Vintage Quinto Comparison:88' LP Valje and Timba Percussion

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Vintage Quinto Comparison:88' LP Valje and Timba Percussion

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Classic Vintage Quintos: 1988 LP/Valje (with LP Water Buffalo skin) and Timba Percusson with new Manito Percussion Natural Brown Steer skin Quintos recorded with ribbon mic's:
http://youtu.be/U50rd5J25l0
Mr.Rumba

Re: Vintage Quinto Comparison:88' LP Valje and Timba Percuss

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Requintos comparison test of Manito Percussion requinto, Volcano Percussion,Isla Percussion and Spirit In The Wood Conga Drums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFo-ZV-GppY
Mr.Rumba

Postby Tristian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey there Mr.Rumba! I have loved your comparisons of some of the finest congas both new and old. Your videos are a dream come true for somebody who is blind and is looking for Youtube clips of handcrafted congas being played by pros. Your style is amazing, and very different from mine. My favorite drum was the one tuned lower. If I could afford drums from any one of those craftsman, I would join the crowd of congueros who play the highest quality drums. Thank you very much.
Tristian

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Not because it was mine, but the Valje LP sounds awesome. Now that you changed the head I'll love to hear it.
Omelenko1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Tristian wrote:Hey there Mr.Rumba! I have loved your comparisons of some of the finest congas both new and old. Your videos are a dream come true for somebody who is blind and is looking for Youtube clips of handcrafted congas being played by pros. Your style is amazing, and very different from mine. My favorite drum was the one tuned lower. If I could afford drums from any one of those craftsman, I would join the crowd of congueros who play the highest quality drums. Thank you very much.

Hi Tristian, nice to meet you here and very glad you are enjoying the videos and thanks for the props, much appreciated! :). What drums are you playing now?
Some of my favorite drums are my old LP's! I put new skins on them and they sound great!
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:Not because it was mine, but the Valje LP sounds awesome. Now that you changed the head I'll love to hear it.

Here is the latest video with both drums having new manito steer on them.
I think they both sound super sweet!
The Valje (LP) is a really nice surprise!
http://youtu.be/kwJjRGR5HmY
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Here is a photo of the 1988 Valje with a new Manito Percussion brown steer skin on it.
Attachments
1013061_10201054034367905_229534536_n.jpg
1988 Valje (LP) with new Manito Steer Skin
Mr.Rumba

Postby Tristian » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I currently could only afford one conga right now. It is a 10" requinto from Rhythm Traders in Portland. It is the Mambo series. I think it has a great sound, much better than the Cp congas that the high school has in the band room. My question to you Mr.Rumba is which skin in your own opinion and from which company would you recommend to switch out to get a more full, and warm sound from my drum? Of course I know part of the sound from your videos has to do with the ribbon mics used, but even for those videos recorded without them, I can still here a difference in tone. It probably also has to do with the quality of the drum from the craftsman, but I'm just asking what skin would improve the tone a bit more?
Tristian

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 am

I have changed so many skins this last year I lost count. I am presently going with Manito Percussion natural brown steer skins. I have had very good luck with them and love the sound and look as well. To me his steer (and this is only my experience it may be different for others) is a sound in between cow and mule. Cow being more about the mellow full tone, mule being sharper sounding and projecting more. The problem with mule for me is that it is often a harder skin and harder on your hands. The thickness you get the skin will also make a huge difference. You can call Manito and tell him what drum you have, what sound you are going for and he can recommend a skin type and thickness. I have also used several of Jaisen Torres mule skins (he has or had Steer as well) and had really good luck with them as well. I know other folks here like other skin suppliers, and I am sure they are great I just found a couple of guys I really like so I stick with them.
Attachments
600180_10200243961476589_719600272_n.jpg
LP Classics I reheaded with Manito Natural Brown Steer Skin (no dye is used, this is the natural color)
Mr.Rumba

Postby Kaban » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:17 am

Micheal, do you buy Manitos flat skin, or the premounted ones? How long do you soak it for? Beautiful Skins.
Kaban

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Kaban wrote:Micheal, do you buy Manitos flat skin, or the premounted ones? How long do you soak it for? Beautiful Skins.

I almost always buy flat skins from Manito. The last skin I mounted was 2mm thick natural brown steer and I soaked it for just over 3 hours, until it was very pliable. I thought it would need 4 hours but it was ready to go after 3. I have also used his pre mounted bongo heads 2x. On my Manito bongos I have both the mule macho and a pre mounted steer macho that I can switch out or bring with me when I am traveling (as an instant back up). One (strong) suggestion i have is to buy the skin you are going to use (from anyone) slightly larger then suggested by the seller. For example I use a conga sized diameter for a quinto. Although you waste slightly more skin and it costs a little more it is so much easier to put on. I have put on many, many skins over the years and I still find the extra room makes it so much easier to mount the head! Also, I use a carpet cutters blade instead of a straight razor blade to trim the skin.
Attachments
2013-06-29 07.31.07.jpg
Older Mantio Solid Shell Tumba With New Manito Natural Brown Steer Skin I Mounted
Mr.Rumba

Return to CongaSet and accessories