PJ DRUMS & PERCUSSION Vintage Set

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

PJ DRUMS & PERCUSSION Vintage Set

Postby Espresso » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi
I would share my pleasure to see this set PJ Conga e Tumba.
I already owned the Tumba that is 29 cm diameter , and now I have scored the Conga that is 28 cm diameter.
I have seen only one time another set of 3 pieces Q C T in a famous drum shop in Milan , about 20 years go when PJ was still active.
This shold be the first De Luxe wooden model of PJ , featured of several rings under the crown; later models has only one bigger groove.
I do not know what kind is , but Ilike this clear wood with satin finis.
About sound , like always I say sound good!!!!
May be someone would be more detailed about projection , slap , bass , ecc , but I think it is complicated to compare ,it think you should use the same skin to compare different drum , and it is not enough.
Is there someone can add information about this model or better have this model too ?
Let us know
Attachments
Immagine 187.jpg
Immagine 188.jpg
Immagine 190.jpg
Immagine 191.jpg
Espresso

Re: PJ DRUMS & PERCUSSION Vintage Set

Postby consciousnist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Last edited by consciousnist on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
consciousnist

Postby Espresso » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:10 am

For sure it would be interestig to know something more , but it looks that this model is really unknown PJ !!
Espresso

Postby troels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 pm

PJ is indeed still active. Eliel Lazo for instance plays PJ UNO Congas, and is endorsed by PJ.

I myself own a set of the original PJ fiber congas made in the 80's (hand made here in Denmark) absolutely fantastic drums! I own a set of PJ UNO's as well. For any questions about those great drums of yours, don't hesitate to contact Peter Kragh-Jacobsen (Mister PJ himself :-)) email: peter@slagtojctr.dk He's a really nice guy and I'm sure he will be willing to answer all your questions.

Regards,
Troels
troels

Postby Espresso » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Troels
Nice that someone from Denmark add something new to this topics, and nice to know that PJ is still active ; I was not sure because their web site is " being updated " since several time.
For sure I'll write to Mr. Jacobsen and I'll ask to post some information or picture directly here , available to all congaplace .
Have You never seen PJ wooden model like mine ?

Have a nice day!!!
Espresso

Postby troels » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 pm

PJ is distributed through "Slagtøjcentret" which is Peter Kragh-Jacobsens drum shop located in Copenhagen since 1981 (www.slagtojctr.dk)
I have seen the PJ model you have before, and as far as I know, it is actually the first generation of the PJ wooden congas (hand made in Denmark)
The original PJ congas came in both wood and fiber (of which I own a set) Later on the original line of congas were taken out of production (too expensive to produce in Denmark I suppose...) and a new and less expensive line called "Session Line" was introduced (produced in Thailand) Still very good drums though!
The other line of congas that PJ produces today is called "UNO" (also made in Thailand) and is the type that Eliel Lazo plays. They are a little bit cheaper than the Session Lines.

-Troels
troels

Postby teilzeittrommler » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:07 am

Hi ! These congas are the predecessor of PJ`s legendary No 1 Conga series . In opposite to the No 1`s , which are made of elm wood , these are made of birch ,also rarely used in manufacturing congas . So you own a real collector`s item .
teilzeittrommler

Postby Espresso » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Thank You for sharing
Espresso

Return to CongaSet and accessories