko1

Postby Kaban » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 am

There beautiful drums!

Is that what Michael Carabello played when he was with Santana? In fact, does anyone know, any records/CD I can check-out where they are playing these drums?

Godspeed,
Kaban
Kaban

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 am

I know Carabello had a similar pair. In the album/CD "Abraxas" he is playing similar Gon Bops. These GB teardrop model are the best sounding I ever had.
Omelenko1

Postby maelopr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Here's Ray Barreto playing a set of Gon Bops, teardrop model...Guarare, enjoy!!!

http://youtu.be/pxePD0sHGZo
¡ ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Postby Kaban » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Excellent, thank you!
Kaban

Postby Kaban » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey guys, does anybody know what congas are being played here?

It looks like Mike Carabello is playing Valje, and Chepito is playing Gon Bops (they both play at the 5 minute mark)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dLPXCpiyY
Kaban

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:40 am

Carabello is playing Valjes with an Echo Tone in the middle. Chepo is palying Gon Bops Deluxe teardrop model. Early Santana session 1970.
Omelenko1

Postby Kaban » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 am

Wow! Omelenko you got mad knowledge going on!
Kaban

Postby CongaTick » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

That 1970 Santana band was one of THE greatest bands ever. Ahhh.... the memories. Thanks for taking me back.
CongaTick

Postby bongoz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 am

Hey omolenko1...i agree about the fiberglass over mahogany Gon Bops. I own a conga/supertumba set from 1971 with hardware previous to to the comfort curve rim. I own quite a few commercial and custom made drums and these were always my favorite. Passing them on to familia soon so they will be going to good homes. Mine were painted red. I like the finish on yours much better....
bongoz

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories