Gon Bops Find

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Gon Bops Find

Postby Madlatin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:39 pm

So, I was thinking about buying a set of the new Mariano Series Congas. I started looking them up and reading all the reviews I could find about them. I had made up my mind to purchase a full set of four as soon as I could find the best deal on them and shipping. Went to a couple local music stores and asked about total pricing on the deal. So after leaving the music store I was heading North to go do a job, when I saw a Guitar Center that I didn't even know was up there. I decided to go in and see what they had in used gear...... I couldn't believe what was setting right in front of the percussion dept :shock: . A trio of older 3300 Model Gon Bops, Conga, Tumba and Super Tumba! I made an offer on the price and walked out with them on the spot. Looks like they were hardly touched. Didn't even wipe em down yet, just a little dust. Tuned them and they sound sweet! Funny how it all came together... that I am never on that side of town. It was meant to happen. :wink: Lol

Madlatin
Attachments
DSC02381.JPG
DSC02382.JPG
DSC02383.JPG
"Some things become more valuable when they are shared"
Madlatin

Re: Gon Bops Find

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 am

You are a lucky guy!
The congas are like new - what a fantastic find.
Congrats, looks as if you made the deal of your lifetime!
Enjoy playing them 8)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mikeydrum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Congratulations on finding a great set! A similar thing happened to me. I stopped off at a guitar center (which I rarely do) buying a gift for an intern. Sitting there were 2 Marianos very similar to yours! one IC and an ITL. They were in cherry condition with no cracks, nicks or really anything to speak of. They were priced super cheap so I bought them on the spot. I put new manito steer skins on em and cleaned them up. I might need to rework the bearing edge on the tumba since it sounds pretty thin and tinny on the ground. When I have it in the stand or play it as a single drum it sounds great. Just not sitting flat. Anyway congrats on the set and here's to many more years of great music on those beauties!

-Mike

Here's a bad pic of my set but you get the idea ;^)
Attachments
gonbops.jpg
gonbops.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Mikeydrum

Postby Madlatin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:31 am

Hey guys,
Mike y Mike, Thanks for the comments. Congrats on your set also Mike. Yes, I have bought and sold many drums but these are keepers. Totally solid drums all around. The skins were questionable at first. On older skins, I put a very small amount of Pure Lanolin and rub it into the skin. Let it sit a day or two and wipe off the excess. The skin is back to life and don't even have to let it sit out in the sun. Now they have a deep sound on all three drums. The super tumba rumbles.......

Madlatin
"Some things become more valuable when they are shared"
Madlatin

Return to CongaSet and accessories