Best budget-conscious fiberglass set

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Best budget-conscious fiberglass set

Postby mojo4395 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:33 pm

I'm looking to switch from my Meinl Headliner Series set to a fiberglass set with synthetic skins. I know that the tone is different, but the upside with weight and not having to tune/detune the drum every time I play is a big deal for me. I currently play in a rock band and between loading in and out for shows and trying to tune before and detune after shows, I'm looking for that convenience. Plus I think that the fiberglass drums will cut through the rest of the sound a little bit better.

I'm looking for some advice on models I should be looking at. I'd like to keep the price for an 11" and 12" with bongos under $700, although I may sell my current set to make up some of the difference. I'm looking for something that's going to project bass hits and heel/toe techniques well and not get drowned out completely by a drum kit. I don't have much of an opportunity to play different drums before making a decision, since there isn't any store that stocks a variety nearby. I've been happy with my Meinl's (and I have a variety of other Meinl percussion) so I'm initially inclined to stick with them. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Check out my weekly column Jam Central Station on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/JamCentralStation and my band The MuckleBuck http://www.facebook.com/themucklebuck
mojo4395

Re: Best budget-conscious fiberglass set

Postby Derbeno » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:12 pm

The tuning de-tuning is dependent on the head not the drum. The natural head is what some detune. A synthetic head does not warrant this once it's bedded in.

There has been many threads on the subject of detuning. I personally don't bother and have seen no ill effects. You can search the forum and see the preference of others.

Regarding being drowned out by the Drum kit, are you mic'ed up? Are you playing with an at all times busy busy drum player that has no concept of playing with a Conga player? You guys may need to "chat"

Budget wise, you may want to go second hand as your best option to get something good at a reasonable price. Look out for Potato, Matador or Meinl fiberglass

Goodluck
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Good advice, and similar to what I would have thought :)
Many conga players suffer from the sheer volume in an amplified band
and if you are not miked, a fiberglass set will not help much,
especially in a rock band.
Louder does not always mean better though...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Mojo, I was in the same situation: My solution? Fiberglass Matadors with SkynDeep heads. PLUS I mic each drum individually using my CongaPlaytz system, fed to a 4 channel TAPCO mixer for a 1/4" or XLR out to the PA. I NEVER play with rock-style- amplified groups without being equally mic'ed and amped myself..... Only go off mic with strictly acoustic performers. I agree if you can find some second-hand drums--definitly the way to go.

CONGAPLAYT COMP.jpg

IMG_2913.JPG
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories