How many wax their drums?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

How many people wax the bodies of their drums?

Options:
No votes
Yes
33%
No
67%
other
No votes

Total votes : 12

How many wax their drums?

Postby congavalde » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 am

Just out of curiosity, I am thinking of waxing the congas, especially the tumbas, requinto, and conga. I use the quinto in front of me.

There's nothing like keeping my drums polished and pretty. The poll will help me to see just how crazy I am!
congavalde

Re: How many wax their drums?

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:22 pm

To be honest, ive never really considered it but it makes sense, I think Ill try it.
I would use spray wax that way there is minimal rubbing. I have some turtle spray wax, Im going to try it on my SOS :)
Cheers.
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby jorge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 pm

If you play sitting down you need friction to lift the drum up with your knees and to keep the drum in place. Wax makes the conga too slippery.
jorge

Postby congavalde » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 am

jorge wrote:If you play sitting down you need friction to lift the drum up with your knees and to keep the drum in place. Wax makes the conga too slippery.

I have as my main/center drum my quinto. Honestly, I cannot lift it anyways because it is too slippery even without wax (i guess I could try with shorts on instead of jeans or khakis). With this poll I was thinking of waxing especially the side drums; also have 2 tumbas, a requinto and conga that are on rubber feet surrounding the center drum.

There are times that I just want to clean, look at my beauties and admire them, almost like that car commerical with the baby! :roll:
congavalde

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

Honestly, I cannot lift it anyways because it is too slippery even without wax (i guess I could try with shorts on instead of jeans or khakis).

That's a matter of the way you hold it, positioning your feet, amount of pressure between your thighs, angle of the drum (first of all). Also, mostly one of your hands will be on the drum, like in a bass or floating hand position; so you can additionally secure it with this hand.

I would rather worry about my clothes. What if you had a gig where you have to dress yourself well? When the evening is over, you will have waxed your trousers, too ...

I even gave up trying to save my drums from scratches and dents. Once they are out of their bags, they are exposed to all kinds of punishment. I don't bring a special drum to play with sticks, so my congas have to take that. Then there are the tuning bolts of the neighboring drums, and there are worn out spots that I can't even imagine where they came from.

Used drums look beautiful. They don't have to shine in my parents' living room.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby CongaTick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Shining drums? I'm with Thomas.
CongaTick

Postby Isaac » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:30 am

No,
I just wipe them down with a soft cloth every few months.
Isaac

Postby docarroyo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 am

I own several different drums. Juniors, Requenas and other vintage drums along with those I use for Rumba no WAX. My Volcano, LP Classics, and Original Galaxy drums I wax since I used these with stands. As far as picking up drums with my legs I have been known to do that but more often now I just tilt. I'm older now and need to conserve my energy and strength I also just rest the drum on the soles of my shoes as another technique.
docarroyo

Return to CongaSet and accessories